Post-Game Talk: [GM5] Canucks defeat Panthers | 5-3 (Hughes, Soucy, Pettersson, Kuzmenko, & Boeser) | Bend, Don’t Break

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The issue was your expectations. Hronek has been solid all over the ice.
He has been okayish. He isnt great defensively. The few very loud mistakes like against the 2 on 1s come to mind.

He just takes opportunities from Quinn to move the puck. That pair is less then the sum of its parts.

We need to see him carry the 2nd pair.

Its very early but so far that trade doesnt look good.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
The trade looks very good. PH can play 25 min a night in all situations. He doesn’t make the lineup, he just plays on one of the best D pairings in the game. Soon to be 26 and entering his prime. I’d like him on his own paring with Ian Cole but they need to find a capable partner for Quinton. I keep coming back to a Beauvillier for Fabbro swap. Maybe the local kid gets a jolt playing here.

Bitching about this trade seems asinine to me. They needed a minute munching RD since they let Tanev go…..I pay that price all day. Sami Salo, Kevin Bieksa, Chris Tanev to…….. Erik Gudbranson, Tyler Myers and a steaming pile of shit.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The trade looks very good. PH can play 25 min a night in all situations. He doesn’t make the lineup, he just plays on one of the best D pairings in the game. Soon to be 26 and entering his prime. I’d like him on his own paring with Ian Cole but they need to find a capable partner for Quinton. I keep coming back to a Beauvillier for Fabbro swap. Maybe the local kid gets a jolt playing here.

Bitching about this trade seems asinine to me. They needed a minute munching RD since they let Tanev go…..I pay that price all day. Sami Salo, Kevin Bieksa, Chris Tanev to…….. Erik Gudbranson, Tyler Myers and a steaming pile of shit.
Complaining about this trade is completely valid if the team ends up being weighed down too much by it’s inadequacies elsewhere

If they can correct those asap, it will have been a good move

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
He has been okayish. He isnt great defensively. The few very loud mistakes like against the 2 on 1s come to mind.

He just takes opportunities from Quinn to move the puck. That pair is less then the sum of its parts.

We need to see him carry the 2nd pair.

Its very early but so far that trade doesnt look good.

Uhh what?

This roster is so pathetically thin on RHD imagine this roster without Hronek. There is no other competent right side side defender.

The conclusion is you think either
a) Horvat up the middle instead of Hronek makes us a better team
b) Think we could have overpaid in UFA to stopgap the need.
c) would prefer a prospect like Colby Barlow be in our pipeline instead of Hronek

My suspicion is you weren't fond of the trade at the time and now you are justifying it by saying Hronek has been "okay'ish".

Hronek has been exactly what this team needed. He's not phenomenal he's a very good player though.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Uhh what?

This roster is so pathetically thin on RHD imagine this roster without Hronek.
The trade makes us a bit better in the short term... I dont think we are there yet. To be making trades at the dead line that make us a bit better in the short term.
There is no other competent right side side defender.
Agreed.
The conclusion is you think either
a) Horvat up the middle instead of Hronek makes us a better team
b) Think we could have overpaid in UFA to stopgap the need.
c) would prefer a prospect like Colby Barlow be in our pipeline instead of Hronek

or d) we dont have the core pieces or cap steucture or prospects and picks to go for it.

Do you really think we are worse off with a Schenn level UFA playing with QH?
My suspicion is you weren't fond of the trade at the time and now you are justifying it by saying Hronek has been "okay'ish".
Ok so I secretly have been impressed..?
Hronek has been exactly what this team needed. He's not phenomenal he's a very good player though.
I keep hearing this.

I would really like to see it too, and most definitely away from Quinn Hughes.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
The trade makes us a bit better in the short term... I dont think we are there yet. To be making trades at the dead line that make us a bit better in the short term.

Agreed.

or d) we dont have the core pieces or cap steucture or prospects and picks to go for it.

Do you really think we are worse off with a Schenn level UFA playing with QH?

Ok so I secretly have been impressed..?

I keep hearing this.

I would really like to see it too, and most definitely away from Quinn Hughes.

You're not giving a proper analysis of the trade.

You are disagreeing with the philosophy and direction management has gone with the team.

Basically it doesn't matter how Hronek plays you didn't like the trade when it happened and you're staying in your lane on it.

Reactions: arttk

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You're not giving a proper analysis of the trade.

You are disagreeing with the philosophy and direction management has gone with the team.

Basically it doesn't matter how Hronek plays you didn't like the trade when it happened and you're staying in your lane on it.
Thats not how I operate.

I think Miller has been fantastic this year and I strongly disagree extending him was the right idea.

Pointless to continue this discourse when you think I am simply being dishonest.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
JT has been great this year and the trade is looking like a landslide win. Probably been our best forward so far

I wanted to trade both Horvat and JT but management/ownership has made it clear their goal is playoffs. Looks like they picked correctly with JT over Bo

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
JT has been great this year and the trade is looking like a landslide win. Probably been our best forward so far

I wanted to trade both Horvat and JT but management/ownership has made it clear their goal is playoffs. Looks like they picked correctly with JT over Bo
I think Tampa did okay in that trade too.

I have not looked, but I hear rumours they did fine.

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
What the stats imply , and what all the Canucks media saw ,run contrary to what you saw....OEL didnt resemble the injured, broken immobile D man of last year at all.

If Hughes and Hronek were injured, would you be nitpicking Cole or Soucy for fumbling the puck on the PP...?..

Its your opinion, and you're entitled to it, but I think you watched the game with the anti-OEL bias goggles on.
I tend to be more critical of players wearing the Canucks uniform, and I must admit I was quite disappointed with Hronek's performance in the last game (and overall this season), despite his high utilization. If Cole or Soucy were fumbling the puck on the power play, yes, I'd be quick to voice my concerns about our defensive depth. Also, I wouldn't label their game as "dominant" simply based on their increased ice time.

Typically, I don't pay much attention to the struggles of players from other teams, so this was a bit of an eye-opener for me. :naughty:

Perhaps I do have anti-OEL bias, but do you genuinely believe he was "dominant for most of the game", as you quoted?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I find it really hard to get a read on Hronek so far. I think he's been fine - hasn't really jumped out, made a few nice plays and a few minor mistakes like any defenseman would make. I haven't really noticed him out much there.. which may be a good thing or may just be a by-product of playing with someone in Hughes who has the puck so much.

I think as of now all I'm ready to say is that he's:

-Not as good as Hughes
-Better than Myers, Juulsen, Cole
-Better than Bear (who we saw play in the same role as Hughes for long periods of time last year)

So, I'm pretty comfortable in saying he's a good top4 dman based on all of that information. I'm definitely keeping open the possibility that he's going to be more than that, but that's where I'm at so far.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I find it really hard to get a read on Hronek so far. I think he's been fine - hasn't really jumped out, made a few nice plays and a few minor mistakes like any defenseman would make. I haven't really noticed him out much there.. which may be a good thing or may just be a by-product of playing with someone in Hughes who has the puck so much.

I think as of now all I'm ready to say is that he's:

-Not as good as Hughes
-Better than Myers, Juulsen, Cole
-Better than Bear (who we saw play in the same role as Hughes for long periods of time last year)

So, I'm pretty comfortable in saying he's a good top4 dman based on all of that information. I'm definitely keeping open the possibility that he's going to be more than that, but that's where I'm at so far.
I do wonder what type of partner would excel with Hughes. Hughes is so good with the puck that I think no matter who the partner is, Hughes will/should be the one carrying the puck and making things happen and his partner will need to take on a much more limited role offensively. Feels like Hronek is in that position right now where his strengths aren't really being used right now.

Reactions: m9

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I tend to be more critical of players wearing the Canucks uniform, and I must admit I was quite disappointed with Hronek's performance in the last game (and overall this season), despite his high utilization. If Cole or Soucy were fumbling the puck on the power play, yes, I'd be quick to voice my concerns about our defensive depth. Also, I wouldn't label their game as "dominant" simply based on their increased ice time.

Typically, I don't pay much attention to the struggles of players from other teams, so this was a bit of an eye-opener for me. :naughty:

Perhaps I do have anti-OEL bias, but do you genuinely believe he was "dominant for most of the game", as you quoted?
Its all part of Benning defence syndrome Im afraid.

Reactions: Frankie Blueberries

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad