Post-Game Talk: [GM41] Canucks defeat Islanders | 5-2 (Hughes, Hronek, Pettersson, Myers, & Joshua) | WAGON

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Yah ... well... this team is looking more and more legit. Very complete game and sheer dominance at many points.

Good

Most everyone played well but some, in particular, with very good games

Pettersson - maybe he is better on the wing than center. His line has to be the hotttest in the League and Pettersson hockey smarts and puck movement were superb.

Miller - game has matured a great deal since coming here. Does what he has to to allow the team to suceed rather than being off playing his own game. Work off the puck has improved so much. Fact he is making 8 mill (given the way contracts are being upped) is huge for the team. Good on Allvin for making the deal and wise of them to choose Miller over Horvat. Also, have to admit the trade of a first by Benning was one of the few things he got right.

Garland - starting to get a few points. Has been outstanding on the road trip. Tonight just more proof of what he can provide. Line led by Garland were excellent . Noted that if the canucks get scored or if team needs to get back momentum, its the Blueger line that is coming out.

Myers - putting together a good season. Rants about him should be ended but some people are so commtted to blaming things on Myers they won't. Makes a single mijstake and people will be down his throat. People are too concerned about maybe they were wrong about Myers to let the evidence in front of their own eyes be acknowledged.

Hronek - just crippling people with his shots. First goal was a beauty. Thought he was better getting position and in his puck movement in this game than he has been over the last few.

Hughes - just remarkable player - maybe the best in team history. Certainly he must be the best skater team has ever had. Another night were he dominated. Maybe underrated part of his game is his touch with the puck.

Soucy - uses his stick very effectively and seems to improve any pairing he is on. Plays calmly and always seems to move puck to the open player. Got butt-ended in this game and Lee should have got 5.

deSmith - had to make some critical saves late in the first which were important to the win. Probably playing as well as Demko at this time

Others

Mikheyev - improved effort especially in the first two periods. Had better wheels and was much more in the play.

Kuzmenko - obvioulsy the biggest disappointment this year. But he is giving it what he has got and trying to remake his game to suit the Canuck system. (and that's not easy for any player - took Miller a season or two) Was better on the forecheck. However, still needs to move the puck quicker and not take the extra dangle or make the extra move to get space to take a shot.

Hoglander - is improving all aspects of his game. Much less stop and start or lack of back checking. Turning into a bona vide NHLer. In the long run might be a true second liner who can supply offense.

Juulsens - funny how his career has gone. First rounder who appeared a bust and was relegated to the minors. No one, including me, had any faith in him. But he stuck with it and has turned things around. Shows that the scouts who originally saw some potential did see something. Testimony to sticking with it. One thing that has vastly improved is that he moves the puck much faster. In Abbotsford, much more packing the puck before outletting it and a lot less speed in closing on players.

Reffing in this game was so situational. Islanders could have got numerous penalties (although late call on Pageau didn't seem one of them). Refs ignored them since Islanders already a couple of penalties. Instead, they made some make-up calls on the Canucks such as the one on Lafferty.
Crippling people with shots lol

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I don't like the idea of selling low on Kuzmenko.

It's what people wanted to do with Boeser a couple of seasons ago.
I think sometimes the best trades you make are the ones you don't make. Boeser Miller Garland. All these guys could've been moved at some point the past year but thankfully they are still here.

I'd probably hang on to Kuz and try to find someone to mesh with him.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Who are we moving out though? We are right against the cap. We won't be able to grab a player unless we unload a current roster player.
If we have a chance to get a Lindholm tier 2c as much as I love the guy Kuzmenko seems the obvious choice. Tho I'd prefer it be It to be Mikaheyev.This also opens up a spot for podz and let's us drop Suter down to make the 4th line better.
Something I thought I wouldn't say is I'm fine with our defence, we have 7 guys who deserve to be in the lineup.
Who are we moving out though? We are right against the cap. We won't be able to grab a player unless we unload a current roster player.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I think sometimes the best trades you make are the ones you don't make. Boeser Miller Garland. All these guys could've been moved at some point the past year but thankfully they are still here.

I'd probably hang on to Kuz and try to find someone to mesh with him.

The problem is keeping $5 mil just hanging around not doing much isn't a great thing.

I'm still a little skeptical of the team overall. I will say that in a year where I thought they'd be hard press to make the playoffs, the team has really turned things around. The additions have sparkled and all the regulars are playing at where we knew they could.

Reactions: Indiana

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
It disgusts me that James Elmer Benning, got us the Entire Lotto Line, Hughes and Demko. Benning you were the shittiest of GM's but you sure hit a home run on this 1 line.
I chalk it up to being that we sucked for so long and eventually with our high draft picks we were due to uncover some gems.

Problem is he had zero idea on how to build a supporting cast and implement a system.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I chalk it up to being that we sucked for so long and eventually with our high draft picks we were due to uncover some gems.

Problem is he had zero idea on how to build a supporting cast and implement a system.
He didn’t know how to manage the cap.
He didn’t know how to manage people and retain talent.
He didn’t know how to hire a competent head coach.
He didn’t know how to manage assets and cut bait/get value for pending free agents.
He didn’t know how to evaluate professional talent.

f*** that guy, ruined this team for a decade.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
He didn’t know how to manage assets and cut bait/get value for pending free agents.

But that decade is finally over. The sun is rising once again my friend.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Is it too early to start thinking about the playoff picture?

Pacific first round is going to be a bloodbath.

If we can avoid the Golden Knights and Kings and let them cannibalize each other over a 7 game series, that would be huge.

Even better if we can get a matchup like Nashville in the first round on top of that.
Getting Seattle would be ideal with the super easy travel and a fun (so far) rivalry. They’ve been rolling lately so hopefully they can grab one of the wild card spots.

Reactions: Indiana and arttk

The Optimist

Jun 5, 2009
2754 days of hell

He didn't know how to manage his time.
He didn't know how to handle criticism.

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
Juulsens - funny how his career has gone. First rounder who appeared a bust and was relegated to the minors. No one, including me, had any faith in him. But he stuck with it and has turned things around. Shows that the scouts who originally saw some potential did see something. Testimony to sticking with it. One thing that has vastly improved is that he moves the puck much faster. In Abbotsford, much more packing the puck before outletting it and a lot less speed in closing on players.
Had no idea he was a first rounder, let alone from surrey (home town pretty much)... that was like a while ago. Makes me so much happier.

Reactions: Indiana and quat

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Ian McIntyre's on the radio right now saying how insanely happy Garland has been and how his teammates think he's crazy - but in a good way. He's cracking them all up.

I absolutely love hearing we have a happy team.

Reminds me of when Schneider was doing all the impressions. Maybe Garland can take some notes.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Missed the game for work. Just watched the recap and wow were those goals nice. Snipe from Hronek, a whos your daddy play and goal by Hughes, beauty tic tac toe Petey, Myers with a blast off the rush-make that man a winger cowards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad