Post-Game Talk: [GM4] Canucks lose to Lightning | 3-4 (Boeser, Myers, & Miller | .500 Hockey Club

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Lots of Myers defenders post-game, not just Drance. Apparently he just needs more structure and has decent underlying stats. iMac admitted the quiet part out loud when he said we’re basically stuck with him anyways and anyone we replace him with internally is likely worse.
is iMac playing a gimmick?

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Hughes, JT and Hogs look very good

Kuz is barely more noticeable than Beau, still lots of faith there tho.

EP looks like broken EP again. Him standing still with the puck and just repeatedly deferring to Hughes in the dying seconds instead of changing the angle and taking a shot is like a metaphor for his game these past 3 years.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Drance was going on about how blaming Myers was incorrect. He said you should blame the top players for not playing good enough. Obviously paraphrasing.

I actually disagree strongly. In such a tight league gross mistakes are the difference in games. And tonight was the best example of that. Simply replacing Myers with a legitimate top four defenceman completely changes the outcome of games.
That was for the Philly game.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Was Myers that bad this game? I didn’t catch the whole game but thought he was ok. Friedman was bad.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
To be fair the main thing I remember about Soucy from last year is when he took the absolute dumbest penalty I've ever seen and cost the Kraken a game.

He's okay. He's an NHL caliber defender, but he's a bottom pairing guy.

i was a big fan of signing soucy but as a 5th guy who can play up a bit in a pinch and brings some size and toughness. somehow the expectation became he was going to be a defensive anchor next to hronek or hughes which was absurd. like you said he's a bottom pairing guy on an ideal team

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Can we use LTIR for Myers? He clearly has something wrong with him and has forgot how to play the game.
Lots of Myers defenders post-game, not just Drance. Apparently he just needs more structure and has decent underlying stats. iMac admitted the quiet part out loud when he said we’re basically stuck with him anyways and anyone we replace him with internally is likely worse.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
It’s up to RT to adjust the personnel for next game. This is where preseason was optimal for trying new things and we never did. He needs to let go of his stubbornness of LD,RD and try Cole/Soucy on the right side because Myers absolutely can not be in the top 4.

Especially for defence I would try this - send down Juulsen and call up Hirose.

Hughes - Cole
Soucy - Hronek
Hirose - Myers

Myers does not touch any special teams

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Man, at this point it feels like as long as they continue to dress Myers they aren't a serious team.
He's an NHL Dman but he's in his head and his time here is beyond over. I don't even take him seriously, when I see that he's in a puck battle or the puck moves to him in the offensive zone I just smirk and 'tsk'.

To be somewhat fair to the team, we have a really tough schedule to start for a team trying to find it's sea-legs. Two against Edmonton and then a 4 game eastern swing is just bizarre but it feels like we have some variation of it every year.

Anyhow,

Miller line was decent all night.

4th line was decent. Hoglander had an absolute tazmanian devil shift in the third. More of that Hoggy.

Our 3rd line, aside from some good forechecking from Joshua isn't really a serious line, it's just a bunch of players. We really miss Mikheyev and Blueger.

Petey line is hamstrung. Petey and Kuzmenko need a puck retriever with speed to play with them (unless we hit the lottery and they had another star to play with). Garland is a waste of time there. Just detracts from what Petey and Kuz can do. Garland is a 3rd line luxury, he's playing himself off of that line and reconfirming that that is what he is.

Interestingly, I strongly disliked the acquisition of Garland. I talked myself into liking OEL because I had liked him before and I'll wear the goat antlers on that one, but I was right on Garland, never made sense for this team.

Hughes plays the game at a different gear. Not his best game overall, but this kid is a superstar and I don't even think we have seen his top level. Imagine if he got to play with Devon Toews and had Byram and others playing on different pairings? He's not that far behind Makar.

I don't understand playing Hronek with Hughes. I get that you want a good top pairing, but them together somewhat neuters one of Hronek's big strengths in puck moving. He's not a fantastic guy for skating with the puck but he's a skilled and incisive breakout passer, something we lack in a big way.

I like what I see from Soucy. Not sure about Friedman. Obviously he's a 7th or 8th on a good D core but we don't have one.

I guess we can count Ian Cole as one more player (including Hughes) who can't predict what hairbrained bullshit Myers will do and has their game diminished by playing with him. I really appreciated and admired what OEL was able to turn Myers into by communicating a whole bunch with him, it's the best he has ever looked, but when the wheels fell off of OEL that was it for any utility from Myers.

Ultimately, when we get our forwards back we're probably a wildcard team. Tragic that we're basically a better allocation of the 11 million for Myers and Garland away from being a really formidable team.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

The thing about Myers that makes him so "special" is that when he messes up, he messes up royally.

This play is a good example.

And that giveaway on the other PK; the horrendous turnover is one thing but then he always follows it up by flailing about and accomplishing absolutely nothing.

Every player messes up but it's like when he messes up he makes sure it ends up as a goal against.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Any time the goalie is the best player on the ice loss after loss there are lots of finger pointing to be done.

4-3 loss and Demko made it close. What if other teams started scoring goals against Vancouver at a 24% rate?

Petey's play looks a lot like it did under coach Green. There does seem to be something. He isn't carrying, processioning the puck as much. Getting rid of it fast, maybe too fast. System? Or something else.

Only one other goalie that has played more than two games in the league has faced as much rubber per game so far this year, Chicago's.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
Nashville is so ridiculous giving schenn 9 mill over 3 years. He could help us a lot right now

Hughes Schenn
Soucy Hronek
Cole Myers with limited minutes

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
Myers is France’s new Green. Taking a flimsy contrarian stance to argue that everyone else is overreacting.

Drance is turning into that “nice guy” in relationships who just has to play Devil’s Advocate with everything. Sometimes I don’t need to debate the ethics of honey mustard vs plum sauce Steve please just stop talking.

Sonny A

Feb 6, 2023
I think the reality is that this is just a mediocre team at best with its current construction. There are a lot of really good pieces. There are some not so good pieces and there are some pieces that are decent but don't mesh well together.

Friedman had a rough first game. Bad timing on the fight. Bad choice of fighting partner which frankly lead to him being embarrassed. Also had terrible gap control on Eyssimont's goal. Almost single handedly turned the tide for the lightning in the second period.

Myers was well, Myers. Some good play, some steady moments but again some atrocious errors at the worst times. That being said, he was not alone. There were several glaring errors by various members of the team ( Friedman, Cole, etc) that directly lead to goals against.

This is turning into a rambling post mostly out of frustration but there are other mistakes, even by our top players that while they aren't egregious, kill momentum. Like miss handling the puck at the blue line, under no pressure, while the team has sustained pressure in the offensive zone which completely nullifies all the energy expended and momentum gained from said pressure. Miller, Hughes and Petey all guilty of this last night.

Then you have guys like Beauvillier and to a lesser extent Garland who just don't seem to be a good fit anywhere in the line up. Plays always dying on their sticks because stylistically they do not mesh well with their linemates.

Also I feel like this team is still constantly physically pushed around. In board battles, net front battles and post whistle scrums. They are expending much more energy all game long fighting an uphill physical battle against larger opponents. Not ideal over the course of a game or season for that matter.

Anyway just my opinions and takeaways from last night's game. Take it for what it's worth. ( not much)

Last edited:

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
In case you’re wondering if the eye test lines up with the numbers so far, the Canucks are 30th in score adjusted xGF% at 5v5, largely on the back of being 31st in score adjusted xGA/60.

Small sample means you shouldn’t put much weight on that carrying forward but it’s pretty ugly so far.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
In case you’re wondering if the eye test lines up with the numbers so far, the Canucks are 30th in score adjusted xGF% at 5v5, largely on the back of being 31st in score adjusted xGA/60.

Small sample means you shouldn’t put much weight on that carrying forward but it’s pretty ugly so far.

Was thinking of this yesterday and was going to specifically ask you, is there a way to see a player's zone time? Not starts but the total amount of time they spend in each zone. Ideally 5v5.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Been saying for the longest Drance is a bozo. Guy is insufferable. We desperately need a top level reporter for the team.
PJ is top notch. Drance doesn’t know the sport. Has never played even at a novice or beer league level similar to Shah or Janda.

The effort was a bit in and out but it was far better than the Flyers game. That flu is nasty as my household can attest. They need Mik and Teddy back and they badly need a competent RH D man. Barry Trotz oversaw Beau’s best years in NYI with a couple deep post season runs. There’s got to be a deal to be made there for one of Carrier or Fabbro.

If Hughes shoots that puck a half inch to the left its 3-1. Demko got caught wandering on the second goal but did make some great saves.

Spilt the next 2 and they are 3-3 with 5 of 6 on the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad