GDT: [GM37] Canucks vs Senators | Tues. Jan 2nd, 7pm | SNP | Ringing in the New Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Usually , its a no brainer..but not so much now..Juulsen has been playing good low event defence lately, and you cant exactly sit Cole, Z, or Myers.

Not the worst position to be in.

Soucy was pretty good at baby sitting Myers before that, so Myers and Soucy, and Juulsen and Zad? Would that work?

Cole should be the odd man out, he's not been effectively for a while now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Apparently Soucy is game-time decision for the Sens game, but if he doesn't draw in, he'll definitely be ready for the opener of the Canucks marathon 7-game road-trip in St. Louis.

Never thought I'd say it, but Juulsen if probably a better fit right now than Cole,. who's been struggling.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Can't happen. Hertl carries a cap hit of $8.137 M. There is no way for the Canucks to absorb that salary. That said, obviously Hertl would be a great addition for the Canucks.
Its doable, and it's doable without losing anything significant from the roster. Just have to be willing to pony up, and this is absolutely the year to do it. Things will be harder in the seasons to come.

Cole and Suter make nearly 7 combined, looks like we have over 3 in space already. Mikeyev is another 4.75

Oh yea, it can be done, and should be. EP not signing a contract after a monster season where he could ask for the moon, is also suspect as hell. Having another top C is good leverage, and may be needed going forward.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Jacques Martin is coaching the Sens again. Really hope that lights a fire under Yashins lazy ass.

Seriously...the Sens are f***ing terrible and have had comically bad goaltending. I fully expect a 3-0 Sens win.

Holy shit, I remember my first learning of John Tortorella because of his quote on Martin's firing (I began watching TSN right after the Flames eliminated the Canucks that year). I remember naively wondering who would want to play for that guy? Well, I think he was right. Sens had no right to fire him over Lalime's worst game of his life. I miss those so-hard-done-by Sens that never quite had enough ink to sign the deal.

Looks like the coaching carousel landed on him a la Bones in Dallas. I'm glad for them both. Bowness was perhaps the best assistant coach the Canucks ever had the privilege in hiring, in particular.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Can't happen. Hertl carries a cap hit of $8.137 M. There is no way for the Canucks to absorb that salary. That said, obviously Hertl would be a great addition for the Canucks.

The cap hit absorbed by the team is pro-rated, so as each day passes the hit will be lessened while our cap room remains stagnant?****

I'd advocate for (supposing my assumption above is true) some package including Kuzmenko and next year's 1st round pick. Why?

96 - still relatively young, cost-controlled for next year and might very well be SJ's most skilled winger should he be added. Worst-case scenario I truly believe would be you, you pump his minutes up and he only maybe pots 20-25 goals by the deadline and you trade him to a contender for a 2nd/3rd which makes sense to recoup this cost at this stage for SJ.

'25 1st - Bit of a trojan-horse pick to include. Why not this years? 1. You are telling your team, hey we added this tool for you to use, he's very good and we believe in this group will repeat this next year. Outside of that, 2. is the real reason, which is simply the pick made this year will be 1 whole year more developed, and we will need ELCs down the road to be big contributors if we want a wider window to promise Petey/Quinn. This year's would be foolish to include should our ONLY big contributor from the first two drafts is Willander, which I have deep-seated suspicions about thanks to our historical draft record. Including this pick I think is an attractive option for SJ, as much as it is for us. This pick can be treated as found money now for us.

This alone won't get it done, but it's a start I think. Podkolzin would also have to be included and even then I think you need a tiny bit more pizzazz for SJ to co-sign. That's how we can clear it THIS year, going forward I have no clue...you're probably also saying goodbye to Garland in the offseason, I don't know if Garland is at all attractive for SJ. and digging in the D bargain bin again in FA. So, we are l

****1000% not confident this is true, I failed accounting 101 twice in college and someone should correct me if my understanding is flawed. Really not sure about this claim.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Have to think he intends the guys not named Noah Juulsen to see this and know they could come out.
Love this. Only took us to year 6 of Myers’ contract to even potentially having him come out, lol. Hallelujah (although I think they will take out Cole or Juulsen).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Something is nagging me about this game.....Ottawa plays a run and gun style.....atrocious defensively....but if the Canucks give up more than a few odd-man rushes, the Sens have the young talent to fill the net.

This is a game where the Canucks need to lock it down, and outwait the Sens. Sooner or later the mistakes will come.

And their New Year's resolution has to be to 'fix the PP'!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad