GDT: [GM37] Canucks vs Senators | Tues. Jan 2nd, 7pm | SNP | Ringing in the New Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
WHEN: January 2nd, 7:00PM PST
WHERE: Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC
TV: Sportsnet Pacific
RADIO: Sportsnet 650

Canucks Line-Up:

Mikheyev-Pettersson-Kuzmenko
Di Giuseppe-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Åman-Suter-Lafferty

Hughes-Hronek
Zadorov-Myers
Cole-Juulsen

Demko

Senators Line-Up:

Tkachuk-Norris-Giroux
Tarasenko-Stützle-Batherson
Kubalik-Greig-Kelly
Brannstrom-Kastelic-MacEwen

Sanderson-Zub
Chychrun-Hamonic
Chabot-JBD

Korpisalo

Last edited:
Reactions: Canuckle1970

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
The last time the Canucks lost to the Flyers, they went on a bit of a winning streak. Here's hoping the Canucks can pull off a similar winning streak once again after being horrendously outplayed by the Flyers.

I really wish the Canucks played sooner than Tuesday so they can redeem themselves from that lack of effort against Philadelphia.

Hopefully Miller and Petey wake up.

Go Canucks

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another potential 'trap game' for the Canucks. Sens are atrocious defensively, but they've got some talented young players up front who can fill the net if they get room and time.

Every game is going to get tougher in the back-half of the season. But Canucks desperately need a result as they gear up for one of their longest road-trips of the season.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Hoglander was abusing Flyers Dmen on the forecheck and cycle. When the game was still in reach, he single handily took the puck from 2 Flyers to set up Amans great chance in the 3rd.

Of all the players to scratch for a nothingburger in PDG, he's among the last that should be.

dez

Mar 3, 2012
Hoglander was abusing Flyers Dmen on the forecheck and cycle. When the game was still in reach, he single handily took the puck from 2 Flyers to set up Amans great chance in the 3rd.

Of all the players to scratch for a nothingburger in PDG, he's among the last that should be.
It seems, in recent games he takes a stupid stick checking penalty early, one game to sit and watch isn't going to hurt.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I just wish that rotating top 6 spot beside Miller was filled full time by an established top 6/9 powerforward. We are still missing that element and consistent 5v5 pressure. Someone like a Lawson Crouse/Alex Tuch type - but impossible to acquire

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
I just wish that rotating top 6 spot beside Miller was filled full time by an established top 6/9 powerforward. We are still missing that element and consistent 5v5 pressure. Someone like a Lawson Crouse/Alex Tuch type - but impossible to acquire
Tomas Hertl seems such a painfully obvious target. Would be more interested in him on the EP line though. JT can carry a rotation, while Hertl could bring a lot of what JT did to the lotto line with EP/Kuz.

They could win it all this year with an addition like that. Don't give a single **** about the future cap if that happens.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I got invited to this game, and I really wish I could go.

I however can't make it due to a work meeting.

This should mean a HUGE convincing victory, since I can't watch, and had to turn down tickets.

Enjoy it, gentlemen.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
When was the last time PDG had a good game? Maybe the first few weeks of the season ?

Hes been far less noticeable than Hog

Honestly, those players have probably been fairly equally effective this year.

PDG has totally dried up offensively but is always responsible and in position defensively.

Hoglander has been productive for his minutes but his play without the puck on his stick has been anywhere between mediocre and outright bad. Last game was outright bad.

All things being equal, though, it makes more sense to give minutes to a younger player.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Tomas Hertl seems such a painfully obvious target. Would be more interested in him on the EP line though. JT can carry a rotation, while Hertl could bring a lot of what JT did to the lotto line with EP/Kuz.

They could win it all this year with an addition like that. Don't give a single **** about the future cap if that happens.
Can't happen. Hertl carries a cap hit of $8.137 M. There is no way for the Canucks to absorb that salary. That said, obviously Hertl would be a great addition for the Canucks.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Happy New Year

Interested to see if Cole comes out when Soucy returns. Given Juulsen’s play and Tocchet’s obsession with natural sides, as well as Cole’s age, seems like it may be in the cards.
Money and time. Cole makes more and he has had time off, Juulsen sits IMO
Another potential 'trap game' for the Canucks. Sens are atrocious defensively, but they've got some talented young players up front who can fill the net if they get room and time.
If the Canucks start getting much better PK work then the larger Dmen can start not just moving players out but eliminating them with intensity. The bigger player often gets tagged with a penalty in collisions just due to size. Those types of penalties are not as numerous in the playoffs but with size the statement of "clear the front of the net" has real meaning.

I wonder if Hoglander is getting the Kempf treatment. Bieska, to paraphrase, said they don't bench the big dogs, they send the message through the littles guys.
For as much as Tocchet has been touted for benching everyone only Miller sat for 3 shifts in one game over two months ago. Although Kuzmenko could be used as an example but the team started losing shortly after that.

The Senators are still in the playoff mix but they have to win most of the up to 5 games they have in hand.
Tkachuk will be a handful for Hughes and Hronek and no doubt would throw down with Miller, a bigger loss to the Canucks considering Miller's point production, face off abilities and he would be off the PP too. So I can think he is a target for the Sens more than Petey. They are starting to think strategically. Get either off the ice and a much better chance at winning.

The Senators have had the better results head to head the last 4 years with the Canucks winning only 4 of 12 games.

Sens win but a feisty game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad