Post-Game Talk: [GM20] Canucks lose to Avalanche | 2-5 (Hoglander & Miller) | Ref Show

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
This grainy screenshot barely shows any contact, and the proximate contact with Demko is from the Canuck.

Let's just be objective man.

For sure but players being pushed into goalies has been called many times

If this was 10 years ago I'd agree with you. But they got really strict with interference a few years ago.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
For sure but players being pushed into goalies has been called many times

If this was 10 years ago I'd agree with you. But they got really strict with interference a few years ago.
He was hardly even being pushed into Demko. It's barely a light battle in front of the crease.

Re bolded: Not really. Every time there's a goaltender interference challenge it's just a coin flip which way it's gonna go. No one really knows.

Reactions: BrendanGaunce4Selke

BrendanGaunce4Selke

Oct 11, 2023
there was no goaltender interference on that, even by the current weak standards

was just a shot demko didnt see and looked really awkward. im not blaming him though.

Just finished watching the game. Kind of like the Stars game through 2 periods, 2 good teams and not a lot in it. The Canucks carried play in the third but just didn't get the bounces in this one.

Strange game by the referees. It was almost as though they disagreed with Toronto giving the 5 and called some weak ones to even things up. Then they missed the Nichuskin cross check on Friedman, which was basically a much worse version of the same thing that Manson got kicked out for.

I disagree with posters saying Petterson was falling down to much, it seemed like much more a case of him just not drawing the penalties that he usually does, which is on the refs. That said he is second in the league (behind McDavid) in drawing penalties over the last 3-4 years, so maybe there has been some internal discussion about cracking down a little on him. The penalties he draws often look softer than McDavid's often do because he isn't moving at high speed, and kind of falls down splayed legged, but they are still trips.

The Canucks have more than cooled down on the Sv% and Sh% front from their initial torrid pace to the tune of them being ~8 goals under their expected goal differential over the last 7 games, shooting 9.3% and getting just 0.878 goaltending for a 0.97 PDO. The pundits will say "regression", but that is an example of the gambler's fallacy. Regression knows no history and their results (3-4) over those 7 games are worse than they deserved (probably should have been 5-2). The reality is somewhere in between the first 13 and the last 7 and they are still a good and likely playoff calibre team.
i feel like this is the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad