Post-Game Talk: [GM20] Canucks lose to Avalanche | 2-5 (Hoglander & Miller) | Ref Show

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Not sure what we are expecting here.

PDG is a journeyman AHL/NHL tweener with little offensive upside.

Beau is a bottom 6 winger who was percieved as clutch by a dinosaur GM and was rewarded with a stupid contract.

Joshua is a 4th liner making league min.

Garland is a middle 6 winger that can probably rack up points on a crap team if given the ice time. He has zero chemistry with the current roster and sometimes seems like he hates playing for this team.

I'm not blaming those players for not producing, it's expected.

Just saw a lot of posters saying the "the game was close, just not a lot of luck" and I'm saying maybe it really wasn't as close as you think and not just a matter of luck, it's more a matter of lack of talent/skill.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I have to say it, Juulsen looked great tonight. He looks a lot more relaxed out there. Been stepping his game up the past few games. Great to see since his first few games were a disaster.

Myers doesn't look so chaotic either.

Onto the next one..Go Canucks.
Have to agree.....Juulsen's two best games of the season have been the last two......Tocchet showed a lot of confidence in him, sending him out on the PK against the vaunted Av's PP.....and he responded with two key shot-blocks.

Clearly Tocchet sees something in him, and is letting him play through is mistakes. Unfortunately with the Canucks paper-thin depth on defense, they're going to need him going forward.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Still think there is a lot of work need to be done in the defensive zone. They still look like they are kind of looking around unsure about their positions on the ice. I think it shows that the team is still growing which is a terrific sign.

Need Pettersson playing a 100% then probably rattle off a 3-5 winstreak.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Had game within reach but overall thought Avs were the better team. Just got to get more out of certain players.

Good

Miller - Pressing a bit but really he has to. Can't carry the forward group all the time.

Hughes - was very good. Thought he was better than Makar but Makar has more and better players to work with. Hughes asked to do so much more whereas Avs can protect Makar and provide him easy plays to make. Hughes instead has to do most of it on his own.

Beauvillier - played well both ways. Just snake bit around the goal

Blueger - good puck support all game. Made some good set ups but butchered by others. Thought he was good positionally and covered back well in his zone. Is improving.

Bad

Boeser - I always get flak from the Boeser believers but he is bad. Others work so damn hard to get him the puck and he does so little with it. Far too slow to get anything off the rush and has to work so hard to get anywhere on the ice, he ends up bagged on defense. Creates nothing on his own. The deal that this management made with him (partly based on the idiocy of Benning) will haunt them. Boeser cannot skate well enough and nothing is going to change that. A cap albatross which prevents the team from picking up a bona vide winger or defenseman. Not Boeser's fault he is too slow but it's lucky he is not signed for too long term. Would say his acting display in this game was embarrassing.

Pettersson - back to Bambi-like game. Hard to contribute when you spent so much time on your butt. Progression he showed last year just a memory. Team must have him being a star and right now he can't deliver anything like that. Maybe the team should re-think signing him so quickly. Can't overly pay a player that facilitates so radically between being outstanding and then feeble.

Mikheyev - not good defensively, not good offensively. Part of the reason the Pettersson line is such a mess.

Others

Kuzmenko - no finish but a bit more snap in his play. Just about got on the end of things.

Juulsen - play in the first half the game was good (never thought I'd be saying that) but fell off in latter part. Got to handle people around the net better.

Hoglander - probably should have got more time. Like to see what he could do given the time Boeser got. (couldn't be much worse) Worth trying him higher in the lineup.

Garland - of late, I can see where people who want to trade him come from. Lot of whirling around but little coming from it.

Joshua - just so clumsy and awkward around the net. Just can't retain his balance and ends up falling backwards or to one side when he tries to shoot causing him to whiff badly. Does barge around and break up plays but that's about it.

Team looks even more banged up on defense and, of course, that has been the death knell for the Canucks for many years. You wonder how far they can push Hronek and Hughes.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Surprised at the mood around here. It wasn't our best performance but I'd personally argue they were the better team. We've won our fair share of games this year where we weren't the better team so losing one where we are isn't the worst thing I've ever seen.

Beauvillier is a very frustrating player.

Don't think it should be doom & gloom.

We've played well for the most part this year and I don't really think our schedule has been that weak after you factor in travel and lack of practice time.

Overall we're several steps ahead of where we've been in previous seasons. Right now we're a legit playoff contender but there's a big gap between that and legit Cup contender, we're not there yet both on the ice and on paper.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Don't think it should be doom & gloom.

We've played well for the most part this year and I don't really think our schedule has been that weak after you factor in travel and lack of practice time.

Overall we're several steps ahead of where we've been in previous seasons. Right now we're a legit playoff contender but there's a big gap between that and legit Cup contender, we're not there yet both on the ice and on paper.
Yeah, I think we're probably the 5th best team in the conference (behing LA/DAL/COL/VGK) and will need to make one more sort of shrewd move to get into that mix.

But I think this was a satisfactory performance today.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Surprised at the mood around here. It wasn't our best performance but I'd personally argue they were the better team. We've won our fair share of games this year where we weren't the better team so losing one where we are isn't the worst thing I've ever seen.

Beauvillier is a very frustrating player to watch.

Team structure and play has been slipping for a while now: how many of the last 10 games have we actually played well in?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Turning point in the first period was a dumb penalty by Garland, that they couldn't kill off.

If's obvious the Canucks would dearly love to trade Garland, but I suppose you have to admire Allvin's patience. He's waiting until the right hockey deal comes along. And it may be awhile yet.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Team structure and play has been slipping for a while now: how many of the last 10 games have we actually played well in?
this game

Beauvillier is a very frustrating player to watch.
the petey hate is getting out of control

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Solid effort from a lot of the guys. Mikheyev & Kuzmenko have to step it up a tad, Kuzmenko -3 Mikheyev -2. They’re good north south players but kind of lack agility, not going to beat Colorado in a track meet, need to play chippy hockey with quick puck support as a 5 man unit. Decent game overall from the Canucks.

Reactions: sting101

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I'm not blaming those players for not producing, it's expected.

Just saw a lot of posters saying the "the game was close, just not a lot of luck" and I'm saying maybe it really wasn't as close as you think and not just a matter of luck, it's more a matter of lack of talent/skill.

I think it was more a matter of habits than luck, although with some of the chances Joshua had... yeah it could've been a different game.

We had points where we were dominating the game but we didn't get enough pucks on net, Colorado simplified their defense & took away the middle which limited us. We made more mistakes on the defensive end & they took advantage when opportunities arose. Its two good talented teams tonight, one 'knows how to win' & the other is still learning those lessons.

It took Colorado's best game to beat us with our porous defense core so we shouldn't be too gloomy, but yes to get to the next level we definitely need to tweak the secondary players more.

Reactions: alternate and Flik

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Mikheyev seems to play with no urgency in his game. Very soft board play, gets outmuscled too easily, just no real motor. He has these short bursts of energy but it quickly wears off.

Hoglander has been terrific and has easily been one of our best forwards these last stretch of games. I’m hoping he gets more minutes and is given a shot higher up.

Another non factor game from Blueger. He has no real chemistry with anyone yet. He’s maybe still getting his legs up to speed but looks very rusty.

Garland and Beauvillier have been effective 5 on 5. Garland skates miles and plays chippy but doesn’t accomplish much. Beauvillier has been good alongside Lafferty but has been useless anywhere else in the line up.

Agree with alot of these comments. Pius Suter > Bluger.

Last edited:
Reactions: B-rock

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC

I think you can argue 4: Stars, Islanders, Sharks, Avalanche.

Games where they played alright but nothing special: Oilers (especially after the first), Ottawa, Leafs, Canadiens, Kraken

Outright bad: Flames

Certainly not fantastic but nothing as egregious as last year. There were a handful of games there where they looked outright fantastic but I think this last 10 is much closer to what I would expect moving forward.

A bubble / low Pacific seed team with growing pains.

Not to shift the blame but I think losing Suter and Soucy has been particularly rough since their depth is middling at best. Credit to Juulsem these past two games for cleaning up his game but in the long run he needs to be nowhere near this roster if they want longterm success.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
heard during the postgame show. sat ays vancouver is a defenseman away+another top 9 forward to competing with the likes of colorado and vegas golden knights.

Reactions: DFAC

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Soucy & Suter being missed, they make a significant difference for the team. Hoping we stay healthy going forward.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Pretty even game. Looking for the perfect shot and lacked a bit of net presence. A bounce either way though could have changed the outcome

Pettersson Kuzmenko and Boeser need to be firing pucks at a higher rate than they did tonight to be successful. 3 of the best shots on the team and looking for tap ins and easy plays in soft ice instead. Was frustrating to watch. At least Kuzmenko had jump, Pettersson was trying but is in a weird spot right now offensively. Seems odd to say given his points but you all have noticed it also he's just off balance and unable to pull off his magic. Boeser's worst game of the year, couple turnovers early and couldn't make any traction. Mikhayev you hope for more from in a top scoring line role. Wasn't skating at his best tonight

Miller Hughes and Hronek were horses. Hronek is particular has really surprised me how active he stays over huge minutes.
Beauvillier has earned a look in the top6 he has had good jump the last few games just needs to finish. Unfortunate turnover by Miller but instead of blaming the one guy you would give the green light to try and create i give Makar credit for being opportunistic and making a brilliant steal and then being good enough to beat Demko. Millers power move was the reason we were within striking distance

Hoglander had a good start and a nice goal then made some bad puck decisions after sitting for long stretches. Still has learning to do. PDG has faded as well as Cole who has spent most the year babysitting and is 34 so it's understandable. Demko struggles with those high range shots with traffic. Is what it is but it's definitely a weakness. Myers has been pretty solid for awhile have to give him some credit after i thought he was going to be an anchor all year. Liked Lafferty and Garland. Need to find a way to get Garland going with better linemates. Joshua looked sluggish tonight and missed a couple grade A chances. Blueger looks marginal and Juulsen after all the criticisms played a good game

Very enjoyable game with 2 forecheckers going most the night and a lot of creative skill. Georgiev did well to get the win. I barely noticed Johansen was playing

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
We deserved to win this.

Tockett should have challenged that 3rd goal.

33-18-5 under ricky boy now

Last edited:

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
idk why so many ppl are disappointed this is the reality of this team. our good start is the product of playing weak teams.

No, the reality is that we’re a good team who were never going to maintain the level they were playing at over a full season. They’re not getting the bounces they were getting early in the season. We’ve played some weaker teams and dealt with them, but we’ve also had a pretty tough travel schedule in recent weeks and it’s starting to show. We’re not at the contender level, but our record is far from a reflection of simply playing weak teams.

I’m guessing it was only a matter of time before you waded in with the relentless negativity though.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
No, the reality is that we’re a good team who were never going to maintain the level they were playing at over a full season. They’re not getting the bounces they were getting early in the season. We’ve played some weaker teams and dealt with them, but we’ve also had a pretty tough travel schedule in recent weeks and it’s starting to show. We’re not at the contender level, but our record is far from a reflection of simply playing weak teams.

I’m guessing it was only a matter of time before you waded in with the relentless negativity though.
PDO? :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad