Post-Game Talk: [GM15] Canucks defeat Canadiens | 5-2 (Garland, Mikheyev, Joshua, Boeser, and PDG) | Right Back At It

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
He's 19 and played like 50 games.
Right - and he's been basically floundering in almost all of them. It's clear he's not ready for the NHL right now. Let him cook where he can refine his talent.

Just reminds me of what the Oilers did with Draisaitl. Played nearly 40 games but he wasn't ready so they sent him back to juniors and let him develop there before an offseason of intense training. Draisaitl could've stayed the entire year but it was clear that he wasn't developing the necessary skills in the NHL environment

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Another non reassuring win.

We are def not dominating teams, but we are finding ways to squeak out wins. I suppose thats okay for now, but we will have to find our game when we play teams at the top of the conferences as opposed to the bottom.

I am very happy with the Canucks record so far, but im concerned by what im seeing on the ice during games.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Picking Slafkovsky first overall is gonna haunt the Habs for years to come… what a terrible pick.
Watched him during the Olympics. I’m not surprised at all he went. He was out playing men as a 17 year old. 1 goal 1 assist is bad yes but at the time he was going anywhere from 1-3.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Had three games myself yesterday (3 pm, 7:30 pm, 9:00 pm...I'm so damn tired) so didn't get to see any of the game. Looking at the numbers it seems like it may have been a loose affair but good to get back into the win column.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Had three games myself yesterday (3 pm, 7:30 pm, 9:00 pm...I'm so damn tired) so didn't get to see any of the game. Looking at the numbers it seems like it may have been a loose affair but good to get back into the win column.

1st period was sloppy. Canucks had more possession but Habs had more chances.

Canucks controlled the play in the 2nd. Had a good break that the Habs goal was overturned and build on the lead. Then continued on controlling in the 3rd.

Was a very solid game considering it was the 2nd of a back to back on the road.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.

Canucks controlled the play in the 2nd. Had a good break that the Habs goal was overturned and build on the lead. Then continued on controlling in the 3rd.

It was also a back to back for the Habs too though

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria

We are def not dominating teams, but we are finding ways to squeak out wins. I suppose thats okay for now, but we will have to find our game when we play teams at the top of the conferences as opposed to the bottom.

I am very happy with the Canucks record so far, but im concerned by what im seeing on the ice during games.
Got the win but it was sloppy.Hate these eastern conference trips.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

To be fair I think your under estimating Montreal they just beat Boston the night before. Similar to Philly there a tough team at the moment.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Watched him during the Olympics. I’m not surprised at all he went. He was out playing men as a 17 year old. 1 goal 1 assist is bad yes but at the time he was going anywhere from 1-3.
Don't get why they are not letting him build more confidence, either over in Europe or in the A. Especially, in a pressure cooker market like Montreal. Burning elc years for so little benefit.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Good game..entertaining as well..Canucks were the better team, and deserved the win....DeSmith was excellent (what a find he was..?)...Players that stood out for me were Garland,Joshua, Mikheyev, Boeser, Miller, and Hughes (who had the Bell Centre mesmerized with his terrific skating ability).

Would have been nice to win in Toronto, but I'd take two out of these three games in a NY minute...

Canucks wanted a good start to the season..Cant ask for better than this..Lets hope they keep rolling.

Reactions: Jimnastic

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I'd say that most Canuck fans are aware their record is better than their team. However, the losses and even some of the wins do show areas that need addressing, either through practice and coaching or by trying other players in those places.

I for one would hope they either improve their depth on the right side D or try a couple of the guys on their offside.

I'm definitely growing more confident that management and coaching know how to improve the team.

I don't get the love affair some have for Bear. I really doubt he's a decent answer to what ails the defence. It will be interesting to give Wolanin another chance or two.

Reactions: andora

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011

The powerplay was outstanding, complete and utter control, making Montreal look like amateurs. Didn’t score, Allen was good.

Teams seem to think their best chance is to let their goalie make the save, we move the puck so damn well on the man advantage

Reactions: Jimnastic

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Good game..entertaining as well..Canucks were the better team, and deserved the win....DeSmith was excellent (what a find he was..?)...Players that stood out for me were Garland,Joshua, Mikheyev, Boeser, Miller, and Hughes (who had the Bell Centre mesmerized with his terrific skating ability).

Would have been nice to win in Toronto, but I'd take two out of these three games in a NY minute...

Canucks wanted a good start to the season..Cant ask for better than this..Lets hope they keep rolling.
Early in the season, it's about getting points. And for the coaches to identify the areas of weakness. From Dec onwards, is when I expect the team to begin cleaning up their Oct/Nov mistakes or areas of concern. It's a long season, so don't expect every game to be great.

It's just 15 games and 5 of those games they've played Edm and Nash and secured all 10 points. They are 6-3-1 for 13/20 points in the other 10 games. They will have played more than half the league by the time Nov ends.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
For the 20+ years I've watched hockey, I've always felt like Montreal just has a bunch of 3rd liners or 3rd/4th/5th defensemen and a random top 50 player assembled into a lineup. I don't feel that way when I watch other teams unless they're rebuilding, and with Montreal they seem to do it while rebuilding or making the playoffs.

I know I am probably wrong, but I can't shake this out of my head.

No, this is definitely a thing and I've commented on it before.

For like 25 years dating back to the late 1990s, they've had basically some slight variation of the same forward group - a bunch of plucky, speedy, undersized middle-6 forwards with no real '1st line players' or gamebreaking talent.

If you look at the Koivu/Zednik/Petrov/Perreault teams circa 2000 they're basically the same thing as today with Suzuki/Caufield/Gallagher/whoever.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
been easy the last two games

I was away for the weekend and missed the Toronto game. Watched the Montreal game late last night after I got home and thought Hronek was excellent aside from that one play.

Thought the whole team (outside of Juulsen) looked good last night and was surprised at some of the negativity here. Shot attempts were lopsided through the point where we went up 2-0 and outside of a couple breakdowns I thought we generally controlled play while playing our 3rd game in 4 nights on the road. Montreal obviously aren't great but they aren't a pushover either.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Those last two 5-on-5 empty net goals are devastating if we ever want our PDO to return to the mean.
:help:

Won't affect our 5v5 stats!

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney

Disagree. Their last tough game was against Dallas, and they played brilliantly.

Reactions: geebster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad