Post-Game Talk: [GM15] Canucks defeat Canadiens | 5-2 (Garland, Mikheyev, Joshua, Boeser, and PDG) | Right Back At It

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
It is a valid question.
I’m not gonna make a lot of friends here saying this but after having watched a few Canucks games and they give “good regular season team but will fall short come playoff time” vibe if I may be honest. Reminds me a bit of the 2007-2008 Canadiens.
If I be was a wild card team in the west, I’d much rather face the Canucks than Vegas, Dallas or Colorado.
Just early season impressions.
My only question is do you not think the Habs would be in a better position right now if they took Nemec or Jiricek or Mintyukov with their 1st overall and then Michkov last year? Or even Cooley/Cutter and Michkov?

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
My only question is do you not think the Habs would be in a better position right now if they took Nemec or Jiricek or Mintyukov with their 1st overall and then Michkov last year? Or even Cooley/Cutter and Michkov?
Lol Cooley Cutter wanna bet I'm not the only one who sees cookie cutter? :laugh:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Posted this in another thread a week or so ago but figured it's worth putting here too. I went through and looked at what it would take for the Canucks to reach 95 points. Starting from the October 6-2-1 start, the Canucks need to do the following (or whatever permutations):

Nov: 7-7-1
Dec: 7-5-0
Jan: 7-5-1
Feb: 7-5-0
Mar: 7-5-1
Apr. 4-3-1

Stay about 1-2 games above .500 for the entirety of the season and they are golden. Since I put this together, they've gone 5-1-0 in November. They have 6 games over the course of this month that are against teams currently under .500 (Islanders, Flames, Sharks(2), and Kraken(2)). Canucks have a real opportunity to bank a lot more points over the next couple of months.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Posted this in another thread a week or so ago but figured it's worth putting here too. I went through and looked at what it would take for the Canucks to reach 95 points. Starting from the October 6-2-1 start, the Canucks need to do the following (or whatever permutations):

Apr. 4-3-1

Stay about 1-2 games above .500 for the entirety of the season and they are golden. Since I put this together, they've gone 5-1-0 in November. They have 6 games over the course of this month that are against teams currently under .500 (Islanders, Flames, Sharks(2), and Kraken(2)). Canucks have a real opportunity to bank a lot more points over the next couple of months.
waynes-world.gif

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It is a valid question.
I’m not gonna make a lot of friends here saying this but after having watched a few Canucks games and they give “good regular season team but will fall short come playoff time” vibe if I may be honest. Reminds me a bit of the 2007-2008 Canadiens.
If I be was a wild card team in the west, I’d much rather face the Canucks than Vegas, Dallas or Colorado.
Just early season impressions.

i think this team needs to actually play in the playoffs before we start evaluating what moves are needed to be contenders. a first time playoff team is unlikely to go on a cup run, but the experience will shape the team and it is likely some players are going to surprise in a good way.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

Apr. 4-3-1

They have 67 games left and need 70 points. If they stay hot until American Thanksgiving, they are basically a lock. Realistically, mid 100's is where we are heading. There as just so many BAD teams in our division that we play multiple times. I'm watching for the top 4, Vegas/Vancouver/LA/Anaheim to decouple from the other 4, who will slide into the ditch. Oilers are done. This coaching move was hilarious, it's about getting Conner McDavid to stay long term.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think the way how they are “developing” him is the bigger issue. What the f*** are they doing
According to the Montreal media, Slafkovsky was one of their best players in last night's game. I didn't watch the entire game, but he seemed pretty prominent to me.

I know there's been a hue and cry and getting down the AHL in Laval. But realistically, the Habs are still in the midst of a full-on rebuild. So is he really that much worse off in the NHL?

Reactions: ChilliBilly

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Picking Slafkovsky first overall is gonna haunt the Habs for years to come… what a terrible pick.

I thought he was very good for them in this game, easily the best NHL game I’ve seen him play. Flubbed a pass early which got LOLs but after that was around the puck a lot and looked dangerous. Turnstiled Hronek on one rush which isn’t easy.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Great win tonight, really took over the game in the second period and had great discipline aside from the poorly-timed 5-on-3. Big strength for us is how hard we play without taking penalties.

Picking Slafkovsky first overall is gonna haunt the Habs for years to come… what a terrible pick.

The "lowlight" reel of his game tonight was brutal. Does not look NHL-ready

Reactions: Indiana

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Right now we have a lot of guys outperforming their current contracts.

Petey, Hughes, Miller, Mik, Hronek, PDG, Demko, DeSmith.

We are getting a lot of surplus value.
When the Daniel and Henrick were hired a few years back they were asked how successful teams build Stanley Cup favourites and one of them replied "You have to have players that outperform their contracts" to paraphrase.

Quinntessential

Mar 25, 2013
For the 20+ years I've watched hockey, I've always felt like Montreal just has a bunch of 3rd liners or 3rd/4th/5th defensemen and a random top 50 player assembled into a lineup. I don't feel that way when I watch other teams unless they're rebuilding, and with Montreal they seem to do it while rebuilding or making the playoffs.

I know I am probably wrong, but I can't shake this out of my head.
I swear the Montreal crowd makes fringe level guys play way above their heads. Dale f***ing Weise was a star in Montreal. I think it's the hockey equivalent of the Seahawks crowd rattling the other teams and giving the home team a massive boost.

Reactions: Indiana and God

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

i mean, it's not exactly a terrible pick. it was a terrible draft year. maybe terrible development plan, but it's not like Shane Wright is lighting it up. or did you have Cooley or Mintyukov 1OA ?

For the 20+ years I've watched hockey, I've always felt like Montreal just has a bunch of 3rd liners or 3rd/4th/5th defensemen and a random top 50 player assembled into a lineup. I don't feel that way when I watch other teams unless they're rebuilding, and with Montreal they seem to do it while rebuilding or making the playoffs.

Agreed, they never had a star player. Last was maybe Kovalev and Subban (During his very short prime).

hm.. Carey Price ?

Reactions: mathonwy

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Felt the exact same way. Even when they were good with Kovalev, it seemed apparent that the absolute max the team could ever hope to accomplish was a second round exit. Always had a good collection of players but were entirely reliant on someone individually carrying the squad for any actual playoff success. Like the Oilers, always seemed to be tied down by the past or deference to the Quebecois.

Reactions: Indiana and God

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011

Welcome to the wonderful world of Marc Bergevin, responsible for the worst developmental culture in the entire league for a decade. I hope for Habs sake that Suzuki-Caufield can ascend past the crimes he committed against their franchise. Only 3.5 years left on the Josh Anderson deal...

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Welcome to the wonderful world of Marc Bergevin, responsible for the worst developmental culture in the entire league for a decade. I hope for Habs sake that Suzuki-Caufield can ascend past the crimes he committed against their franchise. Only 3.5 years left on the Josh Anderson deal...
It predates him though.

On the current Habs, Caufield is basically a worse version of Debrincat and I've never been that impressed with Suzuki, just like my viewings of Marner. I'm going to assume they basically overrate these guys like I do with Garland :laugh:

Reactions: quat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad