Post-Game Talk: [GM12] Canucks lose to Predators - 3-4 (Shootout) (Mikheyev, Miller, & Kuzmenko)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
This is quite an understatement. Dickinson is playing almost 16 minutes a game for the Hawks and has been solid. He obviously wasn't a fit here due to the hand thing and possible locker room issues but we gave up a f***ing 2nd as well and got complete trash back in Stillman...who makes 1.35M for both this season and the next. It's laughable.
You get what you pay for. Especially when you pair him with Myers.
I'm sure reading all the comments and replying to them is good for his psyche.
Social media is cancer.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Mentally weak team and their opponents know it.

“As soon as we scored that first goal, I felt like we had a mental advantage on them. They seemed to be on their heels a little bit. They were just flipping pucks out and we kept coming at them and got another goal and after that, I thought we pressured for a fourth and it didn’t come until in this shootout,” Predators defenceman Mattias Ekholm said.

i don’t doubt this is how nashville saw it. i am sure as they doing tape before the game, the message was, these are mentally weak losers and you are never out of it. we have a reputation and it means teams aren’t going to let up for the night no matter how big a lead we build.

but i don’t think that first goal was the real turning point. what i saw was us continuing to carry the play through the second period while myers was serving his triple penalty. but then in the last minute myers is back and immediately proceeds to flub a breakout, gets spun around a few times on the ensuing nashville cycle, and then we get caved in. that shift was the momentum nashville took into the intermission, where their coach 100% said “we have these losers right where we want them.”

i knew watching that shift that we were going to loserhe game. i nodded off during the intermission and woke up three minutes into the third and saw the 3-3 score and was like, sounds about right.

obviously i didn’t see the two goals but what i’m imagining is demko lets in that early, somewhat fluky goal, both he and the team get demoralized, which compounds exponentially because each of them doesn’t trust the other, and at the same time saros really really has milller’s (and omg dries’s) number, which is also in the team’s heads.

and that was the game. the only thing going on in bo’s head during the shootout was the possibility of losing. i felt so bad for him having to do after hours immediately after.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
There was something last season where Bo liked a comment that was bashing him or the team and then later rubbed it in the person's face... tell me I'm not crazy and misremembering?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Mentally weak team and their opponents know it.

“As soon as we scored that first goal, I felt like we had a mental advantage on them. They seemed to be on their heels a little bit. They were just flipping pucks out and we kept coming at them and got another goal and after that, I thought we pressured for a fourth and it didn’t come until in this shootout,” Predators defenceman Mattias Ekholm said.
Another glaring statistic in the game were the giveaways ...Preds 2..Canucks ..12

Despite the fact that we outshot them by a considerable margin.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
Watched my first game this season and have some thoughts/questions.

Can anyone tell me why Riley Stillman is a thing? Every time he was paired with Myers on the ice it seemed to be a disaster. It was marginally better when they were split up.​
Miller missed a ton of chances last night and seems really lacksadasical at times.​
Kuzmenko and Mikheyev bring a different element to the team that's fun to watch.​
Kuzmenko and Pettersson need to be an OT duo and Kuzmenko needs to be one of our penalty shooters.​
Hoglander looked solid.

Studnicka looks like he could be a decent bottom 6 guy for us. He has some good forechecking ability and so far doesn't seem to be a liability.​

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Watched my first game this season and have some thoughts/questions.

Can anyone tell me why Riley Stillman is a thing? Every time he was paired with Myers on the ice it seemed to be a disaster. It was marginally better when they were split up.
Miller missed a ton of chances last night and seems really lacksadasical at times.
Kuzmenko and Mikheyev bring a different element to the team that's fun to watch.​
Kuzmenko and Pettersson need to be an OT duo and Kuzmenko needs to be one of our penalty shooters.​
Hoglander looked solid.
Studnicka looks like he could be a decent bottom 6 guy for us. He has some good forechecking ability and so far doesn't seem to be a liability.​
-It seems that there's certain players that Myers does not gel with..Riley Stillman appears to be one of them..Myers play since he's returned from injury has been erratic (not to mention the roughing penalties he seems to take once every game).

-Its never a bad thing when your getting a bushel load of chances ...even though Miller didnt score on them.

-I liked Hog on that line...He's a fearless player, goes to the dirty areas ,plays a direct game...Although again, makes poor defensive miscues when under pressure (Boudreau looked like he was going to have an anyuerism when Hogs iced the puck in the 2nd).

Reactions: Nucker101

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Consequences of no shut down forwards.

No shut down anything on this team and no attempt to do it by committee. Worst of all, nobody acknowledges it as a problem or something they're trying to fix as a group. "We didn't capitalize on our chances tonight" is all we ever hear from this group.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
That is kind of funny...although, over time... reading disgruntled Twitter comments can only lead you to a toxic state of mind...He should stop reading those IMO.
I think some guys use it as some extra fuel, but yeah I’d imagine it eventually it just wears on you.

Still funny though.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Canucks need a leader that isn't shaken mentally. It's like all our best players freeze the second the other team start applying pressure instead of rolling over and dying.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
-It seems that there's certain players that Myers does not gel with..Riley Stillman appears to be one of them..Myers play since he's returned from injury has been erratic (not to mention the roughing penalties he seems to take once every game).

This has always been the case with Myers for pretty much his entire career. He generally ends up being an awkward partner to whoever he’s partnered with and almost never forms a pairing greater than the sum of its parts (except when OEL basically carried him for half of last season). It’s why he was always paired with bottom pairing guys in Winnipeg.

He ends being poor fit on every defensive corps he’s been on with the exception of his rookie season.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Team is at worst 3rd in the division with even average goaltending right now.

There's plenty of things that need addressing, but it looks so much worse with a save % starting with an 8. It's an offensive drive league, there will be turnovers and miscues. Watch any other team in the league, and focus on them with a critical eye, there's plenty of mistakes to go around. Goalies still get it done, win games, and don't backstop a historically bad PK, well except ours.

Reactions: Nomobo and racerjoe

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Anyone trying to say that “leadership” is the reason this team is losing really needs to think just a little bit harder. The main difference between this season and last season is Demko isn’t playing like a superstar.

That’s it.

Demko bailed out the team countless times last season. We all said that if he doesn’t play the same, this team is in trouble. Management even implied it. Coaching said it. Well, that’s exactly what’s happening.

Him being pretty bad has exposed the massive weaknesses throughout the rest of the roster. Primarily the complete lack of skill level and high end players on defense. A good defence can mask problems the same way a great goalie or system can. We have none of those three. Even if we did have a good system, there’s no way this personnel can accomplish it.

That they blown multiple multigoal leads isn’t on leadership. Get good players that fit a system together, they start winning, then everyone will talk about how great the room is.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I'm sure reading all the comments and replying to them is good for his psyche.
Worse then being the captain of this shit show of an organization for years?

Team is at worst 3rd in the division with even average goaltending right now.

There's plenty of things that need addressing, but it looks so much worse with a save % starting with an 8. It's an offensive drive league, there will be turnovers and miscues. Watch any other team in the league, and focus on them with a critical eye, there's plenty of mistakes to go around. Goalies still get it done, win games, and don't backstop a historically bad PK, well except ours.

We've got average goaltending 5on5.

We just give up empty net shots on the PK.

Reactions: mossey3535

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Consequences of no shut down forwards.
When you cant keep Dickinson and Motte, Dermott gets hurt and then immediately turn around and spend it all on Bear Stillman and Studnicka players who their past teams didnt want to patch the holes

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Didn't watch the game, was out for a bday party.

Sure Demko is not going well right now but to say that the team doesn't trust him is such bullshit to me. This guy has been bailing the team out for literal seasons now and most of these players were here to witness it. If anything they should be banding together to play better in front of him and insulate him while he works his way through this slump.

As for the Nashville quote, I think that it instead reveals that our backend woes are finally catching up with us. Guys who are outmatched in their zone and aside from Quinn are not real puck carriers or puck movers mean that we have to flip out more pucks and give up possessions. This takes away from the strength of the team which is the forward depth and their ability to possess the puck. We've seen when the team is playing well that they do it through high posession and shot generation.

So maybe other teams sensing our perceived mental weakness is actual more about sensing the weakness of the underlying team composition and how it forces us to play.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Anyone trying to say that “leadership” is the reason this team is losing really needs to think just a little bit harder. The main difference between this season and last season is Demko isn’t playing like a superstore.

demko is only -0.44 gsaa at even strength. that's not great but it's good for 33rd in the nhl. martin is only 24th at 0.75. the different is demko is dead last in the league at -6.13 gsaa short handed. martin is much better at -1.14 shorthanded but he's only faced ~12 minutes of shorthanded time compared to ~36 for demko

demko playing better at even strength would buy the canucks a win or two but it's the penalty kill that is burying them not their even strength goaltending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad