Post-Game Talk: [GM12] Canucks lose to Predators - 3-4 (Shootout) (Mikheyev, Miller, & Kuzmenko)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There's something pretty demoralizing watching a team play well enough to fashion a 2-0 or even a 3-0 lead and then fritter it away. It usually starts with a couple of penalties they can't kill.

But still, Demko has to be better. I'm worried we might be seeing Alex Auld II with him. One big season, followed by a succession of mediocre ones.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Canucks need a leader that isn't shaken mentally. It's like all our best players freeze the second the other team start applying pressure instead of rolling over and dying.
The Canucks organization needs a leader who's last name isn't Italian.

Leadership always starts at the very top and very top of ours extended Benning after 5 years of guiding our team into the shitter.

e5G7L9z.png

w8gC4Y3.png

ofRzthG.png

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Aquaman: There are no shortcuts
Also Aquman: *Proceeds to hire management teams to pull of extremely short sighted moves for the last 10 years

Reactions: VintageBure

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Not to say that everything is fine by any means, but I don't really get what some of you expect. This is a .350 or whatever team that keeps finding ways to lose. Of course they're mentally fragile and lack confidence. It'd be bizarre if it were any different.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Yeah I mean like everything in hockey it's a confluence of factors. Demko is very poor right now relative to how he normally plays. I think Clark is falling down on the job a little here. So there's that aspect.

But then if they weren't allowing deflections and easy cross-crease passes on the PK then Demko would have a better chance at making saves. I seem to remember a lot of those so far.

They could also defend better as a whole and avoid some of those penalties. There are some lazy one in there and the team isn't that disciplined. Usually a winning team has that kind of discipline.
This is true.

When Miller is out on the PK its almost like a 5 on 3. Maybe I just lack imagination but I do not understand how someone who reads the offensive game so well in the Ozone can be completely useless in the Dzone?

Add this years versions of OEL & Myers to the mix and unless Demko plays like prime Hasek, he is not going to save those insane chances they give on the PK.

Obviously this doesn't show on any of the goalie stat sheets. xGoals does not account for pre-shot movement.

Not to say that everything is fine by any means, but I don't really get what some of you expect. This is a .350 or whatever team that keeps finding ways to lose. Of course they're mentally fragile and lack confidence. It'd be bizarre if it were any different.

The 3rd period meltdowns are special. I don't recall seeing anything like it in pro hockey... Maybe Finland's WC / Olympic teams between the first and the 2nd championship. They would get a lead and then play the most scared brand of hockey ever and end up losing.

Reactions: mossey3535

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
So I was on vacation and missed everything starting from the Seattle game.

Still haven't watched the Canucks win a game LOl

Someone give me a TLDR :P

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
So I was on vacation and missed everything starting from the Seattle game.

Still haven't watched the Canucks win a game LOl

Someone give me a TLDR :P
TLDR;
- apparently NO BODY could have predicted that the goalie position is volatile from year to year
- that Miller is actually a much more effective winger than he is a C
- that OEL & Myers are not ACTUALLY an elite shutdown pair

Mostly the problem is Boeser being so lazy and slow and evil.

Reactions: credulous

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
How could a f***ing ex-NHL dman GM allow this to happen is beyond explanation.

Nah, it's really very simple:

Benning was starting to craft a blueline In His Own Image.

Benning's own style of play and career trajectory was eerily similar to both Myers and OEL, Myers especially. Benning was a highly-touted puck-mover who was drafted 6th overall, and was expected to be a career 1D, the heir apparent to Borje Salming. He never lived up to the hype, he typically had a lot of brain farts and errors and had trouble positionally in his own end. Considered pretty much a failed project by the Leafs, the Canucks saw him as a reclamation who they hoped would bounce back and live up to his potential he showed early on.

Major internal compensation mechanisms going on with Benning in his pursuit of both players: "they were both great prospects who showed potential earlier in their careers, they' need a fresh start with the Canucks, just like I did." He needed to correct his own past by trying to show himself and the world that guys like him could succeed if given sufficient support (ie, massive contracts and a ton of smoke blown up their asses falsely inflating them to 1D status.)

Reactions: quat

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Nah, it's really very simple:

Benning was starting to craft a blueline In His Own Image.

Benning's own style of play and career trajectory was eerily similar to both Myers and OEL, Myers especially. Benning was a highly-touted puck-mover who was drafted 6th overall, and was expected to be a career 1D, the heir apparent to Borje Salming. He never lived up to the hype, he typically had a lot of brain farts and errors and had trouble positionally in his own end. Considered pretty much a failed project by the Leafs, the Canucks saw him as a reclamation who they hoped would bounce back and live up to his potential he showed early on.

Major internal compensation mechanisms going on with Benning in his pursuit of both players: "they were both great prospects who showed potential earlier in their careers, they' need a fresh start with the Canucks, just like I did." He needed to correct his own past by trying to show himself and the world that guys like him could succeed if given sufficient support (ie, massive contracts and a ton of smoke blown up their asses falsely inflating them to 1D status.)
This is what happens when stupid people hire stupid people to make critical franchise-defining decisions.

Good jerb FAQ. Keep up the fantastic work.

Reactions: quat

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In retrospect, it looks like Rutherford blew his stack after the Canucks third-period meltdown against the Preds.

And you know, he isn't wrong. When you get up 3-0 on a team as disinterested and lethargic as the Preds were in that game, a win should be automatic. I mean they went down to Seattle and got blitzed 5-1.

But of course that's been the problem with the Canucks all year. It's a predictable pattern of getting up 2-0 or even 3-0 and just folding their tents. It usually starts with a penalty they can't kill. Then the other team amps up the pressure and they just collapse.

What Rutherford points out is that if the Canucks had any semblance of a 'defensive system' they'd be able to weather those inevitable pushes from the other team. But of course they can't.

But I guess the bigger question--is it the 'system' or the 'players' who are the biggest problem? If it's the latter, then Rutherford can't let himself off the hook.

Reactions: shottasasa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad