Speculation: GM Search 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
As noted previously, the nat team angle would be sweet to work. Other than that, a much as I love Drury, there are better candidates available imo.

Guerin fills the same shoes. Not familiar enough with his body of work (post-playing days) to make an informed decision atm.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Please God no Bill Guerin unless Botterill is coming as well. I do not want a Montreal setup where the team is constructed by being infatuated with "Grit" "leadership" ...etc. I want a team that is going to play fast, skilled, uptempo hockey.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I don't really have a prefered name as GM. I'm more interested in what type of GM and setup we'll be going for.

I want to go after one of the young and coming analytics GM's out there. Hockey is changing and has changed quite a bit in just a few years, and I want someone who keeps up. There's a new generation of players taking over the league and I want a front office that's on board with that and not getting left behind.

With that said, I would also want some more experienced guy overseeing it as PHO, because I don't trust Pegula to correctly evaluate the progress.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Uh, yes. What percentage of the population of NYC do you think would even recognize the GM of the Rangers? It's miniscule compared to Buffalo.

Not that I think any of this matters but why go with percentages? There are so many more people in NYC. The Rangers are most certainly higher profile. They have more media coverage, presumably more fans.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
You think people walking around in NYC would know who Jeff Gorton is if they bumped into him?

Not a chance, but I think if Jeff Gorton and Chris Drury were sitting at a table in an NYC restaurant right now, it would easily be Drury that people are gawking at. You also have to consider that even if every single resident of Buffalo knew Tim Murray's name and face and could pick him out of a lineup, you would only need the same to be true for 15% of Manhattan's population for my argument to hold up. Not counting a single hockey fan from Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island, etc...if you factor the whole surrounding area then only 3% of NYC's residents would have to know who Chris Drury is and what his job is to have it compare to 100% of Buffalo residents knowing who Tim Murray is and what his job was.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Not that I think any of this matters but why go with percentages? There are so many more people in NYC. The Rangers are most certainly higher profile. They have more media coverage, presumably more fans.

:laugh: I should just end the conversation now but the analyst in me can't...

Because you would have to take it into consideration. NYC is something like 8 times that size of Buffalo. So, you would want the population x percentage, then convert it to per square foot of the city.

The percentage would be something majorly different between the 2 cities. Like, like 20% vs. .5% (not an actual guess, just used as an example).

Megaera

Apr 12, 2006
New York City
Not a chance, but I think if Jeff Gorton and Chris Drury were sitting at a table in an NYC restaurant right now, it would easily be Drury that people are gawking at.

No one would be gawking at either of them. People far more famous than them get left alone in NYC all the time.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Please God no Bill Guerin unless Botterill is coming as well. I do not want a Montreal setup where the team is constructed by being infatuated with "Grit" "leadership" ...etc. I want a team that is going to play fast, skilled, uptempo hockey.

Because how a player plays is exactly how he would be a general manager...

Correct

Jan 30, 2015
Can I ask, because this is bugging me, but how in the world do any of you know what kind of GM Bill Guerin, Jason Botterill, or any other of these new guys are going to be?

I'm asking because I'm seeing preferences on here. It's not like we can pop in a tape of Bill Guerin making decisions in the office and critique. All we base it off of is team success that they may or may not have been a big influence on. Unless you have worked with them or observed them in that sort of environment, how in the world can any of you have an opinion on guys like Guerin or Botterill besides just listening to reports from the media?

I'm asking honestly because I'm following this thread and to me Bill Guerin and Jason Botterill are former jocks who retired not long ago. I'm guessing that 99% of you on this board have the same amount of knowledge of these guys in a front office position that I do simply from a lack of information. So what gives? I just get the sense that most people on this board don't know anything about these guys besides what they hear from reports and then base their opinions on them and actually cheerlead for one guy or another. It's weird to me.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Can I ask, because this is bugging me, but how in the world do any of you know what kind of GM Bill Guerin, Jason Botterill, or any other of these new guys are going to be?

I'm asking because I'm seeing preferences on here. It's not like we can pop in a tape of Bill Guerin making decisions in the office and critique. All we base it off of is team success that they may or may not have been a big influence on. Unless you have worked with them or observed them in that sort of environment, how in the world can any of you have an opinion on guys like Guerin or Botterill besides just listening to reports from the media?

I'm asking honestly because I'm following this thread and to me Bill Guerin and Jason Botterill are former jocks who retired not long ago. I'm guessing that 99% of you on this board have the same amount of knowledge of these guys in a front office position that I do simply from a lack of information. So what gives? I just get the sense that most people on this board don't know anything about these guys besides what they hear from reports and then base their opinions on them and actually cheerlead for one guy or another. It's weird to me.
Depending on the validity of those reports and the motives/data behind them, I'd say that's as good as anything for one to "base their opinions" on.

It's not like any of us actually have any control over who the Sabres decide on, who cares who anyone here "cheerleads" for. We all just want what we perceive is best for the team... because we like watching them, (in many cases) have a lot invested in them, and want them to succeed.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Because how a player plays is exactly how he would be a general manager...

I am done taking chances....Hire a progressive, surround him or her with support. Get rid of the old guard and their outdated notions of how games are won and lost. I have no issue with Guerin as President of Ops, but not GM.

Yes this is irrational, yes I am not giving Guerin a fair shake. I don't care.

OhreallyOrielly

good 2b a tankster
Apr 8, 2007
Buffalo
It may be true that in terms of pure numbers more people in NY recognize Drury as a celebrity compared to Buffalo. But, It's also true that celebrities in NYC don't tend to be approached and bothered as often as they are here.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Admittedly, i don't remember the last GM search very clearly, but the process feels a lot more involved and thorough this time around. It almost looks like the Sabres are considering anyone and everyone eligible.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
It may be true that in terms of pure numbers more people in NY recognize Drury as a celebrity compared to Buffalo. But, It's also true that celebrities in NYC don't tend to be approached and bothered as often as they are here.

That's fair, and I wouldn't know...I have a personal policy of never approaching or bothering people strictly because I know who they are outside of the context of the moment. The only exception to that is if I'm at some kind of event where it's expected that you'll recognize people and that's the reason they're there...charity events and such. I would never walk up to a guy at a restaurant and bother him...I've always felt that's extremely poor taste.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Admittedly, i don't remember the last GM search very clearly, but the process feels a lot more involved and thorough this time around. It almost looks like the Sabres are considering anyone and everyone eligible.

It's also a much better job today then it was then. This job is in high demand around the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad