Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
His position is Assistant GM, which is a bit of a vague position and can include a variety of different responsibilities that varies from team to team. Considering they listed his experience in Pro Scouting as a reason why he is a good hire when they announced he would be joining the team, it's not really a stretch to assume they will make use of his expertise in that department.
You can read more about it on NHL.com. Its not vague

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Sure at the AHL level. At the NHL level we have not changed anything with Pro scouting other than having a good resource available to the pro scouting dept.
This is such a weird take.

The promoted Mann, the former head of amateur scouting to split AGM duties with Mann, the Pens former head of pro scouting. Seems pretty clear to me where their responsibilities will lie.

Reactions: milkbag

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
You can read more about it on NHL.com. Its not vague
"oversee contractual-related items" is about as vague as it comes. With a description like that, that could easily mean he would be in the room when Dorion suggests they sign Matt Murray to a 4 year contract, to which he would've potentially said "not a good idea".

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This is such a weird take.

The promoted Mann, the former head of amateur scouting to split AGM duties with Mann, the Pens former head of pro scouting. Seems pretty clear to me where their responsibilities will lie.
It was reported that Bowness would look after contracts like McTavish and be gm of Belleville. His responsibilities are not in pro scouting. I know what his background is .. that is not at issue. What is his current job with the Senators

"oversee contractual-related items" is about as vague as it comes. With a description like that, that could easily mean he would be in the room when Dorion suggests they sign Matt Murray to a 4 year contract, to which he would've potentially said "not a good idea".
That's what McTavish did. Its pretty clear to me .. if he was working in pro scouting in some capacity they would say that given his background

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
It was reported that Bowness would look after contracts like McTavish and be gm of Belleville. His responsibilities are not in pro scouting. I know what his background is .. that is not at issue. What is his current job with the Senators

That's what McTavish did
Okay? Bringing in someone else to do it after a series of bad moves that he might've been involved in sounds like a change in that department to me.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
But that's not what was reported .. is my point. We can assume all kinds of things .. have at it
Lol alright then. I really don't think it's an assumption to say that the guy who was the director of professional scouting for a top NHL team, will be somewhat involved in pro scouting in some capacity, after the GM of the team listed his experience in pro scouting as an asset, but maybe it is to you.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Lol alright then. I really don't think it's an assumption to say that the guy who was the director of professional scouting for a top NHL team, will be somewhat involved in pro scouting in some capacity, after the GM of the team listed his experience in pro scouting as an asset, but maybe it is to you.
Sure ok . The Sens have made changes to their Pro Scouting dept.. you got me

Reactions: milkbag

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
artistic interpretation of Dorion's off-season so far

wCETiaV.png

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Bowness was not hired to work in pro scouting though.. He has a background and I'm sure they will make use of it where they can.. but his position is not in pro scouting with the sens.
Let's be real, that's not how things work in Ottawa. 1 title, many many hats.

At least now the cost savings are going to debrincat not Coburn.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
But that's not what was reported .. is my point. We can assume all kinds of things .. have at it
Yes, all kinds of things can be assumed.

How many NHL games you figure Bowness sees live this year? How many last year?

I know what was written about responsibilities but you're assuming his opinion won't be sought on pro matters. There's no logical reason it works that way.

Reactions: Sweatred

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I know what was written about responsibilities but you're assuming his opinion won't be sought on pro matters. There's no logical reason it works that way.
I don't think these guys are going to be working in stove pipes, they'll be interacting and getting feedback for sure. Dorion talks all the time about the advantage of having a small staff is everybody feels like they have a voice.

He'll get some input for sure, but he's not going to overhaul our pro-scouting (not that you're saying that). Primary responsibilities are one thing, but if you've got a resource on your team that can lend a hand when called upon, you're going to use it even when it falls outside primary duties.

Reactions: JD1

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Here is what I said. I was simply trying to clarify that he was not hired into pro scouting according to what was reported. I was not assuming he would not be involved as you can read for yourself. I did say I am sure they will make use of his pro scouting background where they can. So I am not sure why you felt a need to add anything.

He has a background and I'm sure they will make use of it where they can.. but his position is not in pro scouting with the sens.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I never blamed Dorion for the Zib or EK trades as i always assumed those were Melnyk forced. If i assume that Melnyk had decided never to sign EK but rather to go on a 5 years of unparalleled salary cap floor spending and rookie turnover spree, then all Dorions deals make sense to me.

The first 3 years that he was given that unusual early extension for were because we were going to turnover the roster, suck, and live in the standings basement. So saying we sucked the first 3 years as some sort of knock on him suggests to me sloppy analysis.

The next 2 years of key development, where the pandemic caused much missing development time, required different deals. We werent looking for long term missing pieces. We were looking for the best available short term character filler for the cheapest and shortest term. Polled before we signed Stepan, most Sens fans expected to be competing for the top pick in the draft. Mgmt could see this too. So it seemed appropriate to me to be making the filler deals like they did.

Now the 5 years of unparalleled salary cap floor spending and renewal is over. We can expect discrete jumps in the team now. And the requirements for building are now different.

Reactions: pzeeman

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
It's all this recent multi-verse content...must be it.

We are now in the 1 of a million universe's that GMPD is a good GM.

Just a joke everyone! He is doing well and while I am hesitant to give too much credit on the Murray deal considering how boneheaded it was to begin with he shed the contract quite nicely.

Reactions: pzeeman

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Rough idea of the cash difference between where we were 2 weeks ago and where we are now, and what it cost us to get here:

White: $15.75 (3 years) (3.65 buyout)
Murray: $15M (2 years) (3.75 retention)

The Cat: $18.5M (2 years assuming 9.5 in year two)

Cost: 7OA + 2nd + two 3rds + 7th

To me, Dorion converted two negative assets + the 7OA + some magic beans into alex debrincat, AND even saved some money in the process.

He's absolutely crushing this off-season.

Reactions: Sweatred

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Time to get Balcers back!!! :sarcasm:

I do find it odd that teams are buying out low cost contracts that were only signed last year... MDZ, Kuokanen and Balcers all had one year left and weren't particularly pricey contracts. Lindblom makes a bit more sense.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I do find it odd that teams are buying out low cost contracts that were only signed last year... MDZ, Kuokanen and Balcers all had one year left and weren't particularly pricey contracts. Lindblom makes a bit more sense.

cap not rising making teams get creative. Gonna be interesting how many of these guys need to take PTO's or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad