Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Pierre Dorion should be on the hot seat...only a matter of time before he is replaced. This offseason he will get desperate and try to make a big deal.

Reactions: bert and branch

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
lol at the people calling out others for being anxious at what Dorion could possibly do in that other thread

It's been 6 years, we have seen it plenty of times. At any moment, he can build himself a huge bomb that will blow up in our face shortly after.

I mean, it's someone who could trade a 2nd round pick for a pure cap dump like Derek Stepan after letting Anthony Duclair walk as a RFA. It's someone who could waive Rudolfs Balcers to be sure to... not lose one of Paquette/Anisimov/Galchenyuk on waivers? lol. It's someone who could trade a gem like Mika Zibanejad for a player almost 6 years older but who wasn't even a huge upgrade at that moment. etc etc etc

If you have confidence in someone making such moves, then you probably don't know about hockey as much as you'd like to think. Sure, if the team was making the playoffs or if it had shown clear progress the last 2 seasons, there wouldn't be much reasons to complain, at least much less, but it's not the case here so it's perfectly legit to criticize what has been done.

Last edited:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
We aren't even close to the playoffs so yeah, I expect big signings by Dorion now that will lead to us not making the playoffs but being slightly better than last year... and then being in a position where we have to trade away one of our good young core pieces to fall within the budget. And of course Dorion trades are where he overpays or gets less than market value so it will be spectacularly bad.

But of course that's if the status quo stays in place for 2022-2023. Lets hope it doesnt.

We need new ownership and we need Dorion gone. I really hope we see movement this summer.

It has been 5 straight years of failure and there is not a clear path to success. Dorion has set up this franchise for a top 20 all time NHL playoff drought. These are the facts no matter how many people here try to hand wave it away. We're on the precipice of being on the all-time playoff drought list and some people want to pretend the GM is not culpable.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
We aren't even close to the playoffs so yeah, I expect big signings by Dorion now that will lead to us not making the playoffs but being slightly better than last year... and then being in a position where we have to trade away one of our good young core pieces to fall within the budget. And of course Dorion trades are where he overpays or gets less than market value so it will be spectacularly bad.

But of course that's if the status quo stays in place for 2022-2023. Lets hope it doesnt.

We need new ownership and we need Dorion gone. I really hope we see movement this summer.

It has been 5 straight years of failure and there is not a clear path to success. Dorion has set up this franchise for a top 20 all time NHL playoff drought. These are the facts no matter how many people here try to hand wave it away. We're on the precipice of being on the all-time playoff drought list and some people want to pretend the GM is not culpable.
Clearly, your mind is made up so I won't try and convince you. But this team is two pieces away from being a playoff team. There actually is a clear path to success and the pieces have been assembled. Took a little longer, but they are here and they are fantastic. Two pieces. If he can get one, that will be great. If he gets both, I don't see it.

The reality is the budget constraints will be a problem without a clear direction of who will own and run this team. If the team continues to move forward with the Melnyks, the situation will be more challenging. If they sell, new ownership will have a different focus and winning will mostl likely be more paramount, and not sure it will mean a cap team.

2 pieces. And without those pieces and the team trying to fill those wholes internally, I still feel this team will be closer to the playoff picture next year

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I won't lose my mind, but I don't have a lot of confidence in his decision making with big acquisitions. Guess we'll see what he decides to do. Can always be a bit nerve wracking when a guy is down to his last life and what they may do.

Reactions: JackieDaytona

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

Somebody said we where 30 points out of the playoffs? It would be a historic turn around to make up that much ground in one year. Adding a top 6 forward and top 4 defence will help, but you would need masssive seasons from 2 of the forwards, 1 of the defence that are already on the team, solid or better goaltending and continued growth from the other young players..with no set backs. It would be an amazing season to watch. Lol

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Somebody said we where 30 points out of the playoffs? It would be a historic turn around to make up that much ground in one year. Adding a top 6 forward and top 4 defence will help, but you would need masssive seasons from 2 of the forwards, 1 of the defence that are already on the team, solid or better goaltending and continued growth from the other young players..with no set backs. It would be an amazing season to watch. Lol
Flyers did 39 pts from 06-07 to 07-08. Penguins did a 47 pts jump from 2005-06 to 2006-07

Reactions: Loach

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
We aren't even close to the playoffs so yeah, I expect big signings by Dorion now that will lead to us not making the playoffs but being slightly better than last year...

I am not saying your wrong, but the sentiment around here is that we need 1 top 4 D, and 1 top 6 forward to complete the team and launch it into the playoffs.

So how could we both be "not even close to the playoffs" and yet only 2 players away from contention at the same time?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

last season was hampered by injuries and COVID. I am hoping the curse is now over. With a couple of pieces, and no significant injuries, we may be looking great

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I am not saying your wrong, but the sentiment around here is that we need 1 top 4 D, and 1 top 6 forward to complete the team and launch it into the playoffs.

So how could we both be "not even close to the playoffs" and yet only 2 players away from contention at the same time?

There's a distinction between how far away last seasons team was, what are the needed pieces to be a playoff team, and how many pieces we still need to add.

Last seasons roster didn't really include Pinto, Sanderson, JBD, or Thomson to any great extent, some or potentially all of which could/will play regular mins next year. Those players however are not considered as part of the "2 players away from contention" that we are. So, next year's roster in an ideal world could differ from last years in that Pinto is playing top 9 mins, and Sanderson top 4 mins, while also adding a top 6 winger like Giroux or Fiala, and a top 4 Dman on the right side. The net change is two top 4 D, and two top 9 forwards.

I also think the parity in the league gets overlooked, yes there are some world beaters like Tampa who can comfortably make the playoffs even in an off year that we won't be passing, but the gap between Washington and the NYI isn't as big as the 16 pts spread would suggest imo. Injuries or a cold streak can be the difference between making or missing the playoffs.

Reactions: guyzeur

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Flyers did 39 pts from 06-07 to 07-08. Penguins did a 47 pts jump from 2005-06 to 2006-07
Flyers made some big, big signings and trades. Lets hope we find our Timonen as one example of picking up a huge piece on defense. Who is out there we could target to play on our top pairing?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Crosby had 120 points that year. Flyers had good depth. Maybe we could be the Flyers..?
Crosby had 102 pts the year before, don't think anyone on this team can put up an extra 18 pts? I could see multiple guys potnetially doing that based on health alone.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Looking forward to the off season. I want the draft to be interesting, but at the same time I liked the last trade that Pierre made using our first so I’m sure it will be another good player, if that’s the move we make.

Mostly I don’t want to trade away Pinto or Grieg, so the pick does have that appeal in terms of being a magic bean instead of a beloved prospect.

Anyhoo, get these playoffs out of the way so we can get to the real Sens business…. Lol

Reactions: JackieDaytona

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Sens showed a lot of heart and talent at points throughout the season. They bested many of the top teams, and kept up in many games, showing glimpses of potential contender quality that they could become. But they’re young, and imo the biggest issue with young teams is consistency.

They will continue to develop and hopefully show more consistent quality over a season. But dorion does need to make moves: clear space and jettison some contracts, shore up D, get a quality top 6 winger. I hope he does something right here, and will give him credit if he can pull it off. But I’m frankly not confident he will.

Reactions: coladin

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
A lot depends on ownership imho. If the Melnyk's continue to own the team, I think Pierre will only get his one big trade financed i.e., a winger.

I'm thinking there won't be an addition to the defense as there's already 8 defenders on the squad (Chabot, Zub, Sanderson, Holden, Hamonic, Brannstrom, Zaitsev, MDZ) without even including JBD & Thomson.

I think Murray will be back for the beginning of the season.

I doubt there will be the buyouts and retaining that some are expecting. Those dead weight contracts are going to be difficult hence costly (asset wise, etc.) to move.

Pierre might want to make more moves, but I don't thinking the money will be there to pay for it. Hope I'm wrong. The wild card of course is a change in ownership (and owners with deeper pockets).

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
It is hard to say what the heck will happen next year because we don't really know the ceiling of the young guys. You look at a team like Pittsburgh who, other than Letang, assembled patchwork guys to play and they won Cups. Why? Because it seemd Crosby and Malkin had the puck all game, and their defence was perhaps based more on having the puck rather than elite defenders. Why can't that be Ottawa?

Brady is still getting better and he can score 40. Hell, he scored 30 during this miserable Covid and injury riddled season. Josh? Clearly has the potential to score 40. Drake? Healthy, he may have been a 80-90 pt player THIS year. Stutzle? Yikes, I don't know what his ceiling is. I have a feeling his floor will be a point per game player. These guys will have the puck a lot more, and if they can find someone on Stutzle's line, maybe with the addition of Sanderson, that may be enough to move this team into playoff contention

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Crosby had 102 pts the year before, don't think anyone on this team can put up an extra 18 pts? I could see multiple guys potnetially doing that based on health alone.
Brady, Norris, Batherson, Stu could all be 60 - 80 pts.
Chabby could be 50 pts.
If that happens, what would you put Sanderson and Branny at? 30 - 40 pts?
Everybody else stays the same pts roughly.
Forberg does his thing.
Can't have major injuries..at all!
The adds at top 6 and top 4 would have to be perfect. Not even a bit off.
That's a small needle to thread!! Lol

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Clearly, your mind is made up so I won't try and convince you. But this team is two pieces away from being a playoff team. There actually is a clear path to success and the pieces have been assembled. Took a little longer, but they are here and they are fantastic. Two pieces. If he can get one, that will be great. If he gets both, I don't see it.

The reality is the budget constraints will be a problem without a clear direction of who will own and run this team. If the team continues to move forward with the Melnyks, the situation will be more challenging. If they sell, new ownership will have a different focus and winning will mostl likely be more paramount, and not sure it will mean a cap team.

2 pieces. And without those pieces and the team trying to fill those wholes internally, I still feel this team will be closer to the playoff picture next year
Those two pieces being McDavid and draisailt? The atlantic is stacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad