GM of the Year Finalists - Poile, Dorion, Chiarelli

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It's like if you jumped off the bridge with all your friends and they all broke their legs but you only sprained your ankle. Sure, it could be worse, but it doesn't exactly make you look good either.
Until Lucic actually becomes a liability I don't think the contract should be held against Chiarelli. Lucic got better as he adjusted to the team, and his leadership and attitude was invaluable.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Until Lucic actually becomes a liability I don't think the contract should be held against Chiarelli. Lucic got better as he adjusted to the team, and his leadership and attitude was invaluable.

I don't get why so many people hate on the Lucic deal. He's only 28 years old and had a very standard regular season for himself this year.

He was signed to be a ~20-25 goal, ~50-55 point guy who provides leadership, physicality, and size and he did exactly that. Sure he might decline later on but he's still in his prime years and there's no guarantee he will heavily decline unless you have a crystal ball and can see into the future.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Even if the Oilers do start winning cups, he still won't get credit (at least on this forum). For a GM to get any credit for a cup win on this board, literally every player on the roster has to be either drafted by him, traded for by him, or signed in free agency by him...and even then people would still argue about his drafting because if a pick was too high "even a goldfish could have drafted *insert player* at *insert draft position*", and good late picks will be met with "he just played solitaire on his phone while his scouts told him what to do." Trust me, I'm a Hawks fan so I've had to read way too many conversations about which one of Dale Tallon, Bob Pulford, or Mike Smith deserves the most credit for handing Bowman his cup wins on a silver platter.

With that line of thinking, no one GM deserves any credit because there is not 1 team in the NHL that was 100% all picked/signed/traded by 1 GM :shakehead

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Chiarelli has no business being a finalist. Middle of the pack gm that had McDavid fall into his lap.

If he woulda got rid of nuge and eberle at the deadline for a real shutdown centre and a playoff producing winger, EDM would be in the cup finals.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
That's Chiarellis job not mine
Nice cop-out.

Even if those players were available, why would a team trade for $6M Eberle and $6M Nugent-Hopkins? Big salary players with multiple years left on their contracts rarely get moved during the season.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
It's like if you jumped off the bridge with all your friends and they all broke their legs but you only sprained your ankle. Sure, it could be worse, but it doesn't exactly make you look good either.

Well you are never going to get a bargain contract on a player that is in demand in free agency.

I guess you could just not sign free agents and not improve your team.

There's always that option.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Nice cop-out.

Even if those players were available, why would a team trade for $6M Eberle and $6M Nugent-Hopkins? Big salary players with multiple years left on their contracts rarely get moved during the season.

Some posters have the 'Its so easy on Be a GM Mode on my PS4/XBOX One, so why can't GM's in real life do what I can on my game?' mentality. :laugh:

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Nice cop-out.

Well the value of them sure went down even more after their albatross of playoff performances. Moving them just got a hell of a lot harder for chiarelli. If he can move them then sure give him GM of the year.

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
That's Chiarellis job not mine

So your point is basically, "This guy sucks at his job, but I have no clue how he could do it better."

OK, well thanks for contributing, it was very enlightening.:shakehead

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
Well the value of them sure went down even more after their albatross of playoff performances. Moving them just got a hell of a lot harder for chiarelli. If he can move them then sure give him GM of the year.

If he only had a crystal ball last summer that would have told him how well those players would have performed in the playoffs a year later.

This is why arguments that rely on hindsight are completely worthless.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Apparently The Babcock Albatross's (TBA) couldn't get past the 1st round in the Playoffs. Interesting. Haha

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Honestly I was shocked that Lou Lamoriello was not a finalist. How many times has a team like Toronto went from last place overall the year before to making the playoffs the next season? I believe it was done by the Flyers who finished last place in 2006-2007, who made the playoffs in 2007-2008.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Chiarelli has no business being a finalist. Middle of the pack gm that had McDavid fall into his lap.

If he woulda got rid of nuge and eberle at the deadline for a real shutdown centre and a playoff producing winger, EDM would be in the cup finals.

Oilers came within 1 game of the conference finals with McDavid having (by his standards) an average playoffs.

That is better than any of the recent "Cinderella team" turn arounds (ie: Colorado, Calgary, Toronto).

Chia absolutely deserves to be nominated.

If you want to be angry and say Toronto's GM should also have been nominated OK, but that's a seperate discussion.

A lot of Chia's moves are still paying dividends even in Boston too -- like Patranak being a home run. Chia is more than average, people should get over their raging hate ***** and admit it. The guy builds pretty solid teams.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Ok so should we have trade Eberle and RNH for Kadri and Bozak? Sure! That was an ez fix :yo::laugh::shakehead

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Honestly I was shocked that Lou Lamoriello was not a finalist. How many times has a team like Toronto went from last place overall the year before to making the playoffs the next season? I believe it was done by the Flyers who finished last place in 2006-2007, who made the playoffs in 2007-2008.
Not to mention that Flyers team wasn't a horrible team on paper. Last place was the outlier for them. Little needed to be done to get them back in the playoffs.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Well, Edmonton and Columbus last year to be exact. Not last place but 2nd last and both to over 100 points

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Oilers came within 1 game of the conference finals with McDavid having (by his standards) an average playoffs.

That is better than any of the recent "Cinderella team" turn arounds (ie: Colorado, Calgary, Toronto).

Chia absolutely deserves to be nominated.

If you want to be angry and say Toronto's GM should also have been nominated OK, but that's a seperate discussion.

A lot of Chia's moves are still paying dividends even in Boston too -- like Patranak being a home run. Chia is more than average, people should get over their raging hate ***** and admit it. The guy builds pretty solid teams.
While I realize Toronto didn't win their series against Washington, going into it no one gave them a chance and when looking at all their games against them Toronto could have easily won. All six games were decided by 1 goal and 5/6 games went into overtime.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Well, Edmonton and Columbus last year to be exact. Not last place but 2nd last and both to over 100 points
Toronto went into this season with maybe 7 rookies playing every night. Plus if it wasn't for getting Frederik Andersen they might have finished among the bottom 10 teams. That was Lou Lamoriello's best trade.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
While I realize Toronto didn't win their series against Washington, going into it no one gave them a chance and when looking at all their games against them Toronto could have easily won. All six games were decided by 1 goal and 5/6 games went into overtime.

Yeah and by the same token the Oilers could be playing in the Conference Finals (and who knows what happens there) if not for a pretty wonky goalie interference non-call. Anaheim won that series by the skin of their teeth.

Chiarelli's nomination is well deserved.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Same Flyers argument applies to Columbus and to a certain extent Edmonton. Columbus just needed to get their poop together to be the decent team they were on paper. Edmonton was further along in their rebuild than Toronto this year and the expectation to get out of the basement and fight for a playoff spot was greater.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad