GM of the Year Finalists - Poile, Dorion, Chiarelli

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Oh yeah, and you're certainly not bias I suppose?

Chia has done a pretty lame job, he only had a good hand. Cross your fingers that McDavid and Drai stay healthy

I'm not. It's the people trying their hardest to defile Chiarelli and the Oilers from anything good to them and their fan base with baseless stupid facts that have nothing to do with Chia or the Oilers and solely based on what you think is happening even though you have NOTHING to base it on. And you are definitely one of them. If you think Chiarelli was 'given' a team, you obviously are using those baseless facts once again like everyone in this thread.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
he did all that in one year? wow!

no wonder the Preds finished as the 8th seed...

What? I said he needs to do that within the next season. Did you forget to read my post or something :laugh:

I know you misread my post but I can see what type of thing youre trying to get at. Adding McDavid and Talbot onto the team = finishing 2nd last last year. Thus in conclusion mcdavid and talbot suck.

Is that the type of response you want me to give back :laugh: Preds finished 8th in the conference because of significant injuries to Josi, Subban, Neal, etc. The Preds backbone is the top-4 and when the top-2D are both injured it's kind of hard to do well. It'd be like if Crosby and Malkin got injured for a 1/3 of the season, you'd expect the Pens to do not so well.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers nearly made the Western Conference Finals without McDavid producing at a high clip ... that team is better than many will admit.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah, if only all of those things put together added up to the impact of simply having McDavid healthy and one year closer to his prime.

Because then he might have a case, instead of just being the guy who's team rode a generational draft pick they lucked into before he even got there.

Absolutely not smh. The guy changed the entire culture of the team and that was as important as the downgrades in talent. Made the tough decisions all the value fetishists on HF would be too scared to make. Dumped Yak for nothing, downgraded Hall to Larsson so he could sign Lucic. Took on Russell when all the stats guys laughed.

Obviously McDavid makes life easier for any GM... but he was a point a game player in his rookie year pretty much. With McDavid being neutralized in the playoffs, his bottom nine took his team to game 7 of the 2nd round.

pomx

May 15, 2014
Absolutely not smh. The guy changed the entire culture of the team and that was as important as the downgrades in talent. Made the tough decisions all the value fetishists on HF would be too scared to make. Dumped Yak for nothing, downgraded Hall to Larsson so he could sign Lucic. Took on Russell when all the stats guys laughed.

Obviously McDavid makes life easier for any GM... but he was a point a game player in his rookie year pretty much. With McDavid being neutralized in the playoffs, his bottom nine took his team to game 7 of the 2nd round.

Stopped reading when you meantion Lucic.. 7x7 year deal is a GM of the year move? That has to be one of the worst contracts handed out.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Stopped reading when you meantion Lucic.. 7x7 year deal is a GM of the year move? That has to be one of the worst contracts handed out.

he might be getting paid a bit too much for a bit too long but the value that guy brought in changing the way the Oilers play is something that needed to be done. The Oilers needed to shed their soft as baby **** reputation and learn how to play the physical games and Lucic certainly helped bring that to the team. RNH and Eberle played a lot bigger with him on their line.

83to48

May 6, 2007
On The Halfboards

His cap hit is not 7 million. And that's just one move he has made, not gonna mention the good ones cause you'll most likely ignore them anyways.If you think the Lucic deal is worse then the Backes,Ladd or Erikkson deals I dunno what to say to you.

20G 50P 200 hit wingers do not grow on trees. Especially ones that are 28 at the time of free agency.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

$6 million per year.

I don't think it's really close to being one of the worst contracts handed out during free agency.

Lucic scored 50 points.

Compare that to others.

You GM signed Eriksson 6x6-24 points
Andrew Ladd $5.5x7 31 points
Troy Brouwer $4.5 x 4- 25 points
Kyle Okposo 6X6- 45 points
David Backes $6X5- 38 points
Frans Nielsen $5.25X6- 41 points

Lucic scored the most points and is the youngest player out of that group. Hardly the worst contract.

Only the Okposo contract looks like it might be better.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
His cap hit is not 7 million. And that's just one move he has made, not gonna mention the good ones cause you'll most likely ignore them anyways.If you think the Lucic deal is worse then the Backes,Ladd or Erikkson deals I dunno what to say to you.

20G 50P 200 hit wingers do not grow on trees. Especially ones that are 28 at the time of free agency.

Yeah, great point in regards to Backes, Ladd, and Eriksson. I also believe Lucic will settle in. I remember Sekera during his first year had his struggles here and then played so much better the next year as he settled in. What Lucic has brought to the team has been evident since the first game. There's accountability, he's a key reason for the team to be close and bonding in and off ice, and he's very vocal in the room according to comments from players including McDavid.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Don't forget the brilliant Reinhart acquisition...Chia is only on there because McDavid put the team on his back and did everything.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Don't forget the brilliant Reinhart acquisition...Chia is only on there because McDavid put the team on his back and did everything.

ya I mean why trade for Talbot when McDavid can do everything. Chia is such an idiot.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
ya I mean why trade for Talbot when McDavid can do everything. Chia is such an idiot.

Can't believe he traded away Scrivens and Yakupov. Should've extended Nikitin and had Fayne on the roster still. Who cares if your top-pairing is Nikitin-Fayne and Scrivens is your starting goalie when you have McDavid? Easy playoffs no matter what. Stupid Chia trying to improve the team when it wasn't even needed, lol!

St8Sh00ter

Oct 16, 2016
Yeah, if only all of those things put together added up to the impact of simply having McDavid healthy and one year closer to his prime.

Because then he might have a case, instead of just being the guy who's team rode a generational draft pick they lucked into before he even got there.

You stop to think that maybe some of the moves Chia made is one of the reasons Mcdavid stayed healthy this year. Kassian, Maroon were last year after the injury, Lucic was this year. Made a big difference for the generational talent.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Can't believe he traded away Scrivens and Yakupov. Should've extended Nikitin and had Fayne on the roster still. Who cares if your top-pairing is Nikitin-Fayne and Scrivens is your starting goalie when you have McDavid? Easy playoffs no matter what. Stupid Chia trying to improve the team when it wasn't even needed, lol!

McDavid will win every award as he does everything for the Oilers AINEC, clearly. First player in NHL History about to win every single award in the NHL.

St8Sh00ter

Oct 16, 2016
I don't think Chia will win GM of the year, but he has every right to be in the conversation!

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
It's going to be amazing when the Oilers start winning cups lol. Just look at the people that refuse to give Chia ANY credit at all. Good thing the ones who vote on this, the RIVAL GM's, see the work Chia has done. Unlike the scrubs on HF.

Yeah, that’s the thing right there. Anyone saying any of the nominees are a joke should really look in the mirror. The GMs that work with them voted. Anyone who disagrees basically is saying they have no clue what they are talking about (which of course describes more than a few people here).

83to48

May 6, 2007
On The Halfboards
Yeah, that’s the thing right there. Anyone saying any of the nominees are a joke should really look in the mirror. The GMs that work with them voted. Anyone who disagrees basically is saying they have no clue what they are talking about (which of course describes more than a few people here).

Go tell Travis Yost this. According to him Dorion and Chiarelli are chopped liver compared to Poile. :help:

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Go tell Travis Yost this. According to him Dorion and Chiarelli are chopped liver compared to Poile. :help:

I don't know who that is nor do I care. Poile may very well win, I don’t know. But what can't be argued is these 3 were voted the top by people who work with them. Any argument against that is invalid.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
The same people who are saying that McDavid is the only reason are also the same people who are saying McDavid shouldn't win the Hart.

HFboards is really something else.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
$6 million per year.

I don't think it's really close to being one of the worst contracts handed out during free agency.

Lucic scored 50 points.

Compare that to others.

You GM signed Eriksson 6x6-24 points
Andrew Ladd $5.5x7 31 points
Troy Brouwer $4.5 x 4- 25 points
Kyle Okposo 6X6- 45 points
David Backes $6X5- 38 points
Frans Nielsen $5.25X6- 41 points

Lucic scored the most points and is the youngest player out of that group. Hardly the worst contract.

Only the Okposo contract looks like it might be better.

It's like if you jumped off the bridge with all your friends and they all broke their legs but you only sprained your ankle. Sure, it could be worse, but it doesn't exactly make you look good either.

EdzosCrayon

Apr 4, 2013
It's going to be amazing when the Oilers start winning cups lol. Just look at the people that refuse to give Chia ANY credit at all. Good thing the ones who vote on this, the RIVAL GM's, see the work Chia has done. Unlike the scrubs on HF.

Even if the Oilers do start winning cups, he still won't get credit (at least on this forum). For a GM to get any credit for a cup win on this board, literally every player on the roster has to be either drafted by him, traded for by him, or signed in free agency by him...and even then people would still argue about his drafting because if a pick was too high "even a goldfish could have drafted *insert player* at *insert draft position*", and good late picks will be met with "he just played solitaire on his phone while his scouts told him what to do." Trust me, I'm a Hawks fan so I've had to read way too many conversations about which one of Dale Tallon, Bob Pulford, or Mike Smith deserves the most credit for handing Bowman his cup wins on a silver platter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad