GM of the Year Finalists - Poile, Dorion, Chiarelli

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Toronto went into this season with maybe 7 rookies playing every night. Plus if it wasn't for getting Frederik Andersen they might have finished among the bottom 10 teams. That was Lou Lamoriello's best trade.

To me that speaks more to Babcock than the GMing though, the GM shouldn't be putting the coach in a position to have to ice 7 rookies in the first place.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Same Flyers argument applies to Columbus and to a certain extent Edmonton. Columbus just needed to get their poop together to be the decent team they were on paper. Edmonton was further along in their rebuild than Toronto this year and the expectation to get out of the basement and fight for a playoff spot was greater.
During that offseason after finishing last place overall is when the Flyers signed Daniel Briere to that 8 year $52 million contract.

After Toronto finished last place overall Lou Lamoriello's moves was trading for Frederik Andersen, along with signing Matt Martin, Nikita Zaitsev and Roman Polak.

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
Not sure what Dorion did to be considered? Poile and Chiarelli are both good GM's. Can go either way.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Well, Edmonton and Columbus last year to be exact. Not last place but 2nd last and both to over 100 points

Edmonton had a healthy McDavid, that was the main difference. With him playing all 82, you have a very good chance at the playoffs.

C-Bus had a healthy Bob, and had most of last year to adjust to Torts system. Main thing there was Bob tho.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
So what is the criteria of this award? I presume its supposed to be solely on what they've done in the past 365 days? Lots of people bringing up moves from 2/3 years ago which is understandable because those moves might just be shining now.

So from my interpretation the only things to consider are: 2016 Draft, 2016 Off-season, and 2017 Trade Deadline.

Can anyone post a side-by-side comparison of what these 3 have done ONLY in the past year? Didnt see anything like this in the first several pages.

Chiarelli certainly moved more pieces but Poile certainly made the boldest move.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Edmonton had a healthy McDavid, that was the main difference. With him playing all 82, you have a very good chance at the playoffs.

Not really. McDavid wasnt put into a position to succeed in his first season. He was drafted by a bad team, he played his first season on a bad team (with and without him in the lineup). Chia changed that. He changed the team around him and put him into a position to succeed.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Subban <-> Weber and now in the finals. There's only one guy who should win this.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
And it only took him 19 years to get them to the Finals?

That's what happens when you lead an expansion team that happens to have played in a division the majority of those 19 years with 2 teams that had 25 season long playoff streaks and have ownership that is not committed to winning for a part of that time. Furthermore, they have only picked in the top 5 once outside of their initial draft(Seth Jones at 4). All of the SC winning teams, aside from Boston and Anaheim off the top of my head, have had a top 5 pick drafted as a major contributor in the post '05 lockout era.

Poile has built a team that can consistently get to the playoffs and is not just a quick flash in the pan with short success (see: Florida Panthers).

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
So what is the criteria of this award? I presume its supposed to be solely on what they've done in the past 365 days? Lots of people bringing up moves from 2/3 years ago which is understandable because those moves might just be shining now.

So from my interpretation the only things to consider are: 2016 Draft, 2016 Off-season, and 2017 Trade Deadline.

Can anyone post a side-by-side comparison of what these 3 have done ONLY in the past year? Didnt see anything like this in the first several pages.

Chiarelli certainly moved more pieces but Poile certainly made the boldest move.

You consider Subban (Top 10 D) for Weber (Top 10 D) bolder than Hall (Top 10 wing) for Larsson (Top 60 D)?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Here are their trades since the close of last season:
Nashville Predators acquire Date New Jersey Devils acquire
Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau
March 1, 2017
2017 6th round pick

New Jersey Devils acquire Date Nashville Predators acquire
2017 4th round pick
February 4, 2017
Vernon Fiddler

Nashville Predators acquire Date Anaheim Ducks acquire
Andrew O`Brien
January 19, 2017
Max Gortz

Nashville Predators acquire Date Colorado Avalanche acquire
Cody McLeod
January 13, 2017
Felix Girard

Montreal Canadiens acquire Date Nashville Predators acquire
Shea Weber
June 29, 2016
PK Subban

Buffalo Sabres acquire Date Nashville Predators acquire
Jimmy Vesey
June 20, 2016
2016 3rd round pick

Chiarelli:

Edmonton Oilers acquire Date New York Rangers acquire
Justin Fontaine
March 1, 2017
Taylor Beck

Edmonton Oilers acquire Date Montreal Canadiens acquire
David Desharnais
February 28, 2017
Brandon Davidson

Edmonton Oilers acquire Date Arizona Coyotes acquire
Henrik Samuelsson
January 1, 2017
Mitchell Moroz

St. Louis Blues acquire Date Edmonton Oilers acquire
Nail Yakupov
October 7, 2016
Zach Pochiro
2017 conditional 3rd round pick

Comment: Pick becomes a 2018 2nd rounder if Yakupov scores 15 goals in 2016-17
New Jersey Devils acquire Date Edmonton Oilers acquire
Taylor Hall
June 29, 2016
Adam Larsson

Dorion:

Calgary Flames acquire Date Ottawa Senators acquire
Curtis Lazar
Mike Kostka
March 1, 2017
Jyrki Jokipakka
2017 2nd round pick

Ottawa Senators acquire Date Carolina Hurricanes acquire
Viktor Stalberg
February 28, 2017
2017 3rd round pick

Ottawa Senators acquire Date Vancouver Canucks acquire
Alex Burrows
February 27, 2017
Jonathan Dahlen

Ottawa Senators acquire Date Minnesota Wild acquire
Marc Hagel
February 1, 2017
Future considerations

Ottawa Senators acquire Date San Jose Sharks acquire
Tommy Wingels
January 24, 2017
Zack Stortini
Buddy Robinson
2017 7th round pick

Ottawa Senators acquire Date Pittsburgh Penguins acquire
Mike Condon
November 2, 2016
2017 5th round pick

Ottawa Senators acquire Date New York Rangers acquire
Mika Zibanejad
2018 2nd round pick
July 18, 2016
Derick Brassard
2018 7th round pick

Calgary Flames acquire Date Ottawa Senators acquire
Alex Chiasson
June 27, 2016
Patrick Sieloff

Ottawa Senators acquire Date New Jersey Devils acquire
2016 1st round pick (#11-Logan Brown)
June 24, 2016
2016 1st round pick (#12-Michael McLeod)
2016 3rd round pick

Sorry for the formatting, I pasted it from HTML and I'm not techy (anymore)..., but you can figure it out.

Obviously this does not include UFAs, so I'll dig those up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad