Speculation: GM names for Leafs

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Who is going to get in to this mess that we are in - I don't thing if any big name exec would even consider

Bob Mckenzie said he had no info on Futa being the man, but did drop his name. So perhaps he has a feeling Futa would only be interested in leaving LA for one location. His home. Toronto.

I think he would be the perfect guy here. He can work with others, as he has in LA, but he would command enough presence where Hunter and Dubas will know their places on this team. Clearly he would be #2 to Shanahan who would stay out of his way. A guy with his resume would command this. He has the experience and track record of winning to come in here, and those around him will respect him immediately. Futa would be the perfect VP/GM here. A 2nd rd pick is costly, but again I am partial to him because I believe what he believes in, in building a team.

"You can have a mix but I don't think you can have a team of smaller players" ~ Futa

Last edited:

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
So of course everyone is hoping the leafs can land the big fish in Babcock. If possible I think it is evident at least in my mind that if he does come he will land both the Head Coaching Job as well as the General Managing job however, I think he will stay put and I also doubt the Leafs will land McLellan or Hitchcock ( baring he gets fired) so here is my guess.

New Head Coach: For this you can look at it multiple ways do you take in a positive coach who is great with youth who lacks NHL experience or do you bring in that hard nose guy who comes in and holds players accountable right away and applies pressure. I think the way the Leafs are working and the direction the youth and the leadership changes they are going thru I believe they bring in a young guy if the team is going to get dismantled like I believe it will. I am going to go out in left field and say either Sheldon Keefe or Travis Green will get the job when it is all said and done. Green is having great success with the Utica comets bringing them to top spot in the ahl, while Keefe has a relationship with Dubas with the greyhounds I think he gets a look. He is an advanced stat guy obviously which is the way the Leafs seem to be going with things. So I would not be shocked if he gets the job.

Choice: Keefe.

HM: Green, Byslma, Hunter, Gillmour

New Assistant Coach: Dallas Eakins: This guy was once viewed as one of the brightest upcoming head coaches in the game. He had great runs in the AHL with the marlies and I really thought he would have been the coach to replace Wilson. I think Toronto will give him that chance.

New Assistant Coach: Dougie Gillmour: I believe that the leafs will go out and do what many have wanted a former leaf in the organization at a high point. This guy was a part of some of the better leaf teams that we have had over the past 30 years and he was a fan favourite here. I think/ hope we see the killer in the organization soon.

Another HM: Sean Burke

General Manger: I think they bring in an older vet on a short term to continue the rebuild bring the team in the right direction and I think with Shanny here he will be doing the majority of it so I think they bring in a guy with experience like a Ray Shero or a George Mcphee. These two would act as a mentor for the leafs soon to be gm Kyle Dubas.

Choice: Ray Shero.

Assistant Gm: Dubas

What do you guys think

I would love to have Doug Gilmour in some capacity if not the assistant coach

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
Bob Mckenzie said he had no info on Futa being the man, but did drop his name. So perhaps he has a feeling Futa would only be interested in leaving LA for one location. His home. Toronto.

I think he would be the perfect guy here. He can work with others, as he has in LA, but he would command enough presence where Hunter and Dubas will know their places on this team. Clearly he would be #2 to Shanahan who would stay out of his way. A guy with his resume would command this. He has the experience and track record of winning to come in here, and those around him will respect him immediately. Futa would be the perfect VP/GM here. A 2nd rd pick is costly, but again I am partial to him because I believe what he believes in, in building a team.

"You can have a mix but I don't think you can have a team of smaller players" ~ Futa

Dubas and Hunter both notably have gone on record saying they worry about skill, not size, in terms of drafting.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Dubas and Hunter both notably have gone on record saying they worry about skill, not size, in terms of drafting.

Hunter has drafted some big and skilled players for London. Zadorov, Perry, Nash, as well as Patrick Kane.

I think he is capable of finding players of various diversities.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
So of course everyone is hoping the leafs can land the big fish in Babcock. If possible I think it is evident at least in my mind that if he does come he will land both the Head Coaching Job as well as the General Managing job however, I think he will stay put and I also doubt the Leafs will land McLellan or Hitchcock ( baring he gets fired) so here is my guess.

New Head Coach: For this you can look at it multiple ways do you take in a positive coach who is great with youth who lacks NHL experience or do you bring in that hard nose guy who comes in and holds players accountable right away and applies pressure. I think the way the Leafs are working and the direction the youth and the leadership changes they are going thru I believe they bring in a young guy if the team is going to get dismantled like I believe it will. I am going to go out in left field and say either Sheldon Keefe or Travis Green will get the job when it is all said and done. Green is having great success with the Utica comets bringing them to top spot in the ahl, while Keefe has a relationship with Dubas with the greyhounds I think he gets a look. He is an advanced stat guy obviously which is the way the Leafs seem to be going with things. So I would not be shocked if he gets the job.

New Assistant Coach: Dallas Eakins: This guy was once viewed as one of the brightest upcoming head coaches in the game. He had great runs in the AHL with the marlies and I really thought he would have been the coach to replace Wilson. I think Toronto will give him that chance.

New Assistant Coach: Dougie Gillmour: I believe that the leafs will go out and do what many have wanted a former leaf in the organization at a high point. This guy was a part of some of the better leaf teams that we have had over the past 30 years and he was a fan favourite here. I think/ hope we see the killer in the organization soon.

General Manger: I think they bring in an older vet on a short term to continue the rebuild bring the team in the right direction and I think with Shanny here he will be doing the majority of it so I think they bring in a guy with experience like a Ray Shero or a George Mcphee. These two would act as a mentor for the leafs soon to be gm Kyle Dubas.

What do you guys think

I don't think Leafs will take on a non-NHL experienced coach. Just too many good NHL experienced coaches becoming available & you need someone that will garner the respect of the players immediately, not someone that will have to prove to the entire league they are ready first.

I could see Keefe getting something with the Marlies but not the Leafs yet.

GM
Burke

Last edited:

CalgaryLeaf*

I'm not giving up a 2nd round draft pick for Futa at the beginning of a long rebuild.

next.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't think Leafs will take on a non-NHL experienced coach. Just too many good NHL experienced coaches becoming available & the you need someone that will garner the respect of the players immediately, not someone that have to prove to the entire league they are ready first.

GM
Burke

Back to another Burke. Well that's not such a bad thing seeing how Calgary is doing.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If I'm Babcock I hitch up my wagon, and go west young man. Nicholson and Chiarelli are waiting. And some guy wearing 97 is the piece to make him look like the genius he craves to be. A coach that turns around that team will be hailed as one.

Mcdavid
Hall
Nurse
Draisaitl
Schultz
Yakupov

There are possibilities for a sharp GM like Chiarelli to do even better with deals of RNH and Eberle.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
I still say that he has no interest whatsoever in coming here.
And you're wrong

Obviously odds are against him coming here as we aren't the only team looking for a coach. But to say he doesn't even have a little bit of interest in a team that could make him the highest paid NHL coach ever? :loony:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If I'm Babcock I hitch up my wagon, and go west young man. Nicholson and Chiarelli are waiting. And some guy wearing 97 is the piece to make him look like the genius he craves to be. A coach that turns around that team will be hailed as one.

Mcdavid
Hall
Nurse
Draisaitl
Schultz
Yakupov

There are possibilities for a sharp GM like Chiarelli to do even better with deals of RNH and Eberle.

You can say the same about Buffalo as well though. They should be right there for him as well. I think I read his son is going to Merrimack, So to be so far away in Edmonton may not be ideal, But who knows with him.

The one thing I'd be curious to know and we'll find out eventually, Is if he wants his next team to be "his team". Meaning the building a team where he has a good amount of input into the roster and players they draft.

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
The experience thing is hilarious. Dave Nonis is experienced, should hire him! As is Burke! Cliff Fletcher!

If Dubas is the best candidate based on ability to do the job, regardless of experience (since we know experience does not = ability), then you give him the job (should he want it).

If they hired Dubas as GM I'd be ecstatic. Have you seen his interviews? Everything he says is forward-thinking and impressive, in my opinion. Hire him before someone else does in a couple years.

And if you don't think he'd be considered for the job, which is based on nothing but your speculation, then, :laugh:

Even TSN (Dreger) has been saying Dubas would be considered (though obviously not just handed) the job.

Dubas isn't getting the job. Shanny is going to add a experienced GM guaranteed. If he has no experience as a GM he will as an assistant. Shanny is collecting bright minds and why would he turn down a chance to add another to the fold. Dubas is already under contract , needs experience and the leafs can out pay anyone... So he isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Futa as GM and VP
Burke as Assistant GM/Goalie coach/special assistant to the president
Babcock as Coach
Boom goes the dynamite
Winner winner chicken dinner

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
And you're wrong

Obviously odds are against him coming here as we aren't the only team looking for a coach. But to say he doesn't even have a little bit of interest in a team that could make him the highest paid NHL coach ever? :loony:

Every team - if they really wanteed him, could make him the best paid coach. what he wants is player input/control, so then you stop and think about the amount of teams that could potentially give him that which really narrows it down.

and as I quite frankly don't think that a coach should have that, nor do I think they're going to do that here, who knows.

you can sit beside me. I have cookies

Rufio65*

I don't think Leafs will take on a non-NHL experienced coach. Just too many good NHL experienced coaches becoming available & you need someone that will garner the respect of the players immediately, not someone that will have to prove to the entire league they are ready first.

GM
Burke

Keefe won't even be a consideration for any NHL coaching job. He won't get respect from the locker room at the NHL level yet, for a number of reasons. He has a good thing going in SSM, but he is a long, long way from stepping behind the bench in any capacity at the NHL level. Ottawa 67s head coach Jeff Brown will be a highly sought after candidate in a couple of years.

Doug Weight should be our HC.

JMcLeaf

Keefe won't even be a consideration for any NHL coaching job. He won't get respect from the locker room at the NHL level yet, for a number of reasons. He has a good thing going in SSM, but he is a long, long way from stepping behind the bench in any capacity at the NHL level. Ottawa 67s head coach Jeff Brown will be a highly sought after candidate in a couple of years.

Doug Weight should be our HC.

why?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

What do you guys think

Dallas Eakins is a poor excuse for a coach....attacking players in the Media etc. I knew he would flame out in Edmonton....no thanks!

Gilmour is the GM of his home town team....I do not think he would come here as an assistant coach.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Dubas isn't getting the job. Shanny is going to add a experienced GM guaranteed. If he has no experience as a GM he will as an assistant. Shanny is collecting bright minds and why would he turn down a chance to add another to the fold. Dubas is already under contract , needs experience and the leafs can out pay anyone... So he isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Futa as GM and VP
Burke as Assistant GM/Goalie coach/special assistant to the president
Babcock as Coach
Boom goes the dynamite
Winner winner chicken dinner

Replace Hitchcock as coach, and I will eat that chicken dinner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad