Speculation: GM names for Leafs

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I'm not sure if Babcock is the right coach. But I am pretty sure he shouldn't also be the GM. He has no executive experience. Why put give him more work to do that he isn't trained for? The GM job is a lot more than 'draft player A and trade Y for X.' There is paperwork, formal meetings, number crunching, asset management, and human resources work. That isn't for Babcock.

I am liking the sound of Fenton and Futa as GM candidates.

And for Coach I want Tippett from Phoen-err-arizona. He consistently gets effort and results from budget teams lacking talent. Imagine what he could do with a team willing to spend.

If he isn't actually available (and he may not be) then I want McLellan or Bylsma.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm not sure if Babcock is the right coach. But I am pretty sure he shouldn't also be the GM. He has no executive experience. Why put give him more work to do that he isn't trained for? The GM job is a lot more than 'draft player A and trade Y for X.' There is paperwork, formal meetings, number crunching, asset management, and human resources work. That isn't for Babcock.

I am liking the sound of Fenton and Futa as GM candidates.

And for Coach I want Tippett from Phoen-err-arizona. He consistently gets effort and results from budget teams lacking talent. Imagine what he could do with a team willing to spend.

If he isn't actually available (and he may not be) then I want McLellan or Bylsma.

It looks like they are taking a GM by committee approach which will cover off those day to day tasks.

Babcock as a Co-GM would be more focused on the Roster side of things.

Agreed, Tippet would be a great choice as Coach.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
if Hitch is out in St Louis, he's my guy.

...Burns was what turned the Leafs around last time and revitalized the team and taught them (or forced them) to play a proper game, and Hitch can be that guy now.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
How likely is it for any of Babcock, Mclellan or Hitchcock to take a rebuilding team job. No doubt they would rather be with teams ready to compete now. Hitchcock has a short shelf life anyway.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
How likely is it for any of Babcock, Mclellan or Hitchcock to take a rebuilding team job. No doubt they would rather be with teams ready to compete now. Hitchcock has a short shelf life anyway.

The only way I see an experience guy like those mentioned above coming over is if they are sold on the fact that a) they will be given a team of young talent that they can mold from scratch, b) their job is secure for at least the next 5 years while they "mold", and c) they will be paid around $5million / year to do it.

You'd have to think it's possible that one of these guys would like the idea of being given a young team akin to clay on wheel, with no bad habits, ingrained issues - just a fresh start and longer job security to mold a team as they see fit.

Realistically though - I think Blashill is the best option, with a second choice of an up-and-comer such as Howerchuck, Hunter, or another guy we're not aware of yet!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I think it would be very appealing to a Veteran Coach if he is also involved in the building process.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
It's simple - Babcock or bust. If he turns it down then go to plan B.

Thats fine, but the problem is, Babcock is under contract till June 30. He also has some personal issues to take care of before he can get back to work.

So if we bank on Babcock and fail, many of the other coaches available now, won't be around then.

Also I agree with the comment above where if a veteran coach was guaranteed a long contract and position as well as being heavily involved in the building process, it might be enough to sway one of the big names our way.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
1st option: Babcock as co-coach/GM

2nd option: Sean Burke as GM

3rd option: Rob Blake

Coaching:

Babcock
Bylsma
Keenan (if coming back)

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
I love some of the names being tossed around as a coach but there is a big part of me that doesn't want a big time coach hired at this time as the Leafs need to continue to draft high for 3-4 years. An overachieving coach wouldn't help that situation. I want a coach that will develop properly but not to the point where we are a middle of the road team.

I think hiring a great GM at this point is far more important.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I have a feeling its Ray Shero
http://www.letsgoleafs.com/2015/04/29/rumour-ray-shero-offered-a-job-by-the-leafs/
Well that and this article.

JIM MURPHY
"Regarding my earlier tweets on Ray Shero, I am now told he likely won't become Bruins GM. He has been offered a job w/another organization."
Leafs only other team actively looking for a GM

Being offered a job with another team doesn't mean it's the GM position. Plenty of teams always are looking for Hockey Ops execs and various advisor roles.

ProjectBluePuck

Jan 6, 2011
Being offered a job with another team doesn't mean it's the GM position. Plenty of teams always are looking for Hockey Ops execs and various advisor roles.

True. I just thought it was at least interesting as no one had mentioned Ray Shero as a possibility.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I have a feeling its Ray Shero
http://www.letsgoleafs.com/2015/04/29/rumour-ray-shero-offered-a-job-by-the-leafs/
Well that and this article.

JIM MURPHY
"Regarding my earlier tweets on Ray Shero, I am now told he likely won't become Bruins GM. He has been offered a job w/another organization."
Leafs only other team actively looking for a GM

**** Shero , the guy was gifted two top 5 players and could only win 1 cup and never got back to the finals

i'm sure he's been offered many jobs , that doesn't mean as a GM

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
True. I just thought it was at least interesting as no one had mentioned Ray Shero as a possibility.

He's been mentioned. He just doesn't sound like a realistic addition to what the Leafs are trying to achieve, which is why he doesn't get mentioned a whole lot.

But perhaps he's exactly what the Leafs need and he thinks he can make it happen. He's got a lot of experience and perhaps feels like he can be the kind of veteran to rebuild the team through the draft, even if his past GM job was nowhere near that kind of role and philosophy.

ProjectBluePuck

Jan 6, 2011
**** Shero , the guy was gifted two top 5 players and could only win 1 cup and never got back to the finals

i'm sure he's been offered many jobs , that doesn't mean as a GM

Ya but I feel that who ever the next GM is unless its Babcock, will just be a yes man to Shanahan anyway. Sure he'll have his input, but in the end Shany is the one that will ultimately decide.

ProjectBluePuck

Jan 6, 2011
It's going to be interesting, because with all the possible dealings at the draft its kind of hard to expect a new GM who just walked in the door to make the necessary deals. Prior connections and discussions leading to the draft is usually what gets a lot of deals done.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Ya but I feel that who ever the next GM is unless its Babcock, will just be a yes man to Shanahan anyway. Sure he'll have his input, but in the end Shany is the one that will ultimately decide.

Shero's draft record was poor , he left team with multiple overpaid players so what do you think he could add to our mgmt ?

also he would never have had a job in the league if it wasn't for his dad

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Blashill just signed a 3 year extension with Grand Rapids. He has no desire right now to leave his home in Michigan and 3 young children
I remember Dallas Eakins had signed an extension with the Marlies after they played in the Calder Cup Finals in 2012. He then left them after the next season to coach the Oilers, so I don't think Blashill signing an extension would have any effect on him becoming an NHL coach.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
1. Mike Futa - Kings

2. Laurence Gilman - Canucks

3. Colin Campbell - NHL

I think it will be one of these 3 brilliant hockey execs.

Coach:

1. David Payne
2. Ted Nolan

If he some how got hired, I'd burn this mother to the ground.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad