GM Jim Benning Discussion Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Beartchi and virtanen are replacing matthias and richardson.

This isnt hard. We arnt going to use cap space to replace guys that dont fit our style in the first place.

Virtanen and baertchi play the same game. And linden vey isnt going anywhere.

Expect a kassian trade and a forward grp like this

Sedin sedin burr
baertchi bonino vrbata
kenins horvat hansen
higgins vey dorsett
virtanen

Baerstchi can replace Matthias, but how the hell does Virtanen replace Richardson? Richardson is a C/RW, if anything it will be Vey replacing him. Virtanen is kind of a wing & a prayer to putting him into next seasons lineup in April after a relatively poor WHL season. There was skepticism with Horvat and he had to earn his spot through training camp, so why is there so much talk with Virtanen about fast tracking him before we've even had training camp? The standard conservative approach would be to expect to send him back to junior next season, then have him spend a season or two in Utica before he's ready for the Canucks. If Virtanen is to get there quicker he needs to earn it in camp.

Also that's just your own speculative lineup, but to me that looks like a disaster waiting to happen. If a center goes down who slots in? You're 13th forward Virtanen certainly can't play center and all our better prospects down in Utica are wingers. Gaunce was drafted as a center but I don't know, I believe he's being utilized as a LW in Utica.

This was a serious flaw for the team much of the time under Gillis, which we've been able to avoid the last two seasons thanks to the acquisition of some versatile players: Richardson and Matthias. Vey is a versataile forward and can fill that role, but not if you're penciling him as the 4th line center and the 13th forward a 19 year old winger. Vey should be the 13th forward there, with a Richardson or comparable player at 4th line center.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Baerstchi can replace Matthias, but how the hell does Virtanen replace Richardson? Richardson is a C/RW, if anything it will be Vey replacing him. Virtanen is kind of a wing & a prayer to putting him into next seasons lineup in April after a relatively poor WHL season. There was skepticism with Horvat and he had to earn his spot through training camp, so why is there so much talk with Virtanen about fast tracking him before we've even had training camp? The standard conservative approach would be to expect to send him back to junior next season, then have him spend a season or two in Utica before he's ready for the Canucks. If Virtanen is to get there quicker he needs to earn it in camp.

Also that's just your own speculative lineup, but to me that looks like a disaster waiting to happen. If a center goes down who slots in? You're 13th forward Virtanen certainly can't play center and all our better prospects down in Utica are wingers. Gaunce was drafted as a center but I don't know, I believe he's being utilized as a LW in Utica.

This was a serious flaw for the team much of the time under Gillis, which we've been able to avoid the last two seasons thanks to the acquisition of some versatile players: Richardson and Matthias. Vey is a versataile forward and can fill that role, but not if you're penciling him as the 4th line center and the 13th forward a 19 year old winger. Vey should be the 13th forward there, with a Richardson or comparable player at 4th line center.
Conacher, Gaunce or Cassels can fill in. Could always find a cheap UFA a once the deck chairs are filled in July.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Conacher, Gaunce or Cassels can fill in. Could always find a cheap UFA a once the deck chairs are filled in July.

Well like I said Gaunce has been utilized at LW in Utica. Forgot Cassels, but this is going to be his first pro season so it's not likely he'd be ready for NHL duty for any extended period of time. Conacher could fill for Vey, but any other centers out leaving both Vey and Conacher down the middle probably isn't going to be pretty.

The most feasible solution there would be to find another 'cheap' center, but my point is the best solution would have been to extend the courtesy shown to Dorsett and Sbisa to Richardson first. Although of course for all we know he's sitting out with a debilitating injury that will effect his ability going forward, either way we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

You think it's no big deal to fill Matthias and Richardson's holes, but for some reason you think it would have been difficult to fill Sbisa and Dorsett's.

The approach you are taking here is exactly the approach I would have liked Benning to take with Sbisa/Dorsett. Wait until the off-season, see what's available. Maybe if you really have to, qualify him at 2.9. If he rejects, no big deal, there are other bottom-pairing defensemen around. Same with Dorsett. I like Dorsett and would have been happy offering him a 2 year deal but if he insists on some crazy contract then no big deal, we can find another 4th line grinding winger. As you say, always find a cheap UFA once the deck chairs are filled.

Frankly, I think Matthias's 17 goals for 1.8M is harder to fill and I like what Richardson brings more than Sbisa.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Kesler Trade
The value was debatable at first, but I would say that to this point, it was a good hockey trade. Bonino has undiputedly helped us get where we are, and McCann looks like a solid prospect. We also got Sbisa...

Garrison Trade
The reason behind it was understandable, and the value seemed comparable to some other trades, but it was still disappointing that a top-4 dman only got us a 2nd round pick. We did clear a lot of cap space, though, and it helped create the team we have now that is in the play-offs and exceeded expectations.

Vey Trade
It looks bad when you look at it as Garrison for Vey, but it looks less bad when you look at it as a 2nd for Vey... for some reason... at any rate, the reasoning behind trading a second for Vey makes sense, and there were some who were optimistic. One season later, and it looks to most that having that 2nd would probably be preferable...

Smaller Trades
Pedan appears to have been a great acquisition as his progress in Utica has been outstanding.
Clendining is more or less a further-along Forsling from a team whose depth was clogging. However, his showing at the NHL level left something to be desired.
Baertschi's acquisition is similar to trading for Vey, Pedan, and Clendinging. The same philosophy was applied - trying to accelerate the youth movement by bridging the age gap. So far it looks good.

Dorsett
This is a case where the team and the organization seem very pleased with themselves, and the fan base is less optimistic about it. His intangibles are widely touted. Perhaps they are intangible to us, and it is the reason why us fans don't like the situation. Trading a 3rd for him looks bad to us, but to management it looked and still looks like good value, and this contract implies much the same. This contract is a reward for something that, to us, is apparently intangible. We're all stuck hoping he's right, whether we react positively or negatively.

Sbisa
Well, here's a situation where a player has been evaluated solely on upside, and it would seem again that both management and the coaching staff feel differently about him than almost every single person who follows the team. To us, it seems so blatantly obvious that Sbisa was replaceable, and replacement level - on par with Stanton and Weber, and soon to be passed over by Corrado and Clendinging, and now Pedan as well. But then he gets this contract, which seems to indicate that management likes him, supporting the favored ice time he's been getting.

Vrbata Signing
Well, Benning hit a home run here - I wish the term was higher though.

Miller Signing
A necessary evil at the time, but the term was simply wrong, and other options seemed unexplored - but what do we know? Well, at the time and in hindsight, we knew Miller wasn't worth 6m, shouldn't have gotten 3 yrs, and was likely to be replaced by Eddie Lack.

The Current Situation Is...

We fans sit here worried, because Benning has been happy with his acquisitions when us fans aren't, necessarily. We've seen Dorsett and Sbisa favored undeservedly (in our eyes). We now worry that Miller will be favored over Lack, and Vey will be favored over guys like Richardson and Matthias.

Our brand new cap restrictions now result in the likely loss of superior, cheaper depth players like Richardson and Weber. To mitigate this, we'll have to bring prospects along, and we fans are stuck worrying that Benning will again favor his acquisitions: will Virtanen get Kenins' spot, or Clendining or even Pedan Corrado's?

We also look back on the year and see things like (even if they weren't the actual transactions, these are the role replacements):
Garrison Out - Sbisa and Vey In.
Kesler and Santorelli Out - Vrbata, Bonino, and Dorsett In

The fact is, Benning came here with a lot of room to make his stamp, and that stamp includes giving out 3 lofty contracts and squandering all the room he had.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
You haven't been wrong about anything regarding Benning? It's hard to remember all the conversations but it feels like there has been a group against every move and they haven't all been bad.

"should have traded Edler!"

"Bonino is replacement level -a worse Santorelli!"

"Terrible value in the Kesler deal!"

"This defence cannot withstand any injuries! They'll be screwed!"

"This team will be lucky to be a bubble team and will never get past the first round"

Some examples. So if you've been "right" about everything, cool, but not everybody has been and very few have owned up to anything. They'll just keep *****ing about every move and saying "I told you so!" every time one doesn't work out.

I did say Bonino was worse than Santorelli given the latter has a far longer track record of playing well in tough minutes. I'm not sold that Bonino is the same quality of player, so yes. Doesn't mean Bones is replacement level and I never meant that.

Never said anything about Edler and I thought he'd rebound after having a horrible year in terms of luck.

As to the Kesler trade, getting a horrible possession drag and a cap dump in return is going to affect the trade. More so when we let Santo walk just to replace him with a player who's at best equal. Is not that a terrible misuse of Kesler's asset value?

Sbisa playing in the top 4 when injuries hit is not a good thing. I know who I'd rather have in that spot that we traded away.

And I don't think I said anything about them being lucky to be a bubble team. In fact I think most here said they'd bounce back to be a bubble team with a healthy year from the Sedins.

It's not like I've been saying all his moves have been poor... just most of them so far.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Another log on the fire: there's a lot of speculation that the NHLPA won't vote for the 5% inflator, which would result in the cap actually decreasing this offseason.

If that's the case, cap space is going to be pure gold. A lot of teams are going to be shedding some good players.

All Benning had to do is wait for the issue to play out before he inked Dorsett and Sbisa. If the cap does go down, he could have gotten both players for much cheaper or, better yet, gone out and gotten upgrades. Instead, he'll have $3m to fill 6 roster spots.

I just can't imagine Gillis ever making this mistake. Just screams extreme mismanagement.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Just stop

People don't like the moves because they think that the moves themselves are bad, not because they want to hate everything Benning has done.

Exactly. If I wanted to run down every move I'd hate the Vrbata signing.

Maybe - just maybe - there's a universe in which people think a lot of JB's moves are poor because they're, well, actually poor.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
"bonino is replacement level" sounds like something i would have said at some point, as i was extremely down on him at the start and he compared pretty reasonably to matthias who was playing pretty ****ing badly last year, but somewhere between acquisition of the player and the start of the season i changed my expectations specifically because of discussion here

that said, i wasn't able to find any instance of me (or anyone) saying this

edit: tried harder and found me saying it a couple days after the trade. i knew he was talking about me. whatever, im happy to be wrong about that. his grotesque cold streak aside, bonino has actually impressed me this year with his ability to be a decent forward in hard circumstances so whatever

"should have traded Edler!"

"Bonino is replacement level -a worse Santorelli!"

"Terrible value in the Kesler deal!"

"This defence cannot withstand any injuries! They'll be screwed!"

"This team will be lucky to be a bubble team and will never get past the first round"

Some examples. So if you've been "right" about everything, cool, but not everybody has been and very few have owned up to anything. They'll just keep *****ing about every move and saying "I told you so!" every time one doesn't work out.

as far as i know, nobody has ever held all of these beliefs, which is the only time this complaint really makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Another log on the fire: there's a lot of speculation that the NHLPA won't vote for the 5% inflator, which would result in the cap actually decreasing this offseason.

If that's the case, cap space is going to be pure gold. A lot of teams are going to be shedding some good players.

All Benning had to do is wait for the issue to play out before he inked Dorsett and Sbisa. If the cap does go down, he could have gotten both players for much cheaper or, better yet, gone out and gotten upgrades. Instead, he'll have $3m to fill 6 roster spots.

I just can't imagine Gillis ever making this mistake. Just screams extreme mismanagement.

Ouch.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC

Yikes.

Yeah, the value/term of the contracts aside, the timing of the contracts makes little sense. What on earth was the urgency to get these done before the season ended? Before knowing what the cap would be next year? Especially with Sbisa, with whom you had RFA rights. It just boggles the mind that this was a priority in April.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

Oh my goodness......

That's real bad.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

It's so sad that we could have been poaching good players off of cap strapped teams for super cheap but instead we are going to be getting rid of quality players because of all the money Benning has thrown out.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver

Rofl. Oh boy....

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
I still stand by most of my opinions on Bennings moves, but am willing to revise a few.

I thought the Kesler trade was decent value overall, but though the pieces had value in a vacuum they weren't the right pieces. Basically the complaint many had that targeting Bonino when Santorelli wanted to sign here was a lateral move and poor asset management. Given their performances this year, that looks to be about right.

I wasn't a fan of the Garrison trade, and still am not. Even with the extra cap hit, I would rather have had more reliable defensive depth during the injury stretches. With the new Sbisa contract, this makes even less sense to me now as it is only a 1 million cap savings going forward.

Signing Vrbata I thought was fantastic and still do. IMO this was one of the best off season signings by any GM.

I think I was on the fence about the Vey trade, really don't remember. It could have gone either way and seems to be a bit of a miss so far.

I didn't like the Dorsett trade, but have revised my opinion on that. Just wish WD would limit his ice time a bit more. I do think the new contract has too much term and is a little high though.

In general I like the minor league moves. But, I am a bit concerned with the number of waiver eligible borderline NHL players currently (Vey, Clendening, Sven - not counting McMillan as I don't expect him to be back and he was a zero cost acquisition).

I didn't like the Miller signing, mainly for term. I would be fine if it was a year shorter.

As far as the team in general, I had them pegged as a bubble team, which they have proven to be.

As far as this off season goes, I had hoped the team would in a different position cap wise. It has been well publicized that the cap won't likely move very much and a few teams will be tight against it. It would have been nice going into the off season with a bit of open cap space this year, instead of being one of those teams tight to the cap. The cap situation does make the timing of the Dorsett and Sbisa signings look a bit odd, but then GMs are given more information about the potential cap situation than fans.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I simply don't understand how such incompetence is tolerated within a 750 million dollar franchise.

There are only 30 NHL teams. Are you telling me that there aren't more qualified hockey executives out there who are actually in tune with today's NHL and understand how to manage a cap, how to negotiate contracts, how to accurately assess talent and don't let their ego cloud their judgement?

For the ~2-6 million dollar salary that GM's make, why can't we find someone who knows how to do their job successfully?

I'm sick of this "old boys club." I don't care if Benning has been working in the NHL since he was 9, if he doesn't have the hockey and business sense to do his job then he should be sitting at home on his couch.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Here's something to consider, whether you're a fan of JB or not by this point I'd say Lack has become the unanimous choice to be our starting goalie.

Given the contracts he's signed, assuming the intent is to keep him how do the extension talks for Lack go? Thanks to the injury Lack is proving to be the better goalie than Miller, whom JB signed to a 3 year $18 million contract. He was a UFA? So what, so is Lack after next year. Now with Sbisa and Dorsett, Benning quickly gave their agents sweetheart deals with little attempt at negotiation. Will Lack be extended the same benefit? Can we even afford to anymore? If not how is Eddie going to take that?

Unless Benning can redeem himself and work a miracle all signs point to Lack being gone after next season, if not earlier.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
yeah lack's agent isnt gonna take "we need you to prove yourself" for an answer when he has a better track record than a 6th dman who got 3.5m a year

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Here's something to consider, whether you're a fan of JB or not by this point I'd say Lack has become the unanimous choice to be our starting goalie.

Given the contracts he's signed, assuming the intent is to keep him how do the extension talks for Lack go? Thanks to the injury Lack is proving to be the better goalie than Miller, whom JB signed to a 3 year $18 million contract. He was a UFA? So what, so is Lack after next year. Now with Sbisa and Dorsett, Benning quickly gave their agents sweetheart deals with little attempt at negotiation. Will Lack be extended the same benefit? Can we even afford to anymore? If not how is Eddie going to take that?

Unless Benning can redeem himself and work a miracle all signs point to Lack being gone after next season, if not earlier.

I fully anticipate dealing Lack at the draft. Everything is pointing in that direction. For him to move Miller would be admitting to a mistake (to some degree,) and given how he handled Sbisa that doesn't seem likely to happen.

Also wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of negative publicity to "leak" after the season to help sour the public on Lack leading up to the trade.

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
I fully anticipate dealing Lack at the draft. Everything is pointing in that direction. For him to move Miller would be admitting to a mistake (to some degree,) and given how he handled Sbisa that doesn't seem likely to happen.

Also wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of negative publicity to "leak" after the season to help sour the public on Lack leading up to the trade.

Moving Miller would also be difficult given how small a list of teams Miller needs to submit. If he and his wife are still set on staying on the west coast due to her career, that list could be Montreal, New York Rangers, Nashville, LA, Anaheim and San Jose.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Kesler Trade
The value was debatable at first, but I would say that to this point, it was a good hockey trade. Bonino has undiputedly helped us get where we are, and McCann looks like a solid prospect. We also got Sbisa...

Garrison Trade
The reason behind it was understandable, and the value seemed comparable to some other trades, but it was still disappointing that a top-4 dman only got us a 2nd round pick. We did clear a lot of cap space, though, and it helped create the team we have now that is in the play-offs and exceeded expectations.

Vey Trade
It looks bad when you look at it as Garrison for Vey, but it looks less bad when you look at it as a 2nd for Vey... for some reason... at any rate, the reasoning behind trading a second for Vey makes sense, and there were some who were optimistic. One season later, and it looks to most that having that 2nd would probably be preferable...

Smaller Trades
Pedan appears to have been a great acquisition as his progress in Utica has been outstanding.
Clendining is more or less a further-along Forsling from a team whose depth was clogging. However, his showing at the NHL level left something to be desired.
Baertschi's acquisition is similar to trading for Vey, Pedan, and Clendinging. The same philosophy was applied - trying to accelerate the youth movement by bridging the age gap. So far it looks good.

Dorsett
This is a case where the team and the organization seem very pleased with themselves, and the fan base is less optimistic about it. His intangibles are widely touted. Perhaps they are intangible to us, and it is the reason why us fans don't like the situation. Trading a 3rd for him looks bad to us, but to management it looked and still looks like good value, and this contract implies much the same. This contract is a reward for something that, to us, is apparently intangible. We're all stuck hoping he's right, whether we react positively or negatively.

Sbisa
Well, here's a situation where a player has been evaluated solely on upside, and it would seem again that both management and the coaching staff feel differently about him than almost every single person who follows the team. To us, it seems so blatantly obvious that Sbisa was replaceable, and replacement level - on par with Stanton and Weber, and soon to be passed over by Corrado and Clendinging, and now Pedan as well. But then he gets this contract, which seems to indicate that management likes him, supporting the favored ice time he's been getting.

Vrbata Signing
Well, Benning hit a home run here - I wish the term was higher though.

Miller Signing
A necessary evil at the time, but the term was simply wrong, and other options seemed unexplored - but what do we know? Well, at the time and in hindsight, we knew Miller wasn't worth 6m, shouldn't have gotten 3 yrs, and was likely to be replaced by Eddie Lack.

The Current Situation Is...

We fans sit here worried, because Benning has been happy with his acquisitions when us fans aren't, necessarily. We've seen Dorsett and Sbisa favored undeservedly (in our eyes). We now worry that Miller will be favored over Lack, and Vey will be favored over guys like Richardson and Matthias.

Our brand new cap restrictions now result in the likely loss of superior, cheaper depth players like Richardson and Weber. To mitigate this, we'll have to bring prospects along, and we fans are stuck worrying that Benning will again favor his acquisitions: will Virtanen get Kenins' spot, or Clendining or even Pedan Corrado's?

We also look back on the year and see things like (even if they weren't the actual transactions, these are the role replacements):
Garrison Out - Sbisa and Vey In.
Kesler and Santorelli Out - Vrbata, Bonino, and Dorsett In

The fact is, Benning came here with a lot of room to make his stamp, and that stamp includes giving out 3 lofty contracts and squandering all the room he had.

This post is going to disagree with Benning enough to appear I dislike him as GM more than is the case. Sometimes setting good goals and sticking to those goals is more important than most of the individual moves. I like JB's goals and the way he's stuck to the direction he's taken but disagree with many of the individual moves.

Kesler trade-always thought it was ok-it never seemed doubtful to me.

Garrison trade-hated it at the time, hate it now. Little return, the pp struggled and he had a bounce back year as should have been expected. Garrison >>> Sbisa.

Vey trade-as you say, looks bad as Garrison for Vey. It looks even worse as Garrison and Santorelli for Vey. I thought this a mistake at the time and it's hard to think Vey's potential is going to be enough that he couldn't have been replaced by Santorelli this season and next and others now in the system in the future. I hope Vey strengthens up over the summer and comes back an improved player, but don't think the moves that led to him coming to the Canucks made sense.

otoh, to be fair, once Garrison was gone, this was JB exercising his judgment on developing players. Perhaps it should be lumped into the next group, in which case it no longer looks bad.

Dorsett, Pedan, Clendening, Baertschi trades all look solid to me. They might not all work out, but neither will players selected with 2-2nd round and 2-3rd round picks.

Tanev being signed to a 1 year $2 million contract in 2014 seemed bad to me at the time and looks even worse now that he's signed for an AAV of $4.45 million over the next 5 years. How much could the team have saved signing him for a reasonable amount last summer? It would have cost more this season, but less for the next four after this one.

What makes the whole Tanev situation difficult for me to consider is that JB has been inconsistent in his comments. In the summer of 2014 he said he needed to see a larger body of work from Tanev (which struck me as nonsensical at the time.) When the extension was signed in 2015 he said Tanev had agreed to take less last year on the assurance the team would take care of him this year. Obviously that's inconsistent with the earlier comments, but is consistent with last year's contract being too low and for short term and this year's extension being too high.

Vrbata signing-as you said, a home run

Miller signing-you called this a necessary evil. I always thought it was a bad signing. It never made sense to me. I thought Lack was mishandled last season (and that he was again this season, but that's for another time and thread) and that Lack would come back to be the guy we saw early in the 2013-14 season. I also believed Melanson when he said Markstrom would be ready.

Tanev extension for 5 years starting next season-ok, I suppose. I expected the amount to be a little lower (I'd expected AAV of about $4.2 million) but my main issue here is Tanev's last extension, not this one. If it was intended as makeup for doing the team a favour taking less last year, then it's not bad.

Dorsett extension: It's hard for me to know what Dorsett is worth to the Canucks, who don't have many guys who will fight to act as a deterrent on a regular basis. (Most of their players will do it on rare occasions, but only Dorsett and Bieksa regularly, with Kassian also acting as a deterrent at times.)

I did expect a lower number than $2.65 AAV, which seems much too high for a 4th line winger. In addition, Dorsett is at an age where forwards generally start to fall off, though he's having his best scoring season. He's also somebody whose style of play brings more wear on the body (and head) than the play of those who are less physical and fight less, so one has to wonder about giving him a four year term. I knew he wanted it but hoped Benning wouldn't give it. Now we have to hope his play doesn't fall off for 4 seasons, which imo is a lot to hope for.

Sbisa extension-there is disagreement on this. I'm among those that thought Sbisa worth much, much less than he was making before, in fact approximately equal in effectiveness to the bottom d-men on the roster this season. I actually hoped against hope that he'd be allowed to walk this summer, thinking Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis and Bieksa clearly better, Weber also better and important to the power play, and Stanton, Clendening and Corrado of the same range of play as Sbisa at much less cost (and in the case of Clendening and Corrado, younger with more time to develop.) It will follow that I consider the amount of money being paid Sbisa on this extension a major mistake.

I will, of course, spend the next 3 seasons rooting for Sbisa and hoping he proves JB right and the critics, myself included, wrong.

All of that means I'm disagreeing with a lot of JB's moves.

otoh, he does have a clear direction and has made moves consistent with that direction. He's tried-and succeeded, at least so far-in keeping the team competitive. He's made moves to provide players to fill in dry Canuck draft years and he's refused to trade young players and prospects for veterans. I like the direction and the fact that he's stuck to it will bring at least some success. I'm sure everyone would agree the Canucks organization has had a successful year on hthe ice, regardless of how the rest of the season goes for the Canucks, Comets, K-Wings and the jr prospects who are still playing.

Last edited:

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Moving Miller would also be difficult given how small a list of teams Miller needs to submit. If he and his wife are still set on staying on the west coast due to her career, that list could be Montreal, New York Rangers, Nashville, LA, Anaheim and San Jose.

That's less of a concern to me. Just tell Miller that if he stays he's going to be the backup and he'll likely waive to be a starter somewhere.

Who on earth would trade for him is a different matter.

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
That's less of a concern to me. Just tell Miller that if he stays he's going to be the backup and he'll likely waive to be a starter somewhere.

Who on earth would trade for him is a different matter.

I think that is an unrealistic expectation. His salary is set and cannot be changed. If moving somewhere else means either he spends most of the year away from his wife or puts brakes on her career, I would be surprised to see him open up options.

Lou going back to Florida and Pronger leaving Edmonton are recent examples of how family situations can trump other considerations for NHL players.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I think that is an unrealistic expectation. His salary is set and cannot be changed. If moving somewhere else means either he spends most of the year away from his wife or puts brakes on her career, I would be surprised to see him open up options.

Lou going back to Florida and Pronger leaving Edmonton are recent examples of how family situations can trump other considerations for NHL players.

How so? Lou got out of a cluster**** here to be the undisputed starter for the Panthers. Pronger was going to be a top-pairing Dman wherever he went.

Miller is not going to want to stay here if he isn't guaranteed to be the starter, I don't think. Just like Luongo didn't.

Of course, he might already be guaranteed the starter position irrespective of how Lack plays. Who knows what management has told him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad