Line Combos: GM/Coaching criticism

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
So you're saying we don't have a #2 centre ready to play?

Malkin went down for the Pens for most of this season and McCann instantly stepped up to the role and succeeded.

What you're saying is the Leafs do not have a legit centre to fill that gap and Keefe/Dubas are completely caught off-guard...

Bergeron got hurt for Boston in the 2018 series against us and they replaced him with Riley Nash on the top line. They won the game.

If Nash is good enough for them, surely he's good enough for us.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So you're saying we don't have a #2 centre ready to play?

Malkin went down for the Pens for most of this season and McCann instantly stepped up to the role and succeeded.

What you're saying is the Leafs do not have a legit centre to fill that gap and Keefe/Dubas are completely caught off-guard...

McCann doesn't offer anywhere near the same on ice impact as Malkin and the Pens lost the opening game of the series...

Hard to understand the point you're trying to make here

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
And who took McCann's spot on his regular line? Then who took the spot of the person who took McCann's spot? Maybe Sid took some shifts as #3 center, maybe a winger did, maybe the #4 center did.

McCann didn't spend the whole game being the #2 and #3 center. This isn't a video game.

Exactly

Reactions: Menzinger

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Better keep Sandin in.

Sandin is much better than what he showed today, and honestly he wasn’t even bad. Just the one mistake, which wouldn’t have happened if Thornton wasn’t on the PP.

Keep Sandin in, let Thornton sit. Brooks is the better option.

I must of saw the game differently. I thought Sandin was the worst leaf defender by a fairly wide margin, and look overwhelmed at times with the physicality/pace of the game, especially early.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
McCann doesn't offer anywhere near the same on ice impact as Malkin and the Pens lost the opening game of the series...

Hard to understand the point you're trying to make here

McCann played incredibly in the regular season after Malkin was hurt for most of it, in his role.

That was entirely the point.

And that was entirely made clear.

Where did you get confused, exactly? :help:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
And who took McCann's spot on his regular line? Then who took the spot of the person who took McCann's spot? Maybe Sid took some shifts as #3 center, maybe a winger did, maybe the #4 center did.

McCann didn't spend the whole game being the #2 and #3 center. This isn't a video game.

Yep. Spot on. im.not sure why this is even a suggestion lol. Nothing suppors this (not advanced stats or other wise) anything to the contrary

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Not wasnt. And the suggestion that he came close to replicating Malkin is laughable.

McCann (who started a winger for the Pens) is a better 2nd line center than any Leafs available option right now...

Yes/No ?

Depth options are always going to be tough when you pay players $11+ million a year...

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
McCann played incredibly in the regular season after Malkin was hurt for most of it, in his role.

That was entirely the point.

And that was entirely made clear.

Where did you get confused, exactly? :help:

You're the one who is confused. When Malkin was out the Penguins didn't play every game with 11 forwards.

Or do you honestly think the Leafs had a 13th forward sitting in the press box who got dressed between periods?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
McCann (who started a winger for the Pens) is a better 2nd line center than any Leafs available option right now...

Yes/No ?

No. And it's not even close.

Just as the notion that McCann is a valid replacement for Malkin (seriously think about that one for a moment you're suggesting the guy who has a career High of 35 points is a close replacement for Malkin lol). It's not even in the same universe.....

Reactions: stickty111

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
No. And it's not even close.

Just as the notion that McCann is a valid replacement for Malkin (seriously think about that one for a moment you're suggesting the guy who has a career High of 35 points is a close replacement for Malkin lol). It's not even in the same universe.....

He's a very valid replacement as a second line centre.

They topped their division with him playing that role, not Malkin.

I highly suggest checking out Pens hockey, when given the chance for those reading this!

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
J
They had a capable 2nd line centre ready to go...

Jared McCann.

He was incredible and continues to be for them.

We have Jason Spezza?

Kerfoot will be our 2C next game and we will dress another forward. Not sure why everyone is getting worked up

HC7

May 2, 2018
My issue with Keefe is that the Leafs were rolling all year, and he changed everything in game 1.

Sandin has never played with Bogo before.
Dermott played basically every game.
Engvall was super hot leading up to playoffs.
Foligno played 95% of his games with 34/16 then Keefe puts up with 91/88 last game of season.
Gally played almost every game with 91/88 and they were all hot going into playoffs.
Nash is useless offensively, he's a 4th line C. Shouldn't have been in the lineup.

Similar to last year how he put JT with Matthews and Marner in game 5 after not playing them together at all throughout the year.

Reactions: mrbagina

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
You wanted the coach to bench 2 more players from the 1st period onwards?

that’s an absolutely ridiculous proposal

Kerfoot is a much better player than Thornton, he could have moved or Spezza and then you double shift Matthews or Marner with the 4th line.

Keefe's obsession with that garbage 3rd shutdown line is pointless when Montreal has no dominant scoring line to shut down and his teams have 4 5v5 goals in6 playoff games. He's awful at getting offense out of this roster in playoff games, that should be his #1 concern.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
They had a capable 2nd line centre ready to go...

Jared McCann.

He was incredible and continues to be for them.

We have Jason Spezza?

I don't get what you're talking about, you were complaining that the Leafs had to blend the lines today after Tavares went out. They had 11 forwards, they have to mix an match.

Next game when they are back to 12 they will roll 4 lines as usual with a new #2 center.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's a very valid replacement as a second line centre.

They topped their division with him playing that role, not Malkin.

I highly suggest checking out Pens hockey, when given the chance for those reading this!

The idea that he's even remotely close to being as impactful as Malkin isn't seriously worth discussing. No Pens fan would touch that with a ten foot pole.

The Leafs centre depth in comparison is considerably stronger, which includes actual 30 goal guys (not 30 points like McCann is) as options for replacement.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't get what you're talking about, you were complaining that the Leafs had to blend the lines today after Tavares went out. They had 11 forwards, they have to mix an match.

Next game when they are back to 12 they will roll 4 lines as usual with a new #2 center.

Excellent point.

One thing to have to deal with things in the fly mid game. If the Leafs do have to do without Tavares for next game they will have more time to prepare

Reactions: Stonehands1990

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Kerfoot is a much better player than Thornton, he could have moved or Spezza and then you double shift Matthews or Marner with the 4th line.

Keefe's obsession with that garbage 3rd shutdown line is pointless when Montreal has no dominant scoring line to shut down and his teams have 4 5v5 goals in6 playoff games. He's awful at getting offense out of this roster in playoff games, that should be his #1 concern.

Imo Kerfoot took the majority of JTs minutes. I only saw Thornton take 1 shift. Also special teams kept messing up the lines anyhow

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
I thought they didn't play hard enough, and didn't attack the net like they should.

How many times after a shot on goal were the Habs in Campbell's face, being dragged out by the leafs? Didn't see the Habs have to do the same thing to the Leafs forwards once.

They need to attack the net more, I thought it was a problem vs Columbus last year too. Need to attack the net and score the ugly goals in close checking playoff games. I thought Price had a really easy night. Rip on Keefe all you want, but I was expecting more from the players esp. after Tavares went down. From what i saw tonight and from the US series', both the Leafs and Habs would get roasted by the US playoff teams\

Reactions: LeafsRus and cookie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad