Injury Report: GM Benning provides an update on Canuck injuries

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Conference call today, and Benning gave an update on players that were injured prior to the pandemic.

Ferland- Traning everyday again, feeling good. He is at 100% and is symptom free. According to Benning, if the season was to re-start, Ferland would be 100% available.

Markstorm- Has recovered, and is skating alot in Sweden

Tanev- Good to go, fully recovered

Leivo- Not ready, still in the middle of his rehab

Very surprising news about Ferland.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Solely my opinion but I feel like with Ferland he might be 100% today but if gets hit the wrong way he's right on back to some level of concussion symptoms.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Good to hear about Ferland but still concerned with what will happen once he gets in a coupe AHL/NHL games

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Echo the thoughts on Ferland. He's at high risk now. Like with his last concussion, one wrong hit and he could be out again - and it could start to severely affect his regular quality of life.

Reactions: David71

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Solely my opinion but I feel like with Ferland he might be 100% today but if gets hit the wrong way he's right on back to some level of concussion symptoms.
plus if he comes back and plays half a period and leaves then no point of him playing. might as well be completely healthy 100 percent and then go for a conditioning stint for a week or two and then go from there.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Ferland will step onto the ice for practice, and the ensuing step will cause him to have a concussion.

At some point...both sides need to come together and do the most sensible thing.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's 'make it or break it' time for Ferland. He's been in concussion rehab for so long, if he's symptom-free but comes back and immediately has a relapse, then that could be it.

He has the rest of his life to worry about.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Covid is a blessing in disguise for Ferland then. Either he or the team should tell him to come back ready for camp next year, no contact hockey until then. It’s crazy to think he’d be playing(or trying to) right now if the season resumed

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
contract termination?

Why on God's Green earth would Ferland agree to a contract termination?

He would be walking away from over 10 million dollars.

He can literally show up to come up every year for the duration of his contract and say he is not well and not be cleared to play and get paid millions.

Canucks can put him on LTIR every year and not have to worry about the cap hit.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Conference call today, and Benning gave an update on players that were injured prior to the pandemic.

Ferland- Traning everyday again, feeling good. He is at 100% and is symptom free. According to Benning, if the season was to re-start, Ferland would be 100% available.

Markstorm- Has recovered, and is skating alot in Sweden

Tanev- Good to go, fully recovered

Leivo- Not ready, still in the middle of his rehab

They wouldn't have the cap space to activate Ferland.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Exactly. And they're at the point where they can't even keep Toffoli and not get rid of someone at the end of the season. Something's got to give...
I think the plan from the start was that Toffoli was a rental for a run in the playoffs this year. Don't see them trying to re-sign him when they have guys like Tanev, Markstrom and Leivo to re-sign.

Lackhalak

May 26, 2017
Assuming every player is healthy minus Leivo, what would the starting 20 be?

Miller- Pettersson- Toffoli
Pearson- Horvat- Boeser
Ferland- Gaudette- Virtanen
Roussel- Beagle- Sutter
Hughes- Tanev
Edler- Stecher
Benn- Myers
Markstrom- Demko

Spares:
Motte- Eriksson- MacEwan
Fantenberg

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think the plan from the start was that Toffoli was a rental for a run in the playoffs this year. Don't see them trying to re-sign him when they have guys like Tanev, Markstrom and Leivo to re-sign.
Leivo or Tofoli? I’m thinking Tofoli is by far the better player, so why would Leivo be ahead of him?
Marky
Tofoli
Tanev
That’s the order of our UFA guys, and their getting signed. Leivo is too often injured.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
Leivo or Tofoli? I’m thinking Tofoli is by far the better player, so why would Leivo be ahead of him?
Marky
Tofoli
Tanev
That’s the order of our UFA guys, and their getting signed. Leivo is too often injured.
$$$$

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

From what I heard, Ferland is basically symptom free when he's skating by himself and was symptom free when he went to Utica. He suffered sort of vertigo-like symptoms when he was in game action in Utica. I'm not sure why those symptoms didn't present themselves in practice though. Did he not play in a scrimmage?

It's one of those situations where do you just let Ferland rest until next season or do you let him play this season. In reality we are talking about a difference of 3 or so months. How significant would that be? That's a big question mark.

Practically speaking, Ferland probably feels he's ready and everyone else would be rusty just like he is.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
From what I heard, Ferland is basically symptom free when he's skating by himself and was symptom free when he went to Utica. He suffered sort of vertigo-like symptoms when he was in game action in Utica. I'm not sure why those symptoms didn't present themselves in practice though. Did he not play in a scrimmage?

It's one of those situations where do you just let Ferland rest until next season or do you let him play this season. In reality we are talking about a difference of 3 or so months. How significant would that be? That's a big question mark.

Practically speaking, Ferland probably feels he's ready and everyone else would be rusty just like he is.

Ferland was in a fight with Clifford on Oct 30. Got concussed. Did not play again until Dec 7 & 10, so 5 weeks between games, and ended up with symptoms. On Feb 14, he lasts a few shifts for Utica before having more symptoms, so that was 9 weeks between games. Now, it's been another 10 weeks. So even with 5 and 9 weeks between games, he still can't last. That has to be concerning because if the NHL comes back in mid to late May, he will be off for 12-14 weeks.

contract termination?

Concussions are a wildcard. Simon Despres got bought out by Anaheim a few years ago, but they never took a cap hit on that buyout. So, don't really know what factors played into him not counting against the cap.

Reactions: David71

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ferland feels like a Franzen situation about to happen. Ugh.

Surprised Leivo is still so far back in his recovery. I thought the initial expectation was that he'd be ready for playoffs.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Assuming every player is healthy minus Leivo, what would the starting 20 be?

Miller- Pettersson- Toffoli
Pearson- Horvat- Boeser
Ferland- Gaudette- Virtanen
Roussel- Beagle- Sutter
Hughes- Tanev
Edler- Stecher
Benn- Myers
Markstrom- Demko

Spares:
Motte- Eriksson- MacEwan
Fantenberg

That team is above the cap by quite a bit i wouöd think

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Marky
Tofoli
Tanev
Leivo provides pretty good value though since he’d likely be cheap to re- sign. I wasn’t even a fan of his coming into this season but he does a lot of little things well. Underrated player. I have a feeling Toffoli will prefer to stay out west, preferably with one of the American teams in the Pacific due to his wife’s situation. Canucks will probably have to pay a true UFA price to re-sign him but I’d love to see him back if the contract is reasonable and not too long(he’s not going to age well once he loses a step since he’s not the fastest guy to begin with).

I think Tanev is gone and even though he’s my boy, I’m okay with it since I don’t think a dman who plays his style will age well. The only thing that sucks is that I don’t trust this management team to actually replace him. Keeping Stecher would help but I don’t think Green likes him

Reactions: Luckylarry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad