Injury Report: GM Benning provides an update on Canuck injuries

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
From what I heard, Ferland is basically symptom free when he's skating by himself and was symptom free when he went to Utica. He suffered sort of vertigo-like symptoms when he was in game action in Utica. I'm not sure why those symptoms didn't present themselves in practice though. Did he not play in a scrimmage?

It's one of those situations where do you just let Ferland rest until next season or do you let him play this season. In reality we are talking about a difference of 3 or so months. How significant would that be? That's a big question mark.

Practically speaking, Ferland probably feels he's ready and everyone else would be rusty just like he is.

Yeah, I heard on one of the radio shows that he was having difficulty tracking the puck/ play. Like he was fine, but at full game speed he was having difficulty processing things, and that was the setback.

We might not know if he's over that until he's actually in a game situation again.

Makes me miss a guy like Gillis, because he'd probably have Ferland in some sort of cognitive function training, to test his ability to process and react at a high level. It sounds like his struggles aren't physical, rather than mental.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yeah, I heard on one of the radio shows that he was having difficulty tracking the puck/ play. Like he was fine, but at full game speed he was having difficulty processing things, and that was the setback.

We might not know if he's over that until he's actually in a game situation again.

I think we heard the same segment but like I said it was the vertigo like symptoms that came with it that was significant.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Assuming every player is healthy minus Leivo, what would the starting 20 be?

Miller- Pettersson- Toffoli
Pearson- Horvat- Boeser
Ferland- Gaudette- Virtanen
Roussel- Beagle- Sutter
Hughes- Tanev
Edler- Stecher
Benn- Myers
Markstrom- Demko

Spares:
Motte- Eriksson- MacEwan
Fantenberg
I think the top three lines and D are fine. For the training camp and remaining season games I'd like to see Roussel-MacEwen-Motte as the 4th line with Sutter and Beagle in the press box. If it works that could be a nasty energy line in the playoffs.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Assuming the season would continue with the regular schedule, they could only activate Markström, no LTIR relief left for Ferland and Leivo.

but if they are healthy they aren’t allowed to stay on LTIR correct?

so technically leivo(healthy?), ferland and markstrom have to be taken off ir and count against the cap which would mean we have to send players down to make the roster work which I don’t think we can even do without losing someone.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The NHL, if they play regular season games this summer (and I think it's still a pipedream), would have to make considerations for LTIR situations as teams made their decisions based on the regular season being over in the 2nd week of April and at this time of the year there is no salary cap (playoffs).

Many teams probably have issues like this as everyone has had almost 2 months of rest/rehab/recovery with no pressure to rush back into a lineup.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
The NHL, if they play regular season games this summer (and I think it's still a pipedream), would have to make considerations for LTIR situations as teams made their decisions based on the regular season being over in the 2nd week of April and at this time of the year there is no salary cap (playoffs).

Many teams probably have issues like this as everyone has had almost 2 months of rest/rehab/recovery with no pressure to rush back into a lineup.

true; but then you have teams at the deadline that didn’t make a move cause they didn’t have a player on ltir to “gain” cap space from.

so do you penalize a team for being healthy at the deadline?

do you penalize the teams that got lucky with the delay?

do you just say anyone that was on ltir can’t come back and play?

could you say players aren’t allowed back until the day they were medically cleared + the start of the season? (Aka markstrom was cleared 20 days after the stoppage so he can only come back on the 21st day after the restart)

Or do teams that go over the cap lose it from
Next years cap

so many interesting questions that they will have to decide on and some people are gonna be upset either way.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
but if they are healthy they aren’t allowed to stay on LTIR correct?

so technically leivo(healthy?), ferland and markstrom have to be taken off ir and count against the cap which would mean we have to send players down to make the roster work which I don’t think we can even do without losing someone.

Even without the league giving consideration to LTIR situations, I think it won't be that hard to maneuver. There isn't going to be a long regular season left if the league does restart with regular season games. Between conditioning stints and simply leaving guys on LTIR (e.g. Ferland) there are different moves you could make.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Even without the league giving consideration to LTIR situations, I think it won't be that hard to maneuver. There isn't going to be a long regular season left if the league does restart with regular season games. Between conditioning stints and simply leaving guys on LTIR (e.g. Ferland) there are different moves you could make.

I think the idea is that if a player is deemed healthy enough to play they can't stay stashed on the IR (i.e they have to fail a physical). Not sure what the considerations are or frequency of evaluations or anything.

But it is something the league will have to provide some leniency on.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Conditioning stint to where?

Reactions: VanillaCoke

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think the idea is that if a player is deemed healthy enough to play they can't stay stashed on the IR (i.e they have to fail a physical). Not sure what the considerations are or frequency of evaluations or anything.

But it is something the league will have to provide some leniency on.

Sure that's the rule but Gillis was able to put Malhotra on LTIR. Would it be difficult to keep Ferland on LTIR until the playoffs given the previous announcement that he would be shut down for the season? I don't think so. A player like Leivo who is coming off a long-term injury needs to be able to skate then practice with contact before he is cleared for game action. That timeline can be easily manipulated.

Conditioning stint to where?

Exactly. The AHL season is toast.

Good point. If AHL is not an option then there wouldn't be a conditioning stint available.

Reactions: timw33

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Wasn't edler healthy for weeks in 2011, while remaining on LTIR until he returned last game of the season when the team could make the cap work?

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Wasn't edler healthy for weeks in 2011, while remaining on LTIR until he returned last game of the season when the team could make the cap work?

I'm guessing if they have the proposed mini camp, physicals may be needed to take place. Different from mid season and delaying somebody coming off LTIR.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Well hopefully the league decides to just do a training camp and then straight into the playoffs with standing based on point percentage.

1) Canucks make playoffs

2) No cap in the playoffs

Problems solved!

I’d hope Ferland would still be out though, he seems to pride himself on being a tough guy so I think he’d want to play and management/medical staff would have to be the ones to tell him to wait until next year.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Well hopefully the league decides to just do a training camp and then straight into the playoffs with standing based on point percentage.

1) Canucks make playoffs

Problems solved!

I’d hope Ferland would still be out though, he seems to pride himself on being a tough guy so I think he’d want to play and management/medical staff would have to be the ones to tell him to wait until next year.

Be nice if we slip in, but I still think getting everyone to 72 games is fairest ... and it would give them a few meaningful games before the playoffs start. And that the league make a few financial adjustments to do with the realities of world right now.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

1) Canucks make playoffs

Problems solved!

I’m probably pessimistic about Ferland being able to stay in the lineup over the long haul. He had concussions in the past and had his season pretty much wiped out since the end of October following a fight with Clifford. No significant contact in the 3 games and 20 or so minutes of total ice time he got against Buff, Tor, and in Utica.

I believe remaining out of the lineup until next season will be better for him but don’t see him lasting a full season ever.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Funny reading all the comments from keyboard warriors telling Ferland not to play

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Funny reading all the comments from keyboard warriors telling Ferland not to play
It’s his choice if he does. The fact that he didn’t last long after each of his 2 comeback attempts does not bode well for him in the future.

he’s the one who has to deal with the consequences if he does suffer another head injury. We’ve all just heard snippets of the horror stories that guys like Franzen, Savard, etc went through during their recovery. To randomly out of The blue to not feel good sucks.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It’s his choice if he does. The fact that he didn’t last long after each of his 2 comeback attempts does not bode well for him in the future.

he’s the one who has to deal with the consequences if he does suffer another head injury. We’ve all just heard snippets of the horror stories that guys like Franzen, Savard, etc went through during their recovery. To randomly out of The blue to not feel good sucks.

Absolutely agreed.

And lets be honest, there are a good percentage of people who don't want Ferland to play because it's an easy way out of that cap hit.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
it is definitely worse when "tough guys" (who would not have to face the crippling life long effects of another concussion) are calling for Ferland to play from behind their keyboards

Reactions: vanuck and Peter10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad