GDT: GM 81 | Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Flames | Tues, Apr 16 | 7:00PM PST | SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
They need to play Demko. He needs at least 2 games to get his groove back or were looking at a short playoff run. If bubble Demko shows up we have a good chance.

God I'm getting antsy, let the playoffs begin already!!

Not without Demko please.

This playoffs will give us an idea who in our lineup can perform big in the playoffs. I think JT Miller is going to be a monster.

Reactions: David71

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
canucks starting their first playoff game might be on the 20th or 22nd according to some. 22nd would mean 3 day off for practice and heal some bumps and bruises for some guys. better option. 20th is too earrly. oilers start theirs 21st.

They need to play Demko. He needs at least 2 games to get his groove back or were looking at a short playoff run. If bubble Demko shows up we have a good chance.

Not without Demko please.

This playoffs will give us an idea who in our lineup can perform big in the playoffs. I think JT Miller is going to be a monster.
i think lafferty and garland will be x factors. on D besides hughes. probbaly zadarov leading the team physically in hits.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
I'm ok with Canucks getting just 1 point to clinch the division.
I don't want to stress over the off chance that 2 points means they're still not mathematically eliminated from winning the conference which could land them against LA or Vegas in Wild Card #2.

Although Dallas should win their last game unless they rest their players. Maybe it depends on the result of Canucks Flames game.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Hope somehow the Oilers lose to the Sharks and then Dallas wins their game. Then we can rest everyone.

Also hope that the Flames don't goon it up or hurt anyone. Playing guys who have nothing to lose, especially when they have someone as dumb as Pospisil is never ideal before the playoffs.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

BMO thinks demko should get a game in before the playoffs to get his rhythm going again. I really hope demko can get one game before playoffs start.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I would like to point out that many fans and posters praise Bieksa's comments about Hughes skill because he would know, but at the same time they discount what he has to say about Myers, Zadorov or Soucy. To paraphrase KB's comment's last game he says Vancouver's large defence will make it much harder for other teams because "they have a huge backend" "look at those guys, Soucy is 6'5" and isn't Myer's 6'8" and then they have Zadorov too, Cole (6'2")plays bigger than he is, teams look for these big defencemen for the playoffs. Especially when there are not as many whistles and because they are there Hughes gets a little more room, who wants to take on Zadorov?"

I like to point this out as I have said that for years, size matters in the real season. Even now some "experts" have said they would like to have bigger forwards.

This is a mean nothing game. Demko is not ready, don't push it. Calgary will not be a push over even though they played last night, at least not until the outcome is determined. A tight playoff type game.

Rest the big dogs a bit, winning the division is great but they don't have to win THIS game

Last few games, Zadorov, Myers and Soucy started throwing their weight around and stepping up more offensively showing that Vancouver is not Hughes or bust on the back end. One thing to watch when the big guys get going, if they rush the puck they aren't losing it much and they are not the last one's on the back check. They are deceptively fast, they take 3 strides between the blue line and center ice line and with their sticks they have around 14' wingspan.

I am looking forward to watch the back end put the hurt on guys, hit.
A good result in this game would be 4-0 Canucks while keeping the Flames to 22 shots or less.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

BMO thinks demko should get a game in before the playoffs to get his rhythm going again. I really hope demko can get one game before playoffs start.

The Demko injury is a huge concern in my opinion. If he isn’t able to come back and instantly play at a high level I think we’re done in the first round. And that’s a very difficult thing to ask considering he hasn’t played in over a month.

Reactions: theguardianII

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Couple of impactful games to keep an eye on tonight - LA vs. Minnesota (LA tries to stay up on Vegas), Nashville vs. Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh fights to keep its playoff hopes alive, while Nashville looks to solidify the WC 1 spot), and Edmonton vs. San Jose (an Edmonton loss would give the Canucks the divisional win).

Go Sharks Go!

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Probably a good one to get Demko in for.

Lock up the division, have a nice celebration at home, then rest the big guns (Miller, Boesser, Hughes, Petey, etc.) for the final game of the season against the Jets.
This certainly seems to be the ideal plan.

I think they were targeting the Calgary game for Demko's return. Ideally they get at least a point, division is secured, rest their top players Thursday.

Reactions: Vector

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Couple of impactful games to keep an eye on tonight - LA vs. Minnesota (LA tries to stay up on Vegas), Nashville vs. Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh fights to keep its playoff hopes alive, while Nashville looks to solidify the WC 1 spot), and Edmonton vs. San Jose (an Edmonton loss would give the Canucks the divisional win).

Go Sharks Go!
I hope Sid, Geno, and Letang all get another chance. Crosby is the true MVP of the league imo.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

I think we might hear that Demko has/had or will have a minor set back and the team just wants to be sure.
Pretty sure fans have sold out the playoffs after getting over sticker shock so his being in or out could be gamesmanship.
Next few minutes will tell

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I think we might hear that Demko has/had or will have a minor set back and the team just wants to be sure.
Pretty sure fans have sold out the playoffs after getting over sticker shock so his being in or out could be gamesmanship.
Next few minutes will tell
Is this just pure speculation? My guess is that Demko starts the next 2 games and is dying to get in.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Im so proud of how much this team has accomplished this season. Not a single one of us could have expected, without delusion, that we'd be at the top of the division at the end of the season with this record. All I hoped for was squeaking into the playoffs, and seeing some of that high-octane Rogers Arena playoff hockey for the first time in almost a decade, and we're about to get it. Go Canucks Go!

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Im so proud of how much this team has accomplished this season. Not a single one of us could have expected, without delusion, that we'd be at the top of the division at the end of the season with this record. All I hoped for was squeaking into the playoffs, and seeing some of that high-octane Rogers Arena playoff hockey for the first time in almost a decade, and we're about to get it. Go Canucks Go!

Yeah, I seriously doubt anyone saw this team, in THE best possible scenario, would be anymore than an 8th seed wild card.

Division title to me is more of a "yeah suck on that" to the Oilers than match ups. Let's not have one of those "We want Florida" moments lol.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It would be cool to see Crosby get a bit of a last hurrah in the post-season - although the idea of him and Bedard suiting up together for Canada at the WHC is also drool worthy.
At Sid's age, he'd likely pass on the Worlds. Not many 30 year olds go over.

Right now, NYI needs 2 points to secure 3rd in Metro. Can't afford to be tied as they have the fewest RW. NYI has NJ and Pitt to close out the year.
Caps are next in terms of control. Hold RW over Det so they can afford to win in extra time and end up tied with Det as they have the tie breaker and Det can't surpass them in RW. Wash has Bos and Phi to close out.
Det needs to sweep Mon and finish ahead of one of those 2.
Pitt has 1 more RW than Wash, but is a point behind. Nash and NYI to close the year for them.
PHI has 1 game left vs Wash and need help. Have RW edge over Det, but would only tie Pitt with a RW. That trio of games last weekend vs Chi, CBS, Mon destroyed them. Split that and get 3 points and they'd be 3 points up on Was and Det. Maybe just 1 point vs Wash and they'd be in depending on the second tie breaker after RW.

If NYI can win vs NJ, probably going to rest guys vs Pitt and get ready for PO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad