Post-Game Talk: [GM 70] Canucks lose to Golden Knights | 3-4 | Miller(2) & Di Giuseppe

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
I see both 91 & 92 averaging about 10 -11 minutes per game.. That is somewhere between 3rd and 4th line minutes. I think is pretty reasonable minutes for a guy who was demoted to Abbotsford and a NYR castaway.
Not if you want them getting experience and confidence as Tochett has said multiple times.

Hard to get any traction when you're not being given opportunity.

Its not a playoff race.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
He does but it also comes with the risk of injury in games that don't really mean much.
Obviously, no one wants to see him injured...but it looks like Tocchet is just letting Hughes do his thing to end out the year.....We've never seen QH play at this level ..The Canucks star players are playing like star players.

When the Canucks do indeed choose a captain down the road.....QH may be their man..IMO

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
kl,-*He has 8 more points than Garland in 7 less games.

Even in a down year for him, which I think has a lot to do with the constant distraction of being trade the entire time.

He has shown that he has value. Patience is needed with him. It wasn't that long ago that he was one of our best players (Canadian Division?).

I just don't see the value in taking back negative value for him. He only has 2 years left on his deal.
On pace for 60 points looks decent for a top six winger, but for a supposed goal scorer only on pace 17 goals and currently a -19 looks terrible - the worst forward on the Canucks and second behind OEL. Just going by the numbers that looks like a perimeter passer who is terrible defensively.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I think a big reason for Tocchet riding Hughes and Pettersson is to keep them happy and get them invested in being the leaders of this team. It's being thrust upon them. Management knows they can start negotiating with Pettersson in a few months and getting him signed for this "window" is key to their plan. They need Hughes to want to stick around. If the team continues to lose they'll find a way to bail. It's not a plan without drawbacks but it makes sense in the big picture.

Fren

Feb 18, 2023
He was playing terrible then. Lazy plays every night. The criticism was warranted
There's criticism, and then there's actual visceral, deep seated anger toward everything a player does. That's what was happening with Miller. It was pure hatred, not just "this player is playing bad and needs to be better". I've seldom seen anything like it before.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Not if you want them getting experience and confidence as Tochett has said multiple times.

Hard to get any traction when you're not being given opportunity.

Its not a playoff race.
What if that experience is getting dominated in situations they aren't ready for? How does that build confidence?
Confidence is a function of competence. You've done the work and you see the results. That is the formula.
Where are the examples of players who were gifted minutes without merit and blossomed because of it?

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I think a big reason for Tocchet riding Hughes and Pettersson is to keep them happy and get them invested in being the leaders of this team. It's being thrust upon them. Management knows they can start negotiating with Pettersson in a few months and getting him signed for this "window" is key to their plan. They need Hughes to want to stick around. If the team continues to lose they'll find a way to bail. It's not a plan without drawbacks but it makes sense in the big picture.
To add, it also gives them a workload that resembles the post season. So there is stuff yo be learned aswell.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
From J Pat - If the Canucks can kill their next 2 penalties, the pk % will hit the 70% mark. The pk looks pretty good right now, which is a good sign because the pk has been costing the Canucks a lot of points in the standings going back 2 seasons now. Fixing the pk alone probly puts the Canucks close to play-off spot.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Tocchet gives an explanation why winning meaningless games late in the season are important. And other topics of course.

Clearly, Kuz didnt play to the' identity 'of the team..judging from RT's comments.

I'm guessing that there was a clear set of instructions from the coach on how they wanted the forwards to play..RT called out 3-4 players.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Clearly, Kuz didnt play to the' identity 'of the team..judging from RT's comments.

I'm guessing that there was a clear set of instructions from the coach on how they wanted the forwards to play..RT called out 3-4 players.
Beauvillier was one of the other guys… wonder who the other 2 were? Bear maybe?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Demko was pretty poor tonight and the team still almosy pulled it out. Add in the team insulating Delia into looking good and to me this is a team concept that is sustainable. Even more so if management can upgrade in key spots.

They're going to have to work hard to create the cap flexibility to do so however.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Add to that the comments about getting D (like Hronek) who can help out Hughes. Coach mentioned Brisebois but not Myers as a D man who can defend and move the puck so help with Hughes’ minutes.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Few thoughts:

-Will join everyone in the obvious praise for Hughes. Guy is just on another level right now and looks like a completely different player than what we saw earlier this year when he may have been hurt and another level compared to where he's been the rest of his career.

-In terms of other defensemen, will give props to Burroughs for playing a reasonable enough game given the hectic pre-game situation it sounds like he found himself in. Bear was awful in the first period but settled down and was okay after that. Based on merit should be in a rotation with the other fringe guys when Hronek joins the lineup, but we'll see.

-First game in awhile we've seen some jump from the Pod/Kravtsov duo. Going to give them some runway here down the stretch, see how it goes.

-Mentioned during the game but I liked the screen by Boeser on Miller's goal and this was a game where he did some little things well. I think with how he's played the last few weeks you are basically seeing the peak version of what he can be and that's a complementary top-six winger. That's a 4-5 million dollar player and not a 6.65 guy, so the team will have to figure that out. But he's much better in this role vs a guy needed to drive play on a 3rd line. Which leads me to..

-I don't really like Garland as a player in the top-six but I really like what he brings as a bottom-six guy who is the primary puck-carrier. Joshua-Aman-Garland is just a well-constructed line in the offensive zone and not one I would have ever thought about. I always find it kind of fun when you have 3 guys on the same team for most of a season and you never even think of them as a line but they all kind of complement each other. I need to see a bit more production before I get too excited, but it did make me think that you could run something like that as a 3rd "offensive/two-way" line and then bring in a true defensive/energy line with some PK utility as a 4th unit for next year. You would need Aman to take another step, but I do think it's possible. Another situation where Garland's salary gets in the way and if him or Boeser gets moved it changes the plan, but if those guys are impossible to move again then you have some options.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
At some point Tocchet is going to have to stop over-playing people like Hughes and let others show what they have. Important decisions have to made looking to next year and letting others have a look could be in important in that process.

There are few decisions yet to be made on the blueline. Hughes and Hronek will carry the load for the next several years getting 25+ minutes a night each. They may not be on the same pairing but they will be the 1/2 guys. They need to rid themselves of Myers and OEL. They will try to re-sign Bear at reasonable cost (likely less than the Bear camp currently wants or it would be done I think).

Brisebois, Wolanin, Burroughs are all getting plenty of time in order to make "decisions" on. Of course the decision is simply they are 6-9 depth guys. Organizational depth but you aren't planning around them beyond that.

The decisions on the blueline is how to fill the 3/4 slots (in terms of ice...not pairings) but with the exception of maybe Bear that doesn't involve any of the guys currently in or out of the lineup beyond getting rid the two guys we all know they need to get rid of.

Up front I also think there are very few decisions that are yet to be made regardless of icetime. The decisions being made don't revolve around and Podz and Kravtsov type players. They revolve around things like can Joshua and Aman be a part of a proper PK next year and truly play a regular shift for 82 games. Can they resuscitate the trade value of Boeser and Garland. The decision on Podz and Kravtsov is clearly they need to earn ice with consistent strong play. They are getting a solid taste of the expectations they will need to be meeting when next camp opens. Then similar to the blueline you have guys who can provide some depth but aren't guys you are truly planning around.

And they've clearly made the decision on some of this guys and handed out contracts (DiGuiseppe, Brisebois).

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Losing those two points last night is incredibly frustrating in the effort to finish in 18th place overall. Every game is a must win here on out

• Haha
Reactions: Grantham

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Tocchet gives an explanation why winning meaningless games late in the season are important. And other topics of course.

It honestly does make sense when he’s a coach that focusses so much on structure.

And also identity, the only issue is we’ve seen this show before, so we’re kind of on edge, if this has never happened in the last five years, I think the market will be annoyed, but more receptive

Reactions: mossey3535

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad