Post-Game Talk: [GM 70] Canucks lose to Golden Knights | 3-4 | Miller(2) & Di Giuseppe

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
He has been much better since the trade deadline. Am I wrong about that?
I think he was okay against Dallas? And basically either "fine" or the same disengaged slug we've watched for the last 3 years.

I really want him to get back on track but he's the number one player in the league needing a change of scenery aside from every top Rangers prospect.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Boeser likely comes back next year worth his contract.
He has 8 more points than Garland in 7 less games.

Even in a down year for him, which I think has a lot to do with the constant distraction of being trade the entire time.

He has shown that he has value. Patience is needed with him. It wasn't that long ago that he was one of our best players (Canadian Division?).

I think he was okay against Dallas? And basically either "fine" or the same disengaged slug we've watched for the last 3 years.

I really want him to get back on track but he's the number one player in the league needing a change of scenery aside from every top Rangers prospect.
I just don't see the value in taking back negative value for him. He only has 2 years left on his deal.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I think the best draft % we had this season is 4th last at 9.5%.
I remember being 5th last for sure.. 8.5%

If the draft was today, we would have a 6% chance at landing Bedard (8th last) .
Correct. I think it's perfectly fair game to be upset about our seeding being ruined a bit but the odds have barely changed at all and there's this idea that we've completely destroyed them when our odds were gonna be complete dogshit regardless.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Another 29-minute night for Hughes.....Why? Would serve the Canucks right if he goes down with an injury.

R.3622ff671eba4d82b9dceaca1407922e

Reactions: alternate

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
So Kuzmenko was benched?? Tocchet is too hard on him.
Tochett is delusional.

He talks about wanting to get the young guys some playing time and experience, but the last handful of games he has been deploying the roster as if they're in a desperate fight for a wildcard spot.

Kuzmenko has single-handedly won the team games multiple times this season, but he us clearly an early candidate as a Tochett whipping-boy. His elite offensive ability outweighs him being a defensive liability, imo.

Canuck16

that's curtains!
Apr 11, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Correct. I think it's perfectly fair game to be upset about our seeding being ruined a bit but the odds have barely changed at all and there's this idea that we've completely destroyed them when our odds were gonna be complete dogshit regardless.
The bottom 4 teams all have a 10% chance or higher. That's the sweet spot. We definitely moved out of that zone with our so called winning streak. I think we all just want a chance at the phenom Bedard.
The way this team decides to win (especially when Demko is on) it looked like the team was going to go 18-2 in the last 20 and take us completely out.

WHo knows?! Good Karma for playing the right way. We shall see where we land...

Canuck16

that's curtains!
Apr 11, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Tochett is delusional.

He talks about wanting to get the young guys some playing time and experience, but the last handful of games he has been deploying the roster as if they're in a desperate fight for a wildcard spot.

Kuzmenko has single-handedly won the team games multiple times this season, but he us clearly an early candidate as a Tochett whipping-boy. His elite offensive ability outweighs him being a defensive liability, imo.
That's more than 1 occasion now with Kuz. It's not a Russian thing because Canucks immediately called up Podz and then acquired Krav and Tocchet has been deploying them with regularity.

I'm honestly baffled why Tocchet benched him before and today.

Reactions: Indiana

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
That's more than 1 occasion now with Kuz. It's not a Russian thing because Canucks immediately called up Podz and then acquired Krav and Tocchet has been deploying them with regularity.

Boudreau healthy scratched Kuz earlier in the year..mainly because Kuz was a no-show two games in a row..It was well deserved.

Maybe Tocchet felt Kuz was a no show tonight.?

Anyway, I'm sure Kuz will be back in on Thursday..Message sent.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver

Take a look at Podz and Kravtovs minutes the last 8 games or so and you'll realize he isn't playing much at all.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
This team does not go away easy. Completely dominated the most of second and all of the third and LV was very lucky to get that win. Could say that most of this is based on the play of the Big Three (Miller , Pettersson and Hughes) but even when they weren't on the they had Vegas totally hemmed in their zone. Can't see the Knights go anywhere with this group. Kings and Oilers would kill them if they play like this.

Good

Miller - I doubt there has been (outside of McDavid) a better player over the last few weeks in the League. Easily back in the ninety point range if playing like this throughout the season.

Pettersson - not as strong as some games but two way game remains high level

Hughes - another tremendous game. Controls the play as well as any defensemen in the League at the present time. Leaving good NHL players in his contrails as they grope to contain him. Ever gets a high end shot and he might be a 100 point player.

Di Guiseppe - forecheck was a big factor in making his line dangerous. Keeps himself solidly in the play every shift and just isn't making any errors. Miller is obviously carrying the line but DG is being a good complementary piece. Boeser showing a little better and is at least getting the puck and himself going to the net.

Not Good

Burroughs - wasn't supposed to be in this game and that may have hurt his play. Just fell out of the flow and didn't move the puck quick enough. Screw up with Boeser was very poor

Bear - playing a little out of control. Made the early mistake and then pressed to to compensate for it. Face mask isn't helping his play. To me, he'd be coming out if Hronek plays. If you want to pick up someone like Gravrikov trading Bear's rights may be the right move.

Kuzmenko - wasn't keeping up with the play in the mid-ice area or in his zone. Schedule might catch up with him.

Others

Kravtsov -little better. Came close at times which means he is starting to get chances.

Demko - held the team in the first and allowed the team to make a game of it but also let in a critical goal he should have had.

At some point Tocchet is going to have to stop over-playing people like Hughes and let others show what they have. Important decisions have to made looking to next year and letting others have a look could be in important in that process.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Garland or Boeser. Who do you get rid of?
Assuming I can get rid of them for the exact same return without retaining salary? Boeser. Garland is cheaper, and I think his quickness lends itself to multiple roles in the lineup while Boeser seems like a top 6 or bust kind of player.

I don't even really consider Garland to be some negative value asset, more of a 0 value asset.

Canuck16

that's curtains!
Apr 11, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Take a look at Podz and Kravtovs minutes the last 8 games or so and you'll realize he isn't playing much at all.
I see both 91 & 92 averaging about 10 -11 minutes per game.. That is somewhere between 3rd and 4th line minutes. I think is pretty reasonable minutes for a guy who was demoted to Abbotsford and a NYR castaway.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
This team does not go away easy. Completely dominated the most of second and all of the third and LV was very lucky to get that win. Could say that most of this is based on the play of the Big Three (Miller , Pettersson and Hughes) but even when they weren't on the they had Vegas totally hemmed in their zone. Can't see the Knights go anywhere with this group. Kings and Oilers would kill them if they play like this.

Good

Miller - I doubt there has been (outside of McDavid) a better player over the last few weeks in the League. Easily back in the ninety point range if playing like this throughout the season.

Pettersson - not as strong as some games but two way game remains high level

Hughes - another tremendous game. Controls the play as well as any defensemen in the League at the present time. Leaving good NHL players in his contrails as they grope to contain him. Ever gets a high end shot and he might be a 100 point player.

Di Guiseppe - forecheck was a big factor in making his line dangerous. Keeps himself solidly in the play every shift and just isn't making any errors. Miller is obviously carrying the line but DG is being a good complementary piece. Boeser showing a little better and is at least getting the puck and himself going to the net.

Not Good

Burroughs - wasn't supposed to be in this game and that may have hurt his play. Just fell out of the flow and didn't move the puck quick enough. Screw up with Boeser was very poor

Bear - playing a little out of control. Made the early mistake and then pressed to to compensate for it. Face mask isn't helping his play. To me, he'd be coming out if Hronek plays. If you want to pick up someone like Gravrikov trading Bear's rights may be the right move.

Kuzmenko - wasn't keeping up with the play in the mid-ice area or in his zone. Schedule might catch up with him.

Others

Kravtsov -little better. Came close at times which means he is starting to get chances.

Demko - held the team in the first and allowed the team to make a game of it but also let in a critical goal he should have had.

At some point Tocchet is going to have to stop over-playing people like Hughes and let others show what they have. Important decisions have to made looking to next year and letting others have a look could be in important in that process.
100% agree. I think he is puting management at an disadvantage when evaluating guys like Wolanin, Brisebois for next season. Throw them into deep end and at least see what you have.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Assuming I can get rid of them for the exact same return without retaining salary? Boeser. Garland is cheaper, and I think his quickness lends itself to multiple roles in the lineup while Boeser seems like a top 6 or bust kind of player.

I don't even really consider Garland to be some negative value asset, more of a 0 value asset.
I move Garland as he has more term attached and the difference in salary isn't huge. Boeser also has higher upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad