GDT: GM#67 LA Kings vs St. Louis Blues @7:30pm 3/7/19

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Hey kings fans is it normal that your play by play guy like.. Doesnt give the play by play?? I mean, it's not radio, but if I wasn't watching the game I would have zero idea what the hell was happening with his calls
I mean I wouldn't want to talk about the on ice product either lol.

Reactions: 3firstnames
Jun 30, 2006
Jim and Alex should review every concession stand item and rate it on the broadcast. Have some intern run out for loaded nachos from BS Taqueria and bring it back for review.

“Jim there’s a fly in my nachos.”

“Well Alex, it should be out on the ice, the kings stink. Get it?”

giphy.gif

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
It looks like Toffoli has decided to take the last 11 games off since he has 1 assist in that timeframe. This kid is so frustrating because before this last stretch, he had 4 goals and 3 assists in 5 games. If the Kings think that they are going to get a 1st rounder and a good prospect for him in return, then he is going to have to show more consistency.

Nobody will argue his talent when motivated. If the Kings could somehow harness Toffoli and Kempe, you have two guys who have the ability to score 25-30 goals each. That transforms your team.

I guess you could say that about 90% of the league though because that's what separates the guys who look like Tarzan but play like Jane from the guys like Alex Debrincat who you wouldn't even think is an athlete if you saw him on the street. It's that extra mental gear.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
It looks like Toffoli has decided to take the last 11 games off since he has 1 assist in that timeframe. This kid is so frustrating because before this last stretch, he had 4 goals and 3 assists in 5 games. If the Kings think that they are going to get a 1st rounder and a good prospect for him in return, then he is going to have to show more consistency.

Nobody will argue his talent when motivated. If the Kings could somehow harness Toffoli and Kempe, you have two guys who have the ability to score 25-30 goals each. That transforms your team.

I guess you could say that about 90% of the league though because that's what separates the guys who look like Tarzan but play like Jane from the guys like Alex Debrincat who you wouldn't even think is an athlete if you saw him on the street. It's that extra mental gear.

A scout said it best a few months ago - "Tyler Toffoli is a terrible hockey player"

It's true. He is below average at EVERYTHING, except his shot...but he's not good enough to create his own chances...and his accuracy is brutal, most of the time. 6.3 Shooting %. That's brutal to the 10th power....many defensemen have a better shooting % than that. Martinez has eclipesd 10% a few years...lol

TT : slow, cannot beat a defender, lackluster overall, no physical play, no urgency, no passion, little perceived drive, does nothing on PK, cannot check for the most part; maybe one good hit every 4 games, rarely wins a puck battle, would never stand up for a teammate, rarely makes more than a rudimentary pass, never really goes to the net. And now, cannot score goals - the only reason to actually let him play.

There are 186 top 6 forwards in the NHL. 6 x 31 = 186. The Kings have 2 in the 175-186 range. Carter and Toffoli.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
A scout said it best a few months ago - "Tyler Toffoli is a terrible hockey player"

It's true. He is below average at EVERYTHING, except his shot...but he's not good enough to create his own chances...and his accuracy is brutal, most of the time. 6.3 Shooting %. That's brutal to the 10th power....many defensemen have a better shooting % than that. Martinez has eclipesd 10% a few years...lol

TT : slow, cannot beat a defender, lackluster overall, no physical play, no urgency, no passion, little perceived drive, does nothing on PK, cannot check for the most part; maybe one good hit every 4 games, rarely wins a puck battle, would never stand up for a teammate, rarely makes more than a rudimentary pass, never really goes to the net. And now, cannot score goals - the only reason to actually let him play.

There are 186 top 6 forwards in the NHL. 6 x 31 = 186. The Kings have 2 in the 175-186 range. Carter and Toffoli.

And people say "Austin Wagner can't finish?" Misnomer. His shooting percentage is #1 on the Kings at 17.6%

Austin Wagner Stats and News

Tyler Toffoli 6.3% and Jeff Carter 7.1% can't finish.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Jim and Alex should review every concession stand item and rate it on the broadcast. Have some intern run out for loaded nachos from BS Taqueria and bring it back for review.

“Jim there’s a fly in my nachos.”

“Well Alex, it should be out on the ice, the kings stink. Get it?”

giphy.gif
Things aren't looking too good for Alex Trebek, having just received a diagnosis of stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

There was a rumor Trebek like Alex Faust as a possible replacement for him on Jeopardy. Some of you may get your wish as far as Faust leaving as play-by-play announcer for the Kings. I don't mind Faust. I have heard a lot worse.

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
I can stomach the losing for the next few years so they can rebuild. But i would like to see a few more bigger, and tougher players on this team. They might lose the games, but at least they won't get pushed around. I never like seeing the Kings get pushed around.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Things aren't looking too good for Alex Trebek, having just received a diagnosis of stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

There was a rumor Trebek like Alex Faust as a possible replacement for him on Jeopardy. Some of you may get your wish as far as Faust leaving as play-by-play announcer for the Kings. I don't mind Faust. I have heard a lot worse.
I'd rather have Jack Edwards.

Jun 30, 2006

I don’t mind Alex, but the chemistry just isn’t there with Jim.

Jeopardy is a great fit for him but I hope Trebek pulls off a miracle.

3firstnames

Dabbler. Dilettante.
Apr 18, 2018
Long Beach
I can stomach the losing for the next few years so they can rebuild. But i would like to see a few more bigger, and tougher players on this team. They might lose the games, but at least they won't get pushed around. I never like seeing the Kings get pushed around.
That's my whole thing. If the Kings are going to have a losing season, then cool. Do the retool/rebuild thing, because its clearly needed. But for the love of god, can we get some fire from someone? anyone? These days, guys hit our star players and no one cares. No one on this team stands up for one another. Started to see small bits last night but absolute lack of physicality from this roster is embarrassing. I show more fire in my non-checking beer league

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

Hard to imagine anyone else doing Jeopardy except Trebek. Incredibly sad to hear.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The broadcast crew is in for a grind. When the Kings were mediocre/ terrible in the past, FSW didn’t give them as much coverage. It’s been awhile, but I feel that we didn’t get a pregame and post game show every game. And the crew was basically Bob, Jim and one other person, Billy Mac and now Patrick. Maybe Darryl did a hit during an intermission.

Now, they have to provide close to 4 hours of content minus commercials and sponsorships. So of course they bring in more people like Carrlyn, Stolly and sometimes Army, OD and JC. Plus of course Jim and Alex.

Now you have over half a dozen people with nothing good to talk about when it comes to what is happening on the ice. So yeah, the commentary is going to be brutal.

If the team keeps sucking, doubt Carrlyn gets to go on the road and Jessie’s segments will be retitled Every Other Saturday Straight Up. Won’t surprise me one bit to see pre and post game shows get cut, maybe even next season or one moves to digital only. Probably post games.

At the end of the day, I have more confidence in the Kings broadcasting core than their players core moving forward. Jim, Nick, Darryl and Patrick know this franchise better than anyone else and have been there longest. I’m good with those guys because they have seen bad teams and know what to say to us.

The folks on during the breaks and behind desks are window dressing and I’m glad to have them there. I think they do a great job and I feel bad for them because they can’t say what they really think about the team without losing their jobs.

Now when it comes to Faust, I have no complaints about him. He calls a good game and he’s not afraid to criticize bad play. Bob is special and his replacement had their work cut out for them before Alex was out of diapers. If Alex is doing a painfully bad schtick with Jim, I blame Luc for selling the segment sponsorship to a company owned by a guy Stacia met at the gym.

Frankly, it wouldn’t surprise me one iota to see Alex move to a national job, especially if ESPN broadcasts more hockey. And I would be happy for him. But if that happens and the current regime is still around, I hope the person who gets the job is the Nick Nickson. Which was my preferred person to replace Bob.

At the time. Nick supposedly declined because he wanted to stay on the radio. With AM a thing of the past, I hope he reconsiders and gets the opportunity as soon as possible. Somehow I can’t see both Jim and Nick yucking it up together. Never happen because of marketing demographics, same as last time, but in this Kings fans eyes just another thing Luc has sold off from this franchise.

Reactions: KINGS17

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007

Faust is fine on his own. When he's done the NBCSN games and been paired with someone from the other team's broadcast (even Hayward) he's done well. Its him and Jim together coupled with the abysmal season that is irritating. When we're getting blown out 4-0 for the 3rd time this week I'm not much in the mood for the same dumb college hockey jokes.

Its the same reason all the dog stuff is so much more annoying this year.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Hey kings fans is it normal that your play by play guy like.. Doesnt give the play by play?? I mean, it's not radio, but if I wasn't watching the game I would have zero idea what the hell was happening with his calls

Thank you! Pass it on! Maybe if it gets around the league some changes will be made because as it stands it is just a disaster of a broadcast.

Reactions: Schmooley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad