GDT: GM#62 LA Kings vs Tampa Bay Lightning @4:30pm 2/25/28

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Great game for me to have the first two periods on at work and then not watch the 3rd as I decided to go home. Pulled in to the grocery store parking lot, read everyone talking up Leipsic and thought to myself "Of course he did something great after I derided him".

Then I watched the replay and it was just a horrible play by the goalie but I'll give him credit for hounding the puck.

Feel like Brown knew what was at stake with that SO "attempt". The real captain of this team knowing that the extra point doesn't help. Bravo.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Great game for me to have the first two periods on at work and then not watch the 3rd as I decided to go home. Pulled in to the grocery store parking lot, read everyone talking up Leipsic and thought to myself "Of course he did something great after I derided him".

Then I watched the replay and it was just a horrible play by the goalie but I'll give him credit for hounding the puck.

Feel like Brown knew what was at stake with that SO "attempt". The real captain of this team knowing that the extra point doesn't help. Bravo.
my biggest thing with leipsic is exactly that, hounding the puck

no one else does outside of maybe iafallo and even he's hit and miss. leipsic's cheap so i think we need him for the culture if nothing else

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
my biggest thing with leipsic is exactly that, hounding the puck

no one else does outside of maybe iafallo and even he's hit and miss. leipsic's cheap so i think we need him for the culture if nothing else

Yeah, I have no problem signing him for league minimum. I just feel like he stands out a bit because of the general trash effort we've seen all season from most of the team, ignoring the fact that Leipsic generally doesn't generate anything either.

In a season lacking nice plays, he's made a few and he's new so he get more credit than probably deserved. I don't dislike him at all though, I just don't think that Blake found a gem in the dumpster.

Reactions: tny760

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

Are you seriously not going to give him credit for an outstanding forecheck? He beat his man to position, stole the puck and distributed it to a teammates in a high danger area. To minimize that to a goalie making a bad play is just not fair at all. The people on here bashing him make absolutely no sense, there is absolutely no reason to crap on the guy.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Are you seriously not going to give him credit for an outstanding forecheck? He beat his man to position, stole the puck and distributed it to a teammates in a high danger area. To minimize that to a goalie making a bad play is just not fair at all. The people on here bashing him make absolutely no sense, there is absolutely no reason to crap on the guy.

I'm probably more crapping on the opinion that he is pretty good more than I am crapping on him.

I gave him credit for hounding the puck. The horrible play by the goalie helped him beat his man as TB players froze up on that play while waiting for Vas to do something. Credit him for not freezing up as well but, point is, you can find 100 guys in the AHL that would keep skating on that forecheck as well.

Unfortunately, it seems like the Kings only have a handful of those guys so his play sticks out more.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
I'm one that thinks Leipsic has been pretty good. Not 2nd line LW good, but pretty good 3-4 line LW. I have zero problems with him other than he can probably shoot more often. Curious to watch him set up Brodz the next couple of games. They should bring him back, not going to cost much, not holding anyone back, why not.
For anyone harping on Leipsic, they're just ignoring the 5,000 pound elephants on the team. Carter, Brown, Kopitar, Toffoli, Doughty and Forbort are what's wrong with this team, not Leipsic.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I'm probably more crapping on the opinion that he is pretty good more than I am crapping on him.

I gave him credit for hounding the puck. The horrible play by the goalie helped him beat his man as TB players froze up on that play while waiting for Vas to do something. Credit him for not freezing up as well but, point is, you can find 100 guys in the AHL that would keep skating on that forecheck as well.

Unfortunately, it seems like the Kings only have a handful of those guys so his play sticks out more.

Nobody is saying that he is a bonafide top line player, nearly everyone who has complemented him has basically said he would be a great addition to the bottom 6. He has a career .37 PPG in the NHL and was over a PPG in the AHL, he is a fast player that is highly effective on the forecheck and is constantly getting the puck into high danger areas. Beyond that, he is the only player outside of Kempe capable of making a controlled zone entry. Honestly, watch the replay again of the goal, he beats his man behind the net allowing him to be first onto the puck, then is able to make a stickhandle to create space and proceeds to thread the needle to his man in the slot. It was a highly skilled play and it is notable because he made a stick to stick pass to a teammate in a high danger area in an instant once he stole the puck. He makes plays like that every game, by utilizing his speed and tenacity to create chances and I don't think there are 100's of guys in the AHL that can do that. Anyways, I just don't understand why you would hate on him, he has been an exciting part of a gloomy season, let fans cheer for the dude.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I agree that part of what Leipsic does stands out because a lot of the crap effort of others.

However I think he does some important things really well, like keep possession crossing the blueline (not shy to lug the puck through the neutral zone), display great vision when he pounces on a turnover (look at all the immediate passes he throws out, whereas someone like Lewis often causes turnovers but ends up dumping it elsewhere or just making a safe play), and brings an element of dangling/creativity sorely missing across the rest of the roster that keeps people honest on defense (can't just step up every time expecting a dumpin) in addition to the forechecking element. I also do not think he's a top sixer, but he's an excellent bottom sixer imo, and I'd like to see him find a home here if for no other reason than he's shown me heart all year in a total trash, lost season. that's a good example for others.

He's scoring at a 30 point pace, so yeah, would be nice to have in depth.

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Leipsec is the only forward who can handle the puck at the offensive blue line and buy time for his line mates to enter the attacking zone. His lateral movement and ability to elude checkers stands out as skills lacking elsewhere on this Kings squad.

I think his lack of a shot hurts him the most and I feel he tries to overcompensate with aggressive stick handling, which isn’t skilled enough to beat NHL players more often than not and would make any turnovers worthwhile.

Until the Kings have a guy with a similar and better skill set, I can think of multiple other redundant players who should lose future ice time ahead of Leipsec.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Does Quicks contract have the same retirement poison pill as Carters?
Yes, if the Kings traded him and Quick retired, the Kings would be stuck with a recapture penalty, or even if he just retires period.

After this season Quick only has three years remaining on his deal, and only $9M left to be paid. You can see that's an average of $3M a season, which is quite a bit less than his cap hit of $5.8M. The intention of the original contract was to have Quick retire after this season, or perhaps stay on one more season splitting time with the goalie of the future.

By the end of this season Quick will have been paid $49M of the $58M total on the contract, less what he lost to the lockout in 2012-13, and to escrow in subsequent seasons.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yes, if the Kings traded him and Quick retired, the Kings would be stuck with a recapture penalty, or even if he just retires period.

After this season Quick only has three years remaining on his deal, and only $9M left to be paid. You can see that's an average of $3M a season, which is quite a bit less than his cap hit of $5.8M. The intention of the original contract was to have Quick retire after this season, or perhaps stay on one more season splitting time with the goalie of the future.

By the end of this season Quick will have been paid $49M of the $58M total on the contract, less what he lost to the lockout in 2012-13, and to escrow in subsequent seasons.

Man, time flies.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I don’t care how many millions you’ve been paid, nobody is leaving 6-9 million on the table when all they have to do is show up to the rink to play the game they love unless they have mental health issues.

I mean, I know Quick is a goalie and all but...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00