Post-Game Talk: GM 6: Canucks def. Blues - 4-3 (SO) (Ferland, Miller, Horvat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
First game I've missed this season so far. I didn't see Hughes on the score sheet... how was he in terms of game play? Also curious if Schaller was able to keep his improved play up, in terms of being a defensive forward.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
The Canucks were gassed in the third period, the Blues play a heavy game. Still, they battled pretty hard and at 5v5 they gave as good as they got against a pretty good team.

As an aside, Virtanen was instrumental in the first goal and had a pretty decent game until he took that hit from Blais on the first shift he got promoted to the second line and it seemed to rattle him. I think Blais might have gotten a piece of Virtanen’s head and the refs let him off the ice even though it was an icing I believe.

He is protecting the puck, doing well on board battles and distributing the puck better. I think he could tighten up on his zone marking in the defensive zone, but at the moment he’s a useful piece in this lineup.

Last edited:

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Spotty performance but hung in and got the win. Game where players looked good and then not so good. Uneven efforts throughout the lineup. Too often the team was reactive rather than controlling the play but this could be expected against St. Louis.

Good

Demko - probably wants the second one back but real good in the early going and in the shoot out.

Motte - excellent in the third after a shaky start. Got moved around a lot after the 4th line gave up a couple of goals and got hooked.

Levio - becoming one of the "go to" player in terms of minutes for forwards. Great move in the shoot out. Still awkward at many times in his puck movement. Take what you get from this player and be happy.

Tanev - was a warrior around his net and on the PK. Very solid defensive performance and kick in with some good keep ins on offense. Don't think his skating is at 100% but making up for this with excellent hustle

Hughes - again making great passes out of his end and using speed to get puck out and not giving up too much o-zone time to the opponents. Off to a very good start

Not Good

Beagle - had real issues along the boards in his end and ended up a -3. Fourth line couldn't sustain the effort of the other night and was liability in this game. Schaller gave it a go but the speed and competition was too tough for in this game

Stecher - just got out-manned by a bigger team.

Others

Boeser -needs to start completing passes on the 2 on 1 and put the puck in the net when set up. Just not there right now. Good example was the chance in the first where Pettersson fed him on the 2 on 1 and he had to cradle puck before shooting it, giving the goalie time to get across for the save. In the past, he drops to a knee and buries it. Skating was a little better which creates hope

Pettersson - giving it his all but getting tied up in traffic too much. Like others contributing to a poor power play in this game.

Horvat - sluggish again for the first two periods. Seemed to always get pushed to the boards and then lose the puck. Had multiple chances but apparently squeezing his stick too tight. Got better in the late going but skating remains an issue. I think pretty obviously not on top of his game. Maybe the goal will get him going.

Miller - his backchecking was not good enough in this game. Too many times he didn't get back on his man going wide on the 3 on 2 forcing Demko into good stops. Also moved the puck poorly on the PP. (not alone there) Still he scored and competed physically with the Blues.

Benn - much better effort by Benn. Very few mistakes defensively and was strong on the PK. Had to bail out Stecher a lot.

Edler - this is the type of game that separates Edler from being at the top tier of NHL defenseman. Kept banging the puck off pads on the PP and contributed to shoddy efforts to gain the zone. In the early part of the game got shoved back into his crease allowing the Blues to control the puck in his zone.

Myers - forced into some poor puck movement and decisions in his end. Fall off from previous efforts. Good team like the Blues are going to push a lot of defensemen into mistakes.

Virtanen - to me, that was his best effort of the season. Much stronger on the rush and creating some offense for the team. Needs to not get put off his game when other team takes shots at him. Might have been played in OT.

Feralnd - still not following Green's system and not getting the ice time. Needs to establish more pressure in the o-zone and back check harder. Nice to see him get a goal and for the most part his line (when left together) with Sutter and Virtanen was improved.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
We didn't play good tonight in alot of areas but the fact that we got the win is good cause that's what great teams do they win games they aren't supposed to.

Reactions: Johnathon Tanner

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Nice to see your post quality finally showing some improvement as well. Keep it up DJ, nice to see

ANYWAYS i was all in for team tank cause the draft coming up is SUPER top heavy but hey if we can make a run out of it then why not esp with this goaltending and the super impressive play at both ends of the rink by Hughes. Feels good, LETS GO CANUCKS!!!!!

Man I love this team :yo:
Man I love this poster.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
The Blues wanted this game and came to play. They play a heavy game, make you fight for every inch of ice, but the Canucks fought for that ice.

Really liked Petey’s battle in the 3rd and in overtime. His backcheck on Tarasenko in OT was a beaut. He fought through some hard checking all game...some not so legal. That’s a good taste for him of what playoff hockey will be like. But his shot is off and he seems to lack the confidence to use it right now. He’s still getting looks every game though. Once he gets his shot back, he’ll score. In the meantime, he’s finding ways to get on the scoreboard.

Ferland had his best game. Drew a penalty, scored a goal, threw some hard hits. He definitely pissed the Blues off. Him and Jake thrived in this game.

Beagle and Sutter continue to dominate on the PK. The 5 on 3 penalty kill changed the game and gave the Canucks a chance to win.

I didn’t like the rebound on Tarasenko’s goal but Demko closed the door when he had to and earned that extra point.

Quinn...just wow. He is not really the defensive liability you would expect. I told my son last year there was someone even better than Petey on the way and I stand by that.

Reactions: Momesso

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sometimes on the road you just need a combination of horseshoes, dumb luck and a lot iron to get a result. Canucks probably deserved a win in Edmonton, but got their first road win in a game they probably deserved to lose. But any time you can come from a 1-3 deficit and gain a SO result, you take it and move on.

I'm really starting to like Motte's game.....Green has him buried on the fourth line, but I'd like to see them try him higher in the lineup. He seems to be seeing the ice a lot better than when he first arrived in VanCity.

Reactions: DFAC

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Looks like I'm going rather enjoy this game once I get home...

Anything worth going back in this thread and reading? I kid I kid.

But am curious to see what the "mood" was in here after 3-1.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Games and against teams like this is when Ferland really becomes valuable. Not afraid to push back, play physical, and gets under other players' skins.

Cant wait til he's eventually on a line with Roussel.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
They count shootout winners in their goal differential column. For some reason.
It's just baffling why they do that. The NHL has ghost points, but they also have ghost goals.
This sounds sexual.
It is if they succeed at it. At least for the fans. The best PPs in the league are really good at finding cross ice passes, because it's such a drag for the goalie to keep up with a one timer where they have to be so fast laterally.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Hughes had another great game. He's not a defensive liability at all. He looks like a veteran out there. He wins and loses battles like anyone but he's rarely out of position or unable to get back into position. That long OT shift was phenomenal when you think it was only like his 12th NHL game.

Boeser is the weak link on that line right now. He is just processing things a bit too slowly and making poor decisions a lot of the time. But at the same time you like to see him take chances because that's how you work out of it.

Generally Boeser and Pettersson need to get a bit more crisp and assertive because you don't beat teams like the Blues by slowing things down, rather you need to attack with speed and create some chaos to score goals.

They have so much size and talent at D that they can let you tire yourself out on the perimeter trying to evade their forwards and not getting any looks, and then they make you defend since they can transition the puck out to their forwards so well. They look like a team that executes their system so well.

Reactions: Skriko

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
rage doesn’t even begin to describe my reaction to edler and boeser throwing pucks in to shin pads on a 5 on 3 from the blue line

Hughes would’ve opened up so many lanes with his speed, agility, and puck movement; should’ve been out there.

Gutsy win for the good guys!

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
Blues are really playing on the edge when it comes to interferences... No wonder they won the Cup.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Blues are really playing on the edge when it comes to interferences... No wonder they won the Cup.

Playing on that edge is how you win. No doubt about it. And I'm not just talking about guys like Ferland and Roussel, it's also the little holds like Pietrangelo's chicken wing on EP's stick.

Reactions: Nucker101

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Pettersson really doesn’t want to shoot, it seems. He’s always looking to pass even when he’s got time to rip one. It’s really frustrating to watch.

Quinn Hughes is an absolute treat to watch every game. He’s just so controlled — he looks like he’s a seasoned vet.

Reactions: David71

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
First game I've missed this season so far. I didn't see Hughes on the score sheet... how was he in terms of game play? Also curious if Schaller was able to keep his improved play up, in terms of being a defensive forward.
Schaller was 'one an done' against the Wings....generally poor tonight where you really noticed his lack of wheels. If the lineup decisions were based on 'merit' then Schaller would join Beagle in the pressbox, and Eriksson and Gaudette would slot in for the next game against the Devils. But of course we all know that won't happen.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
NOW THAT WAS A CHARACTER WIN FOR THE TEAM. battled back. demko was solid!!! defense was good. powerplay still needs a bit of Work. petterson seems too hesitant to shoot the puck no space and time. boeser with 6 shots tonight which was good. miller what can i say? he seems to be scoring everynight. ferland finally has the monkey off his back. horvat with a goal on the road finally? last year he didnt score much? read somewhere only had 2 goals all of last season on the road? hopefully the captain starts to create chances for himself. 4th line after a great night against detroit they got scored on 3times when their line was on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad