Post-Game Talk: [GM 51] Vancouver Canucks lose to New York Rangers | 3-4 | Garland, Podkolzin, & Pettersson

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Delia with a .893 has been one of the better goalies in the league this year according to Woodley’s tracking data.

Our defense is so bad lmao
Yep, but on the flip side Martin and Demko are 3rd and 5th worst in the league according to Moneypuck goalie data (GSAE). This is among every single goalie that has played a minute in the NHL too. Not filtered. Only Merzlikins (CBJ) and Kahkonen (SJS) are worse than Martin.

Exactly why I hate the “goaltending is holding this team back” narrative.
Eh, that's just for Delia though. Not saying our D isn't bad obviously, but Martin and Demko are two of the worst goalies in the league this year. Beyond bad. We have a goaltending problem AS WELL AS a defence problem.

Reactions: racerjoe

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Yep, but on the flip side Martin and Demko are 3rd and 5th worst in the league according to Moneypuck goalie data (GSAE). This is among every single goalie that has played a minute in the NHL too. Not filtered. Only Merzlikins (CBJ) and Kahkonen (SJS) are worse than Martin.

Eh, that's just for Delia though. Not saying our D isn't bad obviously, but Martin and Demko are two of the worst goalies in the league this year. Beyond bad. We have a goaltending problem AS WELL AS a defence problem.
yeah but if Delia at .893 is above average then suddenly their sv%'s don't look as God-awful when viewed through that same lens. Still bad but not "holding this team back from being much better" bad.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Exactly why I hate the “goaltending is holding this team back” narrative.
It isn't holding us back, BUT this team and it's fans are so used to the team playing no defense and getting bailed out by elite goaltending that having normal goaltending comes as a shock.

There is a stark contrast between our goaltending this year and when Demko was leading the league in 5 on 5 save percent last year. If we had that all year, Bruce probably isn't fired and we probably either scrape in or barely miss and get a garbage pick. Almost a wholly good thing they didnt have it so they can't hide behind team save percent as a reason to not properly address the defensive personnel and system.

Reactions: racerjoe

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
yeah but if Delia at .893 is above average then suddenly their sv%'s don't look as God-awful when viewed through that same lens. Still bad but not "holding this team back from being much better" bad.
Well I'm looking at it through the lens of goals saved above expected. The stats within the stats. Basically all save%'s aren't created equal. GSAE shows how goalies are performing individually without taking the players in front of them into account.

How much the goaltending is holding the team back is up for debate, but I would argue they're holding the team back just enough to not completely dismiss the issue like fans usually do with goaltending so often. That's just my personal opinion though. It would be interesting to hear from someone like @mossey3535 about this.

It isn't holding us back, BUT this team and it's fans are so used to the team playing no defense and getting bailed out by elite goaltending that having normal goaltending comes as a shock.

There is a stark contrast between our goaltending this year and when Demko was leading the league in 5 on 5 save percent last year. If we had that all year, Bruce probably isn't fired and we probably either scrape in or barely miss and get a garbage pick. Almost a wholly good thing they didnt have it so they can't hide behind team save percent as a reason to not properly address the defensive personnel and system.
Exactly! I think fans in Vancouver are so used to good goaltending that when the team actually doesn't have it they just point to the D. They don't even know what bad goaltending looks like.

I also agree that it's good that the team doesn't have excellent goaltending to hide the massive flaws with the defence anymore. It all had to be exposed.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Good post.

giphy.gif.15ad07a1a122aed7d8419978fa452940.gif

Reactions: Jay26

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Get Joshua off the Miller line asap
Moving a guy like Joshua up the line up is one of the ways good teams can ice 4 decent lines, three of which can score. In a cap world you need a couple of guys earning around $1M playing middle 6 minutes. That could be players on elcs or role players that emerge in there mid 20s. Joshua could definitely be one of those guys. He has the tools. As others have said on here, he needs the consistency. If Tocchet wants to find "wall guys", Joshua has that ability plus.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Exactly! I think fans in Vancouver are so used to good goaltending that when the team actually doesn't have it they just point to the D. They don't even know what bad goaltending looks like.

I also agree that it's good that the team doesn't have excellent goaltending to hide the massive flaws with the defence anymore. It all had to be exposed.
I think people have this perception that bad goaltending is someone letting in a bunch of unscreened 40 foot wrists shots, but it's more of a long-run average thing where they can't be allowing every single high danger shot to go in.

A goal conceded is typically a breakdown from both the defence and the goalie, not one or the other.

Reactions: Jay26 and Vector

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think people have this perception that bad goaltending is someone letting in a bunch of unscreened 40 foot wrists shots, but it's more of a long-run average thing where they can't be allowing every single high danger shot to go in.

A goal conceded is typically a breakdown from both the defence and the goalie, not one or the other.

This has been a thing for years.

I remember Dan Cloutier games where we were dominant and allowed like 5 quality scoring chances in a game and Cloutier let 3 of them in for us to lose 3-2 and fans would be like 'They were tough saves! It's the defense's fault!' and ... no. Good goaltending stops probably 70% or 80% of the difficult chances they face. Stopping the easy 40 footers and letting all the tough shots in is not good goaltending.

Reactions: Numba9 and Jay26

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
This has been a thing for years.

I remember Dan Cloutier games where we were dominant and allowed like 5 quality scoring chances in a game and Cloutier let 3 of them in for us to lose 3-2 and fans would be like 'They were tough saves! It's the defense's fault!' and ... no. Good goaltending stops probably 70% or 80% of the difficult chances they face. Stopping the easy 40 footers and letting all the tough shots in is not good goaltending.
f***ing Cloutier. Will never forgive him for this:

• Haha
Reactions: Nucker101

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Man, good for Bo. What a palate cleanser situation that must be. Go from a dysfunctional, depressing, miserable organization and situation to a place where you're making a run for the playoffs, you just signed a massive career contract and your name is being chanted in the stands.
He’s never going to say it but him and his family are 1000% thinking the same thing. It’s a literal 0 to 100 situation in every single aspect and I bet he’s sooo glad he got traded. This organization is a tire fire.

Reactions: Jay26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad