Post-Game Talk: [GM 50] Canucks lose to Devils in OT| 4-5 | Kuzmenko, Schenn, Lazar, Di Giuseppe

Feb 20, 2013
Good result. Canucks were the better team but NJ got some very home ice refereeing decisions. You know it is bad when Shorty joins Cheech in the "they could've called that one" game.

Podkolzin continued to play as he has been in Abbotsford. Strong on the puck, driving the net hard. He needs to continue to play a little more selfishly because he has the speed and power to beat defensemen 1 on 1 and has an hard shot.

Pleasantly surprised by Beauvillier. Good speed, decent hands in tight, got in on the forecheck. Was a nice fit with Pettersson and Kuzmenko. Not going to replace Horvat, but he seems like a good top 6 complimentary piece.

Thought Boeser was better than others have estimated him to be. He is good with the puck on his stick, but skating is really a detriment at this point. He should be on the 1st unit PP both to leverage his scoring ability and to boost his trade value.

Reactions: Jay26 and Indiana

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canucks could have weathered the storm in the second period, they'd have won this game going away.

But in a 50-second stretch you got a first hand glimpse of why the Canucks are one of the worst defensive teams in the league. Poor clearances; lost board battles; and almost non-existent down low coverage. And another laughably bad night for Myers. Sometimes you wonder if this guy will even get another NHL once his current deal runs out.

Damn Jack Hughes looks like the second coming of Gretzky out there at times. He turns d-men into pretzels. Too bad about OT. Refs let a blatant penalty on Miller go; and then nailed Kuzmenko with a minute and a half left. Of course it was a longshot that the NHL's worst PK would be able to dodge a bullet three times in one game.

Podkolzin was a force on almost every shift. If the plays like that, he won't ever see Abbotsford again.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Was rubbing my eyes in OT....I was sure I saw No. 23 OEL out there. Why? Maybe Tocchet was having Arizona flashbacks from a decade ago.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I know a lot of fans will give too much credit to the Canucks but really the Devils played pretty badly. They only had one line consistent with others hit and miss.

Canucks had effort from lots of AHL players trying to make the NHL, a few might even get offers from eastern teams GM's that rarely see them and due to low cap hits maybe a few trade offers.

I really didn't think the game was all that good for either team, but lots of effort by the Nux

Reactions: Indiana and Gurn

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks should really have won this game in the third period. Two eyeball-to-eyeball chances for Joshua and Bear hits the goalie crest from 10 feet right in front.

Unfortunately the wrong guys got the gilt-edged scoring chances.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
It pleases me to see so many people compliment Podkolzin's play. I didn't get to watch much of the game but was wondering about him. We really need him to get back on track to being a big cog on this team, as he was looking like last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad