Post-Game Talk: GM 49 | Oilers def. Canucks - 4-3 (Miller, Boyd, Graovac)

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
We'll have to wait and see how he uses this NHL experience in his offseason training (hopefully this has been eye opening for him), but if he comes back in the fall and hasn't shown any improvement in pace/battle level...then we should be concerned.

Yeah, hope he has a good exit meeting and they are really upfront with him on what he needs to do this summer.

Because he doesnt have literally any impact on the game at all right now in any facet.
I'd rather see him making mistakes and competing, and seeing what he can get away with.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I’ve said it before but I just can’t see the Oilers going far in the playoffs. Smith is having a great year but the grind of the playoffs is going to wear him out imo. It’s the biggest hole on the team and I think it will cost them.
As an Oilers fan...We aren't going far lol.

We are not going to be a dangerous team until we have 2 players better than RNH and sophomore slumper Yammo. That is what will kick us out this year in round 1 or 2. We will be lethal when we have that and a longterm goaltender.

Toronto basically throws out Tavares and Nylander after Marner/Matthews.

They were separated for most of this year, but if 97 and 29 are together, we throw out RNH - Yammo-Kahun........Depth will cost us this year.

Hopefully with $$ freed up this summer and big decisions coming, Holland can pull some magic. We don't even need any stars. Just some solid 2nd liners/depth. Very frustrating.

The only way we go on a run this year....97 and 29 put up monstrous numbers and Smith keeps it up and our depth doesn't sh** the bed.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
You should check out CDC. Holy f*** that place was a nightmare tonight. All of his points were gifted to him tonight and his 100 point season wasn't even that impressive.
No. It was very impressive in this area. Be appreciative what you see.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
I know Green won't do this (As we're not mathematically eliminated yet :help:), but I'd like to see this lineup on Monday/Tuesday,

Höglander, Miller, Boeser
Pearson, Horvat, Lind
Gadjovich/Vesey, Graovac, Hawryluk
Vesey/Gadjovich, Boyd, Highmore

Hughes, Hamonic
Rathbone, Schmidt
Juolevi, Myers

On top of this...I'd love to see Rathbone + Gadjovich on the PP, and Juolevi the PK. Play. The. Kids.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
I know Green won't do this (As we're not mathematically eliminated yet :help:), but I'd like to see this lineup on Monday/Tuesday,

Höglander, Miller, Boeser
Pearson, Horvat, Lind
Gadjovich/Vesey, Graovac, Hawryluk
Vesey/Gadjovich, Boyd, Highmore

Hughes, Hamonic
Rathbone, Schmidt
Juolevi, Myers

On top of this...I'd love to see Rathbone + Gadjovich on the PP, and Juolevi the PK. Play. The. Kids.

That bottom 6......... :help:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Games like this make you think, Edmonton is 2nd in the division and we lose because McDavid put up 4 points and Oilers win 4-3. Rest of the Oilers team was quiet, it was PP/McDavid.

We beat them 2 days ago with this bad roster, but Oilers competed harder in tonight's game. The improvement across 4 games is due to coaching so people ought to give Green his credit.

Before this series with the Oilers, the last match-up was on March 13 where Vancouver won 2-1. Pearson-Miller-Sutter was used as a shutdown line and it was tremendously successful. They scored 1 goal that game. Sutter was #1 in EV ice-time that game.

I focus on Edmonton because they're going to challenge Vegas for #1 in the division next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimnastic

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Same old Canucks under Jimbo....either have a goaltender with a 0.930 sv% in the game or lose. It’ll always be something. Bad special teams or bad ES play or whatever. But something will rear its ugly head and bite them on a regular basis that if they don’t have a goaltender channeling Roy, Hasek and Dryden at the same time they are likely to lose.

it won’t change next year or in year the final year of the 9 year plan.

Also laughable to see someone say 100 points in 53 games isn’t special in today’s NHL. It is. McDavid is a special player. 24 years old and closing in on 600 career points. For perspective that is already top 400 all time. He’ll be nearing top 200 at 25 years old. This season his POints per game is 0.4 more than second place.

Last edited:

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
So a rebuilding team did what at the trade deadline this season? Dealt a 24 year old winger for a fringe 4th line energy player winger at best that’s totally useless offensively who is signed thru next season lol. That’s it. Acquired ZERO extra picks. **** you Jethro Bodine. But hey, give him two more years. :laugh:
Ackshully we also downgraded a 4th to a 5th and aquired a 6th.

Reactions: geebaan

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
So a rebuilding team did what at the trade deadline this season? Dealt a 24 year old winger for a fringe 4th line energy player winger at best that’s totally useless offensively who is signed thru next season lol. That’s it. Acquired ZERO extra picks. **** you Jethro Bodine. But hey, give him two more years. :laugh:

We never were or did rebuild.

...not properly anyway

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
There's the makings of an average to good 4th line in there somewhere. The problem is the gigantic hole of the 3rd line. Probably 1 of Pearson/Podz/Hog and then a whole lot of void. 3rd line centre who can free up Bo for more offense should be the team's #2 priority after fixing the D.

Hawyrluk - Graovac - Vesey
Highmore - Boyd - Michaelis
MacEwen

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You can't fault the Canucks for their effort in this game....they competed right to the final buzzer in a mean-nothing game for everyone not named McDavid.

And in the last couple of games they've actually got some production from their bottom-six....Graovac with a couple; Boyd and Hawryluk with one each; and Highmore and Vesey finally picked up points. Been a long time since the Canucks got anything from the bottom of the their roster.

In fact it really is an indictment that with Beagle ($3m); Sutter ($4.1m); Roussel ($3m); Eriksson ($6m); and Virtanen ($2.75m) out of the lineup, the Canucks bottom six actually looks more dangerous.

Never has an NHL team in recent memory had more dead money tied up in totally useless bottom-of-the roster players.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
You can't fault the Canucks for their effort in this game....they competed right to the final buzzer in a mean-nothing game for everyone not named McDavid.

And in the last couple of games they've actually got some production from their bottom-six....Graovac with a couple; Boyd and Hawryluk with one each; and Highmore and Vesey finally picked up points. Been a long time since the Canucks got anything from the bottom of the their roster.

In fact it really is an indictment that with Beagle ($3m); Sutter ($4.1m); Roussel ($3m); Eriksson ($6m); and Virtanen ($2.75m) out of the lineup, the Canucks bottom six actually looks more dangerous.

Never has an NHL team in recent memory had more dead money tied up in totally useless bottom-of-the roster players.

Graovac has 4 goals in 15 games as a Canuck. Obviously very small sample size but that's pretty good from a 4th line C at $700k.

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad