Post-Game Talk: GM 49 | Oilers def. Canucks - 4-3 (Miller, Boyd, Graovac)

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Harnarayan Singh is not the Oilers PBP guy, he's the guy we get for national broadcasts. We have Jack Michaels for our regular regional broadcasts. Harnarayan's the dude that went viral for his Bonino call on HNIC Punjabi a couple years ago. Seems like a good dude but trust me, us Oilers fans aren't big fans of his PBP either. Just thought I'd clear that up, sorry to jump in your thread.

im sorry you are subjected to this weekly atrocity.

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
Nobody except every hockey fan in the world minus you and a few other salty types. Have some class, this is a tremendous achievement. I say congratulations.
What was accomplished? Didn't watch much of the game just the last 15 seconds. Why do we keep doing doing a neutral drop pass between the legs and act like it's some kind of genius move that confuses the other team. I don't think any other team uses it every game like we do.

For the haters CBC was bias. Everyone was praising us last year. They do it every year to a Canadian team. Sucks when it's a rival but whatever.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Canucks lose, Rathbone good, what more could you ask for.

I may have missed a couple of plays, but with Rathbone, what stood out for me tonight was his coolness with the puck in his own end under pressure. Twice he made a quick play, with a couple of oilers bearing down him, which led to nice clean break-outs. And he is showing his offensive abilities that we have seen in the AHL. He can get into open space and get the puck on net. On the PP, he looks like he could do a lot of the things that Hughes does.

I'm not sure why we have 2 d men on the second unit - if its for defensive purposes or their just isn't enough forward depth for the second unit, but Myers is just too slow and predictable out there. Rathbone can quarterback the second unit, and with the emergence of Hoglander, and Podkolzin coming in, there is enough depth to make the second unit a legit threat with a 1-3-1 set up.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Harnarayan Singh is not the Oilers PBP guy, he's the guy we get for national broadcasts. We have Jack Michaels for our regular regional broadcasts. Harnarayan's the dude that went viral for his Bonino call on HNIC Punjabi a couple years ago. Seems like a good dude but trust me, us Oilers fans aren't big fans of his PBP either. Just thought I'd clear that up, sorry to jump in your thread.
Haha..I was wondering..How could Oilers fans listen to that guy doing PBP game in game out..?..lol

Reactions: ujju2

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Enjoying the dunk leaf fans down playing 100 pts in 53 games on the main board. Not that I hate leaf fans but I d0

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I think Michaelis likely comes out before Lind, but Lind’s ice time has been slowly coming down game after game. He needs to show something.

Its been a rough 6 games for Kole Lind
(2 against the leafs, 4 against oilers)

In 4 of those games he hasn't generated a single individual "expected" scoring event which is crazy
You would expect that from like a 7th defenseman getting 6 minutes of ice time.
Like one of his 2 individual events was a shot from a center.

He seemingly doesnt do anything while on the ice.
his shift leangh is very short.
he'll make a few passes and gets the hell off the ice.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Seems to me there are a few bitter people here today. Not just on this board but on the main board.

100pts in 53 games? Sorry, that is impressive.
You should check out CDC. Holy f*** that place was a nightmare tonight. All of his points were gifted to him tonight and his 100 point season wasn't even that impressive.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Seems to me there are a few bitter people here today. Not just on this board but on the main board.

100pts in 53 games? Sorry, that is impressive.

I was definitely rooting for McDavid while watching the game.

He made 2 cross-seam passes for Draisaitl one-tees on the 5-on-3. When he started to attempt the 3rd one, I had a feeling that was going to be point 100.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Have to say...of all the useless fodder on the bottom 6...if there is one guy I would keep at 900,000 as 4th line centre over Beagle at 3,000,000 ot is Graovac. He looks ok
Mac, Motte, Grao and Bailey should be locks for this bottom six but we need a different coach for this to ever exist.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
So that happened.

I mean, I don't have a beef with McDavid or Draisaitl getting the records they did. But dammit, this is just prime Canucks. Here are the stars setting records...and here we are going: "Oh, there's this one dman who looks really good in the last two games! Here's this one rookie who's had a good year...gonna be a stud!" I was doing this thirty-five f***ing years ago. And we're still there. We're celebrating a toddler hopping over a brick while our competitors are leaping tall buildings. That's just what we do. Every time this team has been caught flirting with real success or real greatness, it runs and hides under the bed for a decade.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Supposedly some of the Canucks are running on fumes right now, but you'd never know it by looking at the ice-time of the players tonight.

Rathbone just over eight minutes; Hoglander barely 12 minutes and little pp time; and Tyler Graovac who might had one of his most impressive games as an NHL'er just over 10 minutes.

I realize it was a special teams game so that would cut the ice time for some players. But Green just keeps riding the same guys night after night in this brutal stretch of games.

This was a classic game to reduce the ice time for Edler, who's ending the season and possibly his career with a nightmarish stretch of games.
Why he's out there on a 5-3 penalty kill is just head-scratching. I mean he's a pylon out there these days. It's just sad to see.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays

In 4 of those games he hasn't generated a single individual "expected" scoring event which is crazy

He had one decent looking carry in near the end but did an extra move and Hoglander went offside

Reactions: Ginger Papa

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Of all the players brought (or forced) into the lineup the one that has emerged is Graovac. Played a good two way game. If this team had any idea of development or was using the this late season to prepare for the future they should be trying him on the PK. If he was adequate there might be looking at him in a fourth line role. Fact they are paying Beagle so much when maybe a cheap Gravoac might be just as good is just another Benning boner.

Lind has nothing at this point that indicates he is close to NHL caliber. Just isn't a strong enough skater to take advantage of the skill he does have.

Vesey is showing he does have a defensive side to his game. Too bad he lacks any offensive side.

Highmore could play a dozen games and you would never know it. Guy, unfortunately, is a plug at this level. (Chicago knew what they were doing ) Ditto Boyd although it was nice to see him score.

Give Edler a rest and play Joulevi. And give Rathbone more time and also time on the PP. We know what Hughes can do, so start giving some of his endless game time to Rathbone.

Green is probably a good coach but what we need is a coach more concerned with team development than one trying to eke out wins. Look at Ottawa - Smith has put development ahead of everything else and, in the end, his team has not only developed for the future but also got better in the near term. Best coaches are always though that keep the long term firmly in mind. Guys that take short cuts and over play certain players to get wins now always lose in the end.

Said it before, I don't think there has ever been a team so dependent on one player. When he is as good as McDavid maybe that's a hard thing to avoid. In tonight's game there were two parts - the parts where McDavid was out and the Canucks were back scrambling to stay in it and then the parts where McDavid was taking a breather and the Canucks began to take over the play. Don't think you can do that way and win, but we'll see. Also they better not be over-reliant on Nurse - made critical turnovers the last few games that other teams are going to punish

Hoglander - I think he is now are top winger. Be interesting to see what he could do with Pettersson. If Pettersson is going, a line of him, Hoglander and Miller would be hard to handle.

That was the best game by Horvat since the Toronto wins after the covid break. On the other hand Pearson was again MIA. That contract looks like it will come back to bite us. Nothing new there.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC

We'll have to wait and see how he uses this NHL experience in his offseason training (hopefully this has been eye opening for him), but if he comes back in the fall and hasn't shown any improvement in pace/battle level...then we should be concerned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad