Post-Game Talk: GM 45: Leafs def. Canucks - 5-1 (Pearson)

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
These games suck without fans. It's crazy how the Super Bowl happened 3 months ago with fans in the stands and still in Canada not a single fan allowed in the arena.

Matt Martin was jumping Troy Stecher when both teams had nothing to play for. That's what happens when you get 20,000 people in a small space.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
These games suck without fans. It's crazy how the Super Bowl happened 3 months ago with fans in the stands and still in Canada not a single fan allowed in the arena.

Matt Martin was jumping Troy Stecher when both teams had nothing to play for. That's what happens when you get 20,000 people in a small space.
Hopefully we will have second doses administered by October. Then we can maybe start some limited capacity seating.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Must be a coincidence that the worst pairings that qualify by having been together for 50 minutes all have one thing in common
tyler myers

Worst xGA
1) Schmidt-Myers
2) Edler- Myers
3) Hughes Myers

worst xgf%
1) Hughes- Myers
2) Schmidt-Myers
3) Edler-Myers
4) Benn-Myers

weird coincidence

so he's like our new Gudbranson.

GG. R.I.P Canucks 3 more seasons.

Reactions: mossey3535

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Amazingly a better game by the Canucks tonight than last game...and the score was worse. Managed to make it close for the first two periods, then the wheels came off once the Leafs decided to get going.

Thoughts:

--I have no idea where this Virtanen thing is going to go, but holy shit. That's just something nobody needed.

--Some players are still going all out to make things happen. Miller tops the list. Horvat is kinda on there.

--Lind actually started going in the 3rd. You could see it in him; he got over the yips and something just said "Ah, hell with it." and he started really playing. Liked it. Not really sure what we're going to do with him at this point, but whatever. Take the little bits of good news where they come.

--Bottom 6 guys are at least trying. Thought Hawryluk did well. Highmore had moments of good speed.

--Boy, I'm sure glad that Juolevi wasn't on the ice in this crucial late-season matchup. He might have allowed a GA or something. Good thing the vets kept everything nailed down.

--Chatfield sucks.

--Schmidt is a classic example of a good player who excels in a good system and then gets stuck in a shit system and everyone wonders what happened to him.

--Edler deserves to go to a top-tier team next year and be the solid veteran depth guy.

--It must be really, really lonely for Hoglander and Miller being the only guys who can do a damn thing at ES.

This is a team of a few good pieces...but a whole ton of mismatched parts that don't have anyone good enough to put them together. Since 2014 it's been like watching a dyslexic guy play Tetris for seven solid years.

Next pointless game is...when?

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Couple of comments

Vesey continues to fight the puck . At least he getting chances but never looks like he is actually going to score. Amazing how the Vesey derby, when he'd made himself a free agent coming out of college., has turned into a complete nothing burger.

Boyd - I'm saying NO. TO really worked the match ups to get the Matthews line out against him so you you've got to have like sympathy but he couldn't get the puck out and absolutely no offensive presence. Dead cheap you might bring him back.

Lind - showing a bit. Has more skill than most of the Canucks lower enders (of which we have lot at the moment). But still very much finding his way.

Chatfield - not bad. Does seem to have the wheels to keep right in the play. Certainly wasn't our worst defenseman. Continue to play him but also PLAY JOULEVI

MacEwen looked very close to doing something. Looked like that before and didn't but another who needs lots of ice time going down the stretch.

Myers - starting to fade badly. Did have some good minutes -like on the PK - but overall was getting forced into some bad turnovers. Being asked to do too much. If he and others like Edler trend off under the pressure of the schedule this could get very ugly.

Liked Hoglander - Like others faded in the third but he was probably our most dangerous forward.

Sutter - his lack of energy is obvious - looks to be nursing himself through games. Chronic injuries (mainly his groin) make retirement an option here. Should never get re-signed - make him an assistant coach (maybe with the possibility of using him late in the season if the team looks like it is going anywhere). Think this player will make excellent coach.

Hawryluk - not an NHL player. Kind of scrub you have on poor teams like ours.

Give team credit for hanging for two periods. We are what we are!

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Time for the guys to play for contracts.

I will post this in another thread as well but has anyone considered that this group of players is worse now than when Benning took over?
There is less depth, more clause contracts, no Sedin's. Burrows was still better than Roussel, Hansen better than Vesey, Highmore, Boyd, ... Bieska, Tanev and Hamhuis superior to Chatfield, Schmidt or Hamonic.
The goal tending is better though.

In years past this team has had to play a lot of games in a very short period of time, the year of Tortorella the team had to play 15 games in 30 days followed with 13 games in 28 days, then 14 games in 28 days, 41 games in 89 days. Barely room for practice because they were travelling even more than now, no back to backs with the same team. So in a sense harder than up to now. That team also had the entire core injured for multiple games.

This group just needs to have the pressure valve released and let them go, maybe sit entire lines out a game at a time, being capped out hurts some of the possibilities though, can't bring Eriksson on board to play.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I like Demmer and marky, but hold the phone. Luongo was better than them both.

Luongo was already gone when Benning was hired. Markstrom and Lack were the goalies Benning had under contract, and Markstrom was not a Vezina calibre goalie at that point. As I recall, it was his lack of faith in that duo that caused him to go out and sign Miller to a big contract.

So, I'd say theguardianII is probably correct in his assessment.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Luongo was already gone when Benning was hired. Markstrom and Lack were the goalies Benning had under contract, and Markstrom was not a Vezina calibre goalie at that point. As I recall, it was his lack of faith in that duo that caused him to go out and sign Miller to a big contract.

So, I'd say theguardianII is probably correct in his assessment.
I cant read. Totally missed the part about it being comparing early benning and late benning.

Reactions: Javaman

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
I saw those games on TV in 1967 when the Leafs won that Cup. It was my Sr year in High School in Rochester. The Rochester Americans won the Calder Cup in '65, '66, and '68 and lost in the finals in '67. They are the only AHL team to have made it to the finals 4 straight years.

What great years to be in High School and then on to college. The music wasn't so bad either. Motown, the English Invasion, and the start of the psychedelic sound, long hair, bell bottoms, braless chicks, and the free love generation. Those too young need to do a deep dive into the history of the 60's and early 70's. What a f***ing time to have experienced as a member. I'd relive those times any day.
You should make a Tik Tok about this!

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
I thought the Canucks did the right thing by picking up Vesey on waiver to give him a look-see. I think we've all seen enough now. I can't believe how awful he is at hockey. He does nothing well. What happened to this guy? At this rate, he won't even be offered a PTO for next season by anyone. I would actually prefer to see Eriksson back in the lineup over this guy. At least Loui can kill penalties and may be cause for a giggle or two.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I thought the Canucks did the right thing by picking up Vesey on waiver to give him a look-see. I think we've all seen enough now. I can't believe how awful he is at hockey. He does nothing well. What happened to this guy? At this rate, he won't even be offered a PTO for next season by anyone. I would actually prefer to see Eriksson back in the lineup over this guy. At least Loui can kill penalties and may be cause for a giggle or two.
If Benning is around he will almost have to contract him and give him a raise, there is no one else on the team. Benning also says FA don't want to come here. I don't know but if I was a young guy I would look at Vancouver as place where I could get a full time job, there would/will be many bottom 9 positions open.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
If Benning is around he will almost have to contract him and give him a raise, there is no one else on the team. Benning also says FA don't want to come here. I don't know but if I was a young guy I would look at Vancouver as place where I could get a full time job, there would/will be many bottom 9 positions open.
How bad is Vesey? He's so bad that even Jim won't give him a new contract!

Reactions: theguardianII

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
He was a consistent 16-17 goalscorer for 3 years with the Rangers, so it was worth a shot...Weak on receiving the puck, and easily gets stripped of the puck...I don't see him back next season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As bad as Vesey has looked, I'd still rather have him in the lineup at $900,000 a season than Beagle and Roussel who combine for $6m under the cap.

And it's painful on the eyes to watch Myers and Edler struggle these days. Edler is spent...which is rapidly becoming an ignominious end to a stellar Canuck career. And forcing him to accept a beat-down from Simmonds with no response from the bench makes it even more depressing.

As for Myers, he's only confirming what everybody but Benning knew from the start. He's a fifth d-man at best on a good team, and a top-four guy only a bad team like the Canucks.

When fast forwards take away his time and space, he's basically a turnover machine in the finest Gudbranson and Sbisa traditions.

Even if the Canucks were to leave him unprotected in expansion draft, with the term still left on his contract there's not much likelihood of the Kraken doing the Canucks a favor.

So this is another contract that will become the d-version of Louie Eriksson.

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
He was a consistent 16-17 goalscorer for 3 years with the Rangers, so it was worth a shot...Weak on receiving the puck, and easily gets stripped of the puck...I don't see him back next season.

It's the same old story with this team; player plays decently for several other teams, comes here, sucks wind, is traded/waived or retires. The kiss of death.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
That was my first year of watching hockey. I thought it was cool that the captain of the Maple Leafs was an "Indian guy". How old am I? It was broadcast in black and white...

Same age range. Of course it was black and white.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It's the same old story with this team; player plays decently for several other teams, comes here, sucks wind, is traded/waived or retires. The kiss of death.
So the Canucks are responsible for this players decline.?.lol..It was the Leafs that waived him..maybe they ruined him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad