Post-Game Talk: GM 45: Leafs def. Canucks - 5-1 (Pearson)

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
WHEN: May 1, 2021, 4:00PM PST
WHERE: Scotiabank Arena, Toronto, ON
TV: CBC
RADIO: Sportsnet 650

upload_2021-5-1_8-2-53.png

Vancouver Canucks’ Starting Lineup (unconfirmed)

Pearson - Horvat - Hoglander
Vesey - Miller - Boeser
Hawyrluk - Sutter - Lind
Highmore - Boyd - MacEwen

Edler - Schmidt
Hughes - Hamonic
Myers - Chatfield

Demko

MODERATOR NOTICE:

With allegations swirling on social media about certain players, please remember our Site Rules - posting defamatory information without a link to a credible media source is not permitted.

8) Claims of Insider Information/ Rumors & Hearsay: If you're an insider, contact us with proof BEFORE you post. These posts will be allowed/rejected at the discretion of administrators after consulting with other posters, moderators, and relevant sources. Deference will be given to veteran members who have established credibility. It's not acceptable to post that you heard someone has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, amateur/unvetted blogs, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

MOD WARNING:
A reminder to everyone that blanketed attacks at groups of people are Flaming, and are not permitted as per the Site Rules. So posts such as "all Benning supporters are idiots", "all Benning haters are children", "this board is petulant", etc. will be treated as Flaming. Please adhere to the Site Rules. If anyone wishes to read them, they can be found here: Terms of Service and Rules | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League

Relax, have fun, and Go Canucks Go!

Last edited:

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City

Because Simmonds shouldn't have been the one taking that fight. I'm against the majority, and thought Edler would have to stand in there against someone after making his hit, but it shouldnt have been one of the toughest guys in the league.

The Leafs can cry "rally the team" all they want, but a much stronger message would have been sent if one of their captains or leaders had dropped the gloves with Edler, not Wayne Simmonds. That was a bad look.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Because Simmonds shouldn't have been the one taking that fight. I'm against the majority, and thought Edler would have to stand in there against someone after making his hit, but it shouldnt have been one of the toughest guys in the league.

The Leafs can cry "rally the team" all they want, but a much stronger message would have been sent if one of their captains or leaders had dropped the gloves with Edler, not Wayne Simmonds. That was a bad look.
The logic you’re suggesting would mean a guy like Mac should fight Reilly.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Wálking the dog this am, and came across a crow. Must have had a dr. Doolittle moment. Crow cawed we win 3-2 in OT.

Reactions: I am toxic

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Uh oh. This can’t be good.

X-Posting this here and in the OP;

MODERATOR NOTICE:

With allegations swirling on social media about certain players, please remember our Site Rules - posting defamatory information without a link to a credible media source is not permitted.

8) Claims of Insider Information/ Rumors & Hearsay: If you're an insider, contact us with proof BEFORE you post. These posts will be allowed/rejected at the discretion of administrators after consulting with other posters, moderators, and relevant sources. Deference will be given to veteran members who have established credibility. It's not acceptable to post that you heard someone has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, amateur/unvetted blogs, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Can you explain that logic, I'm not following.

I think he’s suggesting Simmonds went after a noted non-fighter in Edler, so MacEwen should do the same in return?

I’m not happy Simmonds didn’t get an instigator, especially after the bullshit one handed to Hamonic a week earlier by the same refs. But Edler threw a cheap shot at one of their better players - it can’t have been unexpected that someone would challenge him to a fight. Think about MacEwen and Forbort earlier this year - or the blood we’d want if someone on the Leafs hung a knee on Pettersson or Hughes.

No, Edler isn’t a fighter, and he’s a respected veteran - but the situation played out in a way that didn’t surprise me or really upset me (other than Simmonds not getting an instigator).

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
I think he’s suggesting Simmonds went after a noted non-fighter in Edler, so MacEwen should do the same in return?

I’m not happy Simmonds didn’t get an instigator, especially after the bullshit one handed to Hamonic a week earlier by the same refs. But Edler threw a cheap shot at one of their better players - it can’t have been unexpected that someone would challenge him to a fight. Think about MacEwen and Forbort earlier this year - or the blood we’d want if someone on the Leafs hung a knee on Pettersson or Hughes.

No, Edler isn’t a fighter, and he’s a respected veteran - but the situation played out in a way that didn’t surprise me or really upset me (other than Simmonds not getting an instigator).

I don't get how Reilly is involved. But Liljegren knocked Motte out. A comparable would be MacEwen beating up him.

The first game after the Matheson incident, Bo challenged him off the opening draw. He declined. Bo isn't a fighter, but he's a leader and it sent a way stronger message to the team than if Gudbranson goes after him. Matheson declined, so Virtanen and Gudbranson ended up going after him later in the game.

Simmonds doing that to Edler does nothing to rally the Leafs. In fact, it just shows that their leadership group didn't have the stones to take care of business. Edler deserves that respect. Nobody has a problem with it if Thornton, Reilly or Tavares challenges Edler.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don't get how Reilly is involved. But Liljegren knocked Motte out. A comparable would be MacEwen beating up him.

The first game after the Matheson incident, Bo challenged him off the opening draw. He declined. Bo isn't a fighter, but he's a leader and it sent a way stronger message to the team than if Gudbranson goes after him. Matheson declined, so Virtanen and Gudbranson ended up going after him later in the game.

Simmonds doing that to Edler does nothing to rally the Leafs. In fact, it just shows that their leadership group didn't have the stones to take care of business. Edler deserves that respect. Nobody has a problem with it if Thornton, Reilly or Tavares challenges Edler.

I see your point, well made.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

I didn't like Simmons going after Edler. And I'm one of the first to say the players need to send messages and deterrents to players that cross the line. Let's review what happened:
1. Edler clearly made an aggressive, dangerous, illegal play that injured another player.
2. He was kicked out of the game
3. Edler was remorseful
4. The league reviewed the play and gave him an additional two game suspension.
5. Simmons, a notable tough guy, takes on Edler who never fights. The dance was a little embarassing for both players.

What I really disagree with in Simmons' actions is that it wasn't a deterrent to Edler at all. Edler did the act, owned the act, and was sentenced. Nothing more had to be done. Yes, there is a code in the NHL. Players police players. But it was wholly unnecessary in this instance and had no effect other than to embarrass the players and the league. To make the point stronger, if this was Matt Cooke who made the dangerous play and would very likely do it again and again and again, then what Simmons did would be perfectly reasonable....IMO.

Last edited:

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I didn't like Simmons going after Edler. And I'm one of the first to say the players need to send messages and deterrents to players that cross the line. Let's review what happened:
1. Edler clearly made an aggressive, dangerous, illegal play that injured another player.
2. He was kicked out of the game
3. Edler was remorseful
4. The league reviewed the play and gave him an additional two game suspension.
5. Simmons, a notable tough guy, takes on Edler who nevers fights. The dance was a little embarassing for both players.

What I really disagree with in Simmons' actions is that it wasn't a deterrent to Edler at all. Edler did the act, owned the act, and was sentenced. Nothing more had to be done. Yes, there is a code in the NHL. Players police players. But it was wholly unnecessary in this instance and had no effect other than to embarrass the players and the league. To make the point stronger, if this was Matt Cooke who made the dangerous play and would very likely do it again and again and again, then what Simmons did would be perfectly reasonable....IMO.
There has been the argument that Simmons was telling his own team look I have your back. This would make some players play "bigger" knowing retribution was a shift away if needed.
Edler has been in the league and knows he could have turned down the offer.
Edler was lucky it was Simmons and not some young hothead that would not have stopped as a couple of sandwiches.
Simmons is not a goon. But guys really appreciate it and it helps confidence when buddies step up to answer the call.

Regardless, the season is done for the Canucks now, the odds are so long that the players should be taking care of themselves so the can play next year without recovering from useless and un-necessary injuries.

I pity the goalies, the last few games are going to be like playing on a beer league team. Maybe with the playoff pressure off the team plays better.

Montreal is now 12 points up on the Canucks, if the Canucks had a chance Montreal would have to lose all their remaining games and the Canucks would have to win 7 games because Montreal own the tie breaker. For every Montreal win the Canucks will need 2 and they just don't have the depth or talent even if they had Toffoli or Pettersson

IMO Benning has 20 days left and then the big announcement. I think there is a shadow management group around the city.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Edler took the fight. It's not a big deal. When he saw it was Simmonds he could have skated away but he obliged because he's a tremendous pro who respects the game and was willing to take his lumps for a reckless play on Hyman. It's no different than what we felt for Matheson.

The team may have not seen the hit on Motte so maybe they get a bit of a pass but they better step up to clear that crap up. No rookie gets to take a run at one of your hardest working vets who's had concussion issues and skate away untouched. That's pathetic if he does and it's also kinda sad that after seeing Edler get bloodied that we folded like a cheap tent when the team should have been in a surly mood in response.

This team needs to get it's shit together. I would call up Gadjovich he's earned it and needs a chance to show if he's worth protecting because Seattle has to be noticing what he's doing and will want some players like him in their system. With Jake looking like he's got some things to deal with it would be much smarter than playing the Vesey types who have no place on this roster going forward.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Edler took the fight. It's not a big deal. When he saw it was Simmonds he could have skated away but he obliged because he's a tremendous pro who respects the game and was willing to take his lumps for a reckless play on Hyman. It's no different than what we felt for Matheson.

The team may have not seen the hit on Motte so maybe they get a bit of a pass but they better step up to clear that crap up. No rookie gets to take a run at one of your hardest working vets who's had concussion issues and skate away untouched. That's pathetic if he does and it's also kinda sad that after seeing Edler get bloodied that we folded like a cheap tent when the team should have been in a surly mood in response.

This team needs to get it's shit together. I would call up Gadjovich he's earned it and needs a chance to show if he's worth protecting because Seattle has to be noticing what he's doing and will want some players like him in their system. With Jake looking like he's got some things to deal with it would be much smarter than playing the Vesey types who have no place on this roster going forward.
Who is the last player that consistently stepped up to support his teammates? Gudbranson? Yes, but there is a guy the league were worried about and he had more fights/roughing/booming hits than all the years of Gudbranson and also was able to play 18+ minutes when Willie tried to embarrass him. There is a reason Boston and many other teams want Tryamkin, he can play and he steps up t protect his players. He makes his team mates play bigger.
Canucks already have him. And for al he played in the KHL, look at the rookie of the year, would you get rid of him? Groot is one of the best defensive dmen in the KHL and he is already a Canuck who wants to play here so might take a next contract discount and this team desperately need improved defence. This is still a bottom 9 team in the league and will not be as good next year. Benning capped the team already.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
There has been the argument that Simmons was telling his own team look I have your back. This would make some players play "bigger" knowing retribution was a shift away if needed.
Edler has been in the league and knows he could have turned down the offer.
Edler was lucky it was Simmons and not some young hothead that would not have stopped as a couple of sandwiches.
Simmons is not a goon. But guys really appreciate it and it helps confidence when buddies step up to answer the call.

Regardless, the season is done for the Canucks now, the odds are so long that the players should be taking care of themselves so the can play next year without recovering from useless and un-necessary injuries.

I pity the goalies, the last few games are going to be like playing on a beer league team. Maybe with the playoff pressure off the team plays better.

Montreal is now 12 points up on the Canucks, if the Canucks had a chance Montreal would have to lose all their remaining games and the Canucks would have to win 7 games because Montreal own the tie breaker. For every Montreal win the Canucks will need 2 and they just don't have the depth or talent even if they had Toffoli or Pettersson

IMO Benning has 20 days left and then the big announcement. I think there is a shadow management group around the city.

On Simmons, I get it. There are two reasons for this type of action: 1. a deterrent towards committing future acts, and 2. payback for a team that feels they have been harmed, which, in a pugilistic sport, can motivate teammates. I support number 1. IMO number 2 is very, very sketchy but I know others have differing opinions.

On their chances. Yup, I agree.

On Benning. I hope you're right.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
On Simmons, I get it. There are two reasons for this type of action: 1. a deterrent towards committing future acts, and 2. payback for a team that feels they have been harmed, which, in a pugilistic sport, can motivate teammates. I support number 1. IMO number 2 is very, very sketchy but I know others have differing opinions.

On their chances. Yup, I agree.

On Benning. I hope you're right.
Well I think you missed the idea that Simmons team mates will feel more confident that other players might think twice if they are going to be corrected for a bad hit. It is Toronto that gets the push from Simmons action.
The other ideas are out there too. Remember when Pettersson was body slammed, the call for retaliation was intense, if it had happened immediately in the game it would have happened but weeks later it garnered too much attention

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The Edler episode is over (although I would like to see Zack McEwan feed him a few)...Again, I'm going to watch the game, and hopefully they make a game of it..and divorce myself from the result.
Ragging on players who are obviously fatigued ( like Hughes) is pointless.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I really hope they start giving PP1 time to Hog. At this point, we need to see if he's capable on the powerplay. It'd give the team a better outlook on the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad