Pre-Game Talk: GM 41: Whoa, we're halfway there - Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Flames - Dec 29 - 7:00PM PST - CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

canucks_logo.png
@
flames_logo.png

Game 41 - The Halfway Mark

Flashback to: Where it all began for Elias:

Vancouver Canucks' Starting Lineup (unconfirmed):

Loui Eriksson - Bo Horvat - Jake Virtanen
Nikolay Goldobin - Elias Pettersson - Brock Boeser
Sven Baertschi - Markus Granlund - Josh Leivo
Antoine Roussel - Jay Beagle - Tyler Motte

Alex Edler - Chris Tanev
Derrick Pouliot - Erik Gudbranson
Ben Hutton - Troy Stecher

Jacob Markstrom

Flame Killers:
Alex Edler - 54GP, 5G, 28A, 33Pts
Elias Pettersson - 2GP, 3G, 2A, 5Pts
Bo Horvat - 17GP, 5G, 4A, 9Pts

Sven Baertschi and Troy Stecher may make their returns to the lineup based on practice today:

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I smell a loss. However, if Sven Baertschi is returning, I would love for him to return in anger-slash-expectant-dad-strength. VAN/CGY is probably the one scenario where I want Markus Granlund to score a hat-trick, lol

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I smell a loss. However, if Sven Baertschi is returning, I would love for him to return in anger. VAN/CGY is probably the one scenario where I want Markus Granlund to score a hat-trick, lol

This will be a tough one, for sure. If the Canucks come out in this one with the same effort level they had versus Edmonton, it will get ugly.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This will be a tough one, for sure. If the Canucks come out in this one with the same effort level they had versus Edmonton, it will get ugly.
Agreed,..the Edmonton game reminded me of the Philly game a few weeks back..We need to see a complete game as in the team that played (and lost) to the Jets...

Calgary could be ripe for the picking tomorrow night...They are better than the Canucks,but I like the way the Canucks are playing lately...Maybe they will start Smith in goal, while we watch him and the Flame fanbase meltdown.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sorry to see both Gaudette and Biega leaving the lineup. Understand they have to get Baertsch and Stecher back in. But the Canucks are definitely losing a physical element with those two guys gone. Frankly, I like the Canucks blueline better with Biega than Stecher.

In fact with Sutter on the verge of returning, Jimbo has some tough calls to make. I suppose the easiest decision is to demote Gaudette. But they still have Schaller and Del Zotto stapled to a seat in the pressbox.

Canucks need to make a trade.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Canucks are nearly healthy. First time in a long time. Staying so will make them a pain for any team on any given night.

Their schedule after this road trip may be the softest in the league the rest of the way as well. Good on them staying 500 to this point.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Sorry to see both Gaudette and Biega leaving the lineup. Understand they have to get Baertsch and Stecher back in. But the Canucks are definitely losing a physical element with those two guys gone. Frankly, I like the Canucks blueline better with Biega than Stecher.

In fact with Sutter on the verge of returning, Jimbo has some tough calls to make. I suppose the easiest decision is to demote Gaudette. But they still have Schaller and Del Zotto stapled to a seat in the pressbox.

Canucks need to make a trade.

Methinks Schaller will be hitting waivers when Sutter is activated. He's the extra forward right now with Baertschi and Sutter on the IR; Baertschi coming back likely means Gaudette to the farm and Scaller staying the extra forward - but Sutter coming back will bump someone else to the extra spot, and ending Schaller's time here.

IMO.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Biega is so disgustingly mishandled by this organization, he’s clearly better than most of the replacement level junk on this blueline and clearly brings the most intensity and physicality.

Laughable.

And agree on this. Stecher should absolutely be back in, but Biega should absolutely be in the lineup ahead of Pouliot.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Biega is so disgustingly mishandled by this organization, he’s clearly better than most of the replacement level junk on this blueline and clearly brings the most intensity and physicality.

Laughable.

He’s seen as a “tweener” so he only gets spot duty and when he outplays his competition and gets sent back down due to coaches stupidity or contracts or whatever, it just reinforces the idea that he’s not an everyday NHL defenseman when he clearly is more than capable.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

Laughable.
He cannot pass and he cannot shoot. Which for a dman is quite important. He looks great skating 100 miles a hour and leading the rush except there is almost no chance he scores and he could just headman the puck to Petterson etc.. Still like him as depth player who is all out and physical.I

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
As long as he's only in bottom 6 and knows his place I'm OK with it.
But IMO hes not even good in that roll and has been pretty bad on the PK recently

Anyways the Flames are too deep and solid for us. 4-2 Flames our goals by Pettersson and Leivo

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Really looking forward to this one. Throughout our history, Canucks vs Flames games have never been dull.

My fave was one back around '08 at our barn. There were fights on the ice and a few in the stands. And we won. Electric atmosphere.

I'll be surprised if Smith is in goal, but who knows. Go EP & Brock!

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
I'm always up for a chance to ruin the day of an Albertan team.

Expecting a loss... but hoping for a win!

Canucks
5-3
Granlund, Horvat, BearCheese, Pettersson, Virtanen

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Methinks Schaller will be hitting waivers when Sutter is activated. He's the extra forward right now with Baertschi and Sutter on the IR; Baertschi coming back likely means Gaudette to the farm and Scaller staying the extra forward - but Sutter coming back will bump someone else to the extra spot, and ending Schaller's time here.

IMO.
When Sutter comes back we are still going to have an extra forward,even if Gaudette is sent down and Schaller go,s on waivers..if that happens.i think Benning might be wanting to make a trade soon....My worrie is Baertschi..
He is another hit to the head from the glue factory...pardon me..but just saying...

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Just scratch Pouliot. Biega playing with Stecher on the left side is still a much better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad