Pre-Game Talk: Gm 4: Boston Bruins @ Columbus Blue Jackets 10/12 2pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I think 2010-2011 and 2011-2012 really tainted a lot of people's perceptions. Looking at the numbers, the B's have actually had a winning record in matinee games in 3 out of the last 6 years.....and in one of those bad years, they were only one game below .500, so it wasn't THAT bad.

I'm not even talking about last few years I just remember for a long time even before the Chara era they seemed like they would always lose matinee games. Even if the numbers prove me wrong I always felt like they lost most of them for some reason. I've seen others say the same thing too.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
"Land of houses and zoos"... good one.

There was a tidbit from the Columbus media (can't remember where and don't have a link) that Horton had bought a 5 acre spread on a local reservoir and was thinking about buying a boat.

The game was originally scheduled for 7pm but was shifted to 2 pm. OSU is off tomorrow - no idea if that played into the decision or not. Does Boston have a 2nd afternoon game on Sunday? Maybe that was why.

As a CBJ fan, I'm looking forward to the game tomorrow to see where the CBJ are at. They looked like complete crap in their first game versus Calgary (after an 8 day layoff between the last preseason game and the home opened and Calgary is looking far better than expected). They came back from behind and won a shootout on the road versus the Islanders. Then completely smoked Buffalo last night.

We'll see.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH

There was a tidbit from the Columbus media (can't remember where and don't have a link) that Horton had bought a 5 acre spread on a local reservoir and was thinking about buying a boat.

The game was originally scheduled for 7pm but was shifted to 2 pm. OSU is off tomorrow - no idea if that played into the decision or not. Does Boston have a 2nd afternoon game on Sunday? Maybe that was why.

As a CBJ fan, I'm looking forward to the game tomorrow to see where the CBJ are at. They looked like complete crap in their first game versus Calgary (after an 8 day layoff between the last preseason game and the home opened and Calgary is looking far better than expected). They came back from behind and won a shootout on the road versus the Islanders. Then completely smoked Buffalo last night.

We'll see.

Should be interesting. Idk why the time was changed but I would expect to see a ticked of Bruins club coming off a shutout loss at home against Colorado. Hoping for a good game! :)

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Right.

Why let facts get in the way of perpetuating some sort of mythical sensation that the Bruins suck in day games, so therefore they will continue to suck in day games from now until the end of time?

Even when people explain and show the records that prove otherwise, people will shake their fist about the Bruins' inability to be prepared for day games.

As far as going back to the pre-Chara years....well, is that roster currently playing hockey for the Bruins? Why would the 2000 Bruins have any impact on the 2013-14 version?

The lulz sometimes. Feel how you wanna feel but continuing to prop up this idea that the Bruins can't bring it before 6pm is just kinda silly.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
I don't know whether the Bruins have a good record in day games or not, but matinees just rarely seem to have the intensity of night games.

As for the start time change, I just assumed it was cuz of the Red Sox game?

Boston asked Clumbus for the change, and they obliged? :dunno:

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
As far as going back to the pre-Chara years....well, is that roster currently playing hockey for the Bruins? Why would the 2000 Bruins have any impact on the 2013-14 version?

Not to mention a lot of those teams just weren't very good anyway, so if they were below .500 in matinees, that wasn't necessarily any worse than what they were doing in night games.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

We'll see.

Horton was quoted as saying, when he decided to go to CBJ, something to the effect of having a house for his family and zoos to take his kids to. Obviously he was trying to get across the point that he was looking for something other than city living, but the way it came across made it seem like Boston did not offer those things. It's kind of been a running joke on this board since then.

That and Boston does, you know, have suburbs.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
IIRC, the Bruins had a pretty decent record in the matinees last year. I remember addressing it with someone who said the same thing late in the season or the playoffs last year.

I don't know but it just seems to me that they either lose or really struggle to win matinee games. *Shrugs shoulders*

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
Horton was quoted as saying, when he decided to go to CBJ, something to the effect of having a house for his family and zoos to take his kids to. Obviously he was trying to get across the point that he was looking for something other than city living, but the way it came across made it seem like Boston did not offer those things. It's kind of been a running joke on this board since then.

That and Boston does, you know, have suburbs.

I read far more than I post. I was lurking over here after the signing (and the penguin petting at the zoo). I don't think any of us (CBJ fans) would take your (Boston fans) comments in a negative way. As a board, our demographic tends to run older than average on here and sarcasm and dry wit abound (it has had to, over the years).

Our fan bases can watch the implosions of Philly and NYR with glee together.

I don't doubt that Boston has suburbs, my question for you would be whether he could get to and from said suburbs to the rink (practice or game) in 20 minutes or so. (I really have no idea - we have a vendor, for work, who is in the greater Boston area who has commented to me in the past about how horrible the traffic is.)

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
This is a must win. Clode might have lost the room the last night. Eriksson is garbage. Krejci is the biggest embellisher of ALL TIME. Trade for a soft fast skating winger. Chara's too old and slow.

K I think I covered all of the bases. ;)

Tuukka suks on the screen side.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I read far more than I post. I was lurking over here after the signing (and the penguin petting at the zoo). I don't think any of us (CBJ fans) would take your (Boston fans) comments in a negative way. As a board, our demographic tends to run older than average on here and sarcasm and dry wit abound (it has had to, over the years).

I don't doubt that Boston has suburbs, my question for you would be whether he could get to and from said suburbs to the rink (practice or game) in 20 minutes or so. (I really have no idea - we have a vendor, for work, who is in the greater Boston area who has commented to me in the past about how horrible the traffic is.)
It can be pretty bad. I live 45 minutes away from Boston and I went down to south Boston to buy a car unfortunately at 3PM and what distance wise could've been maybe 2.5 hours at most turned into over 5 hours and didn't get home until after 8pm. Sat on the highway for hours, got off sat in suburb traffic for more hours. I was veddy veddy irritated.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

The practice rink is in the 'burbs, so that's no issue. As far as getting to the Garden in 20 minutes from a suburb? Sure. One where you could purchase 5 acres of land? Absolutely not.

ETA: Yea, traffic can be complete ****.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport

Ha. Somedays can't get from TD Garden (on the north end of "downtown" Boston) to South Station (south, obvs) in 20 minutes. Then again, rarely do people who live here (or in the burbs) and work downtown actually drive downtown. We just suffer the loss of personal space on the T.

Growing up in the Midwest, I get it. Been in Columbus a few times and the pace is quite different. Some folks just want that life. It has it's perks.

As far as the sarcasm and dry humor that runs rampant too, coupled with the people who really are just mean (I waver between both on any given day). Most of us are good natured and do not bite, contrary to whatever is perceived about New Englanders.

Welcome to the East.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
I don't know whether the Bruins have a good record in day games or not, but matinees just rarely seem to have the intensity of night games.

As for the start time change, I just assumed it was cuz of the Red Sox game?

Boston asked Clumbus for the change, and they obliged? :dunno:

Maybe. I first wondered with Ohio State had a game that night as I know that's the big show in town....but I don't believe they do.

Sox make sense.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
Just for giggles I looked up the population data...

Columbus (city only) - 15th most populous, Boston 21st

Boston metro area - 6th, Columbus 28th (and from my perspective adding Marion and Zanesville to the metro area is crap - too much open space in between, but people do commute and I think that is what they go by)

However, if we go by population density:
Boston 7th, Columbus 116th (city only)

Info from here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_areas_of_the_United_States

Some people just don't like big city life.

Now time to get back to hockey...

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
It can be pretty bad. I live 45 minutes away from Boston and I went down to south Boston to buy a car unfortunately at 3PM and what distance wise could've been maybe 2.5 hours at most turned into over 5 hours and didn't get home until after 8pm. Sat on the highway for hours, got off sat in suburb traffic for more hours. I was veddy veddy irritated.

There is no such thing as living 45 minutes away from Boston, for reasons that you've already disclosed. ;)

Yes, cbjgirl...the traffic sux!

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Hahaha you're so correct, but I should've said... Lets see I'm in Manchester so... 45-50 MILES not minutes lol. :laugh:

I usually describe distance by...well distance, as opposed to time.

It's amazing how many people have no concept.

Them: How far is it?
Me: 267 miles
Them: Face goes blank, eyes get blurry, head tilts to one side, tongue rolls out, one ear goes up...So, what's that, about 2 hours?
Me: Yep, just about as long as your Mensa meeting last night! :laugh:

Oh, I'm feeling mean and dispirited this Friday afternoon! :p:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad