GDT: Gm 28: Boston Bruins @ Montréal Canadiens - II

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
dont all teams get to play the same number of 82 games before the season is over? hasn't montreal played 2 additional games than we have... one a loss... one a loser point?

that's their lead... one loss and one loser point

lets see who gets the home ice advantage once everyone is done playing 82 games... and then when it matters who will be left standing when the cup is awarded?

Please, all standings are pretty much etched in stone by the 28-30 game mark:sarcasm:

No news flash here, our boys played a good 1st and 3rd, if it were just a game played over 2 periods, they`d have won this one. I`m far more concerned about JB`s health than I am looking at a Habs team, with two games in hand, being one point up on our boys on December 6th

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
finally saw the hit (wasn't in the nhl.com recap)

hard to find where that was even worthy of a penalty.

Disagree.

I know you pride yourself on your objectivity, but the correct call was made. There was no malicious intent by MP, but Boychuk is about two feet from the boards when he is hit. The problem is that while the hit was not directly from behind (back and side), MP does step into Boychuk and puts him in the direction of the boards. If he had come from the side, or if he had waited until JB was closer to the boards, no issues, but that's not what happened. He caught Boychuk in "no man's land" on a hit that could have been avoided (delayed).

I guarantee that if Boychuk had hit Pacioretty the same way, he would have gotten 5, strictly from the way the crowd would have reacted.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Montreal was lucky to pull out the win....well, lucky we have Price stealing things away. I hope Boychuck is just a little bruised and comes back next game with no issues.

Price definitely stole that one.

On the one side, you had MTL playing 3 in 4 nights and on the other hand you had the Bruins inactivity for 5 days and the emotions from not knowing about Boychuk. B's dominated the first and third, Habs the 2nd, and Price was better than Rask last night. Not the end of the world for the B's, just like it would not be the end of the world for MTL if Boston had been able to come back in the 3rd.

Just don't tell that to either reactionary fan base :laugh:

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Am perfectly content having Montreal take the early season games. Have fun with that. Enjoy your 1 point lead. Have full faith that when the games matter, it will be our boys in the W column and there won't be enough Kleenex in Canada for the Montreal fans. It makes me kinda giddy just thinking about it.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Disagree.

I know you pride yourself on your objectivity, but the correct call was made. There was no malicious intent by MP, but Boychuk is about two feet from the boards when he is hit. The problem is that while the hit was not directly from behind (back and side), MP does step into Boychuk and puts him in the direction of the boards. If he had come from the side, or if he had waited until JB was closer to the boards, no issues, but that's not what happened. He caught Boychuk in "no man's land" on a hit that could have been avoided (delayed).

I guarantee that if Boychuk had hit Pacioretty the same way, he would have gotten 5, strictly from the way the crowd would have reacted.

Then 5 from Shanny:sarcasm:

I didn`t see the hit being nearly as malicious as some we see. The end result was clearly one we never want to see and as much hatred as I have for the Habs, I just don`t see this one being suspendable.

I always try and look at it from the other side, if this were a Bruin laying the hit, could it be deemed as suspendable? I don`t see it that way with this one.

The real sting comes with Patch scoring the game winner:shakehead

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Disagree.

This is how I see it as well. 2 mins was the right call but if JB or god forbid Lucic did that same exact hit they would be having a hearing today after getting tossed out of the game last night.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
i cant imagine what wouldve happened if looch did that.
definitely wouldve been 5.

speaking of looch. i wish he would take the puck up the middle like he did on the first goal more often.

they should try and get him the puck quicker on breakouts instead of iginla slowing plays down at the blueline.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Am perfectly content having Montreal take the early season games. Have fun with that. Enjoy your 1 point lead. Have full faith that when the games matter, it will be our boys in the W column and there won't be enough Kleenex in Canada for the Montreal fans. It makes me kinda giddy just thinking about it.

Just think what the Habs would have done if they didnt play 3 in 4. That was disgraceful, dont be so cocky we are not much better than them if at all.

With all the in zone play Price had a pretty easy night.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
Price definitely stole that one.

On the one side, you had MTL playing 3 in 4 nights and on the other hand you had the Bruins inactivity for 5 days and the emotions from not knowing about Boychuk. B's dominated the first and third, Habs the 2nd, and Price was better than Rask last night. Not the end of the world for the B's, just like it would not be the end of the world for MTL if Boston had been able to come back in the 3rd.

Just don't tell that to either reactionary fan base :laugh:

I don't know. I don't think he did. I don't want to take anything away from him because he is having a fantastic year thus far but I don't think he stole it last night because all he was required to do is be good, not great. Many Bruins shots were from the outside with little to no traffic at all. It was a busy night for Price but it wasn't extremely challenging. On the flip side, Montreal didn't generate a whole lot either and Rask was good........except for the 2 goals.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Just think what the Habs would have done if they didnt play 3 in 4. That was disgraceful, dont be so cocky we are not much better than them if at all.

With all the in zone play Price had a pretty easy night.

3 games in 4 nights, 2 of those coming against one of the softest teams in the East who I`m not sure have registered a hit all year in the Devils.

I said it in the GDT, can`t stand games like this, can`t stand a team practicing for 4-5 days then trying to get into game action while another team, regardless if they`ve been winning or losing is in game mode.

Our boys had a strong 1st, Price played well, fell apart in the 2nd, played a strong 3rd and fell short. Either way, the sting of losing to the Habs will always be there not due to what the standings say, but for all the crud I have written on my Timeline, twitter and email from my Hab buddies.

December 6th isn`t the time this fan starts to have concerns about the overall season after a loss, regardless if we played a team that everyone here expressed would be exhausted.

The game never makes sense, I recall a week in November (might have been the 2nd to last week?) where the B`s played 4 in 6, won 3 lost in a SO to the Blues

Madturk

Oct 31, 2013
Florida
I think the bad angle goal allowed by Rask changed the complexion of the game. I thought the B's were close to opening up a several goal lead. The long layoff deifnitely showed in the play last night plus I thought the team would be more fired up after Boychuk went down.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
i cant imagine what wouldve happened if looch did that.
definitely wouldve been 5.

speaking of looch. i wish he would take the puck up the middle like he did on the first goal more often.

they should try and get him the puck quicker on breakouts instead of iginla slowing plays down at the blueline.

To be fair, Markov looked like his job was holding back half the Red Sea there. No clue what he was thinking.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I think the bad angle goal allowed by Rask changed the complexion of the game. I thought the B's were close to opening up a several goal lead. The long layoff deifnitely showed in the play last night plus I thought the team would be more fired up after Boychuk went down.

Really hard to generalize in cases like this, but as Brickley alluded to last night, it's really hard to get fired up again after a delay on an injury to a teammate. I was actually surprised that the B's played as well as they did in the 1st and 3rd. After JB went down, I said to myself, there's the game.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
Really hard to generalize in cases like this, but as Brickley alluded to last night, it's really hard to get fired up again after a delay on an injury to a teammate. I was actually surprised that the B's played as well as they did in the 1st and 3rd. After JB went down, I said to myself, there's the game.

I agree. I had trouble getting into the game after that and I don't know him personally. Yes it's easy to say they need to not think about it and get back into the game but when you see your friend carried out on a stretcher how can you not think about it.

I had a co-worker get taken out on a stretcher before. was very scary and let me tell you none of us in the office could focus after that for the rest of the day and that is working a desk job.

not worried about the loss in the least.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011

meh, the game shifted down a few notches after the hit but by the 2nd and after the B's scored it got wratched back up to normal fast paced these 2 teams play when facing eachother.

Took the energy out for remainder of 1st and some of 2nd but at the end it was par for the course.

Good teams overcome, we didn't.

Bottom line, this was a game we should have won/capitalized and didn't. I am not overly concerned but now we have Pens/Leafs... was hoping for 4 points out of possible 6, going to hope for 3 I guess.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Dougie Hamilton isn't that far off from being the best defenseman on this team IMO. He's a better partner for Chara than Boychuk is. He still makes the odd bad read, but overall he's taken it to another level.

8 of 12 forwards went the whole game without recording a single hit on the stat sheet. Soft game. Noticed there wasn't as much traffic in front of Price either. He saw almost everything. Not what I expected in an important game against a hated team.

This top-9 isn't scoring goals. Is Lucic the only forward on pace for 20 goals? Krug and Chara are #3 and #4 on the team in goals scored. That's sad. Even sadder when you look at the money tied up in that group.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Well one thing was confirmed last night: Zdeno Chara did not permanently maim Max Pacioretty with that hit as so many Habs fans would like us to believe.

It was definitely boarding, no doubt about it.

I just hope to God that Johnny Rocket's injury isn't as serious as it looked last night. I take it as a good sign he was able to fly back to Boston with the team.

Oh and I hate the Habs with the intensity of 10,000 exploding suns :rant::rant:

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
People aren't posting that...I was posting that, and me alone ;)

And if you see my next post you would have seen I was kidding, the one in which I said the Bruins are definitely a better team than the habs. I know that, you guys know that, most hab fans know that (apart from those delusional ones), but the habs just seem to get the best of the Bruins, I don't know why that is.
Not in the past 25 years.

howaryuh

Mar 28, 2004
Guelph, Ontario
Disappointed but not disheartened or surprised, given the layoff from the B's.
First line is of concern though, just not seeing the tenacity on a consistent basis.
Hope Boychuk gets back in the line up soon.

PricePkPatch*

Man, your team was tough last night 0_0 I was on the edge of my seat and I skipped a beat a few times thinking you tied it up.

It's pretty obvious who you have been constantly at the top of the conference.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Should we all call the Montreal police about the assault that happen last night

I would guess that the majority of Bruins fans saw that as a 2-minute boarding penalty with unfortunate consequences, and that in hockey, **** happens.

I hope Johnny's OK.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I would guess that the majority of Bruins fans saw that as a 2-minute boarding penalty with unfortunate consequences, and that in hockey, **** happens.

I hope Johnny's OK.

thats all it was.
im not a homer Bruins fan, but i do know that if Looch laid out that same hit, in mtl, it wouldve definitely been a 5 minute major.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Dougie Hamilton isn't that far off from being the best defenseman on this team IMO. He's a better partner for Chara than Boychuk is. He still makes the odd bad read, but overall he's taken it to another level.

8 of 12 forwards went the whole game without recording a single hit on the stat sheet. Soft game. Noticed there wasn't as much traffic in front of Price either. He saw almost everything. Not what I expected in an important game against a hated team.

This top-9 isn't scoring goals. Is Lucic the only forward on pace for 20 goals? Krug and Chara are #3 and #4 on the team in goals scored. That's sad. Even sadder when you look at the money tied up in that group.

The system we play isn't designed to score goals. It is designed to prevent them. Defense wins championships. Though I would like to see this team open it up for a few games to get some energy on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad