Pre-Game Talk: GM 2: Vancouver Canucks vs. San Jose Sharks - May 3 - 7:00PM PST - TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruiner

Feb 20, 2013
Still puzzles me how the Canucks can put up an effort like they did vs. Chicago and not 10 days later in a bigger game they drop an egg like that.

Time to step it up, boys. It's now or never.

I guess because the Sharks are below them in the standings, by 1 win, they figure they don't need to show up. You would think they would have learned after the LA series last year.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I guess because the Sharks are below them in the standings, by 1 win, they figure they don't need to show up. You would think they would have learned after the LA series last year.

I don't think it was that, it had something to do with execution. Our team as a whole looked entirely out of sync.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

No, we just didn't play good enough. The excuse of not playing well enough just because a team placed lower in the standings is not even a legit excuse. We just weren't good enough.

ruiner

Feb 20, 2013
There was a lack of intensity there too other than in the 2nd. They were hitting in the 1st but not really putting in as much effort as I would have hoped.

They came out flying against the Hawks, just like they should have at home in the playoffs. How else do you explain the phenomenon of them only showing up for a period most of the time and only putting in a full 60 against the teams they really respect?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
We have the players to win, we just need some god damn coaching to go with it..

I have no clue what these "coaches" say to this team, tie your shoes? Win in spite of these ****ers

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Wish the Canucks had the heart and complete level of the Blues.
The difference is simple. The Blues leaders are heart-and-soul, blood on the sweater types like Backes, Stewart, Pietrangelo, McDonald. Our leaders are skill players (Twins) and mouthpieces (Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa). Hockey players follow their leaders. It's like any business, any workplace: you see how your leader acts, and you fall into place accordingly.

That is not to bemoan any of our guys, or their playing style; hell, I'll take skill over work ethic nine times out of ten. It's just, don't expect jumping around or reckless abandon. Our leaders aren't those kind of players.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
The Blues' scoring is as anaemic as ours, and that's even when they play well. Stop trying to force this team into a mold we obviously don't fit. We need to play our game, and actually put some pressure in the offensive zone. Playing physical is great, but hockey games aren't decided by the number of hits your team has.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Still puzzles me how the Canucks can put up an effort like they did vs. Chicago and not 10 days later in a bigger game they drop an egg like that.

Time to step it up, boys. It's now or never.

Chicago plays a style that the Canucks like to play against. SJ played more like how LA and STL played us, cutting off the middle of the ice and outnumbering Vancouver all over the ice.

Henrik To Daniel

Jun 16, 2012
Burnaby
Keys to this game:

- Keep things simple.
- Don't get cute with the puck. It's not preseason.
- Short passes, get the puck off the stick and on the opposing net. No need to try stretch passes because no one on this team has the ability to do so.
- Make Niemi work for the puck. Being too passive will let him read the play much easier.
- Throw everything on net and get traffic up front and bury some dirty rebounds.
- Try and shoot glove side on Niemi. He is almost unbeatable on the bottom half of the net. Because of his awkward style, it leaves the top half wide open at times.
- Play Canucks hockey, not Bruins hockey. This is a skilled team that CAN burn other teams on the scoreboard. Let the Sharks go for the big hits and put them out of position. They'll take bad penalties and then you make them pay on the powerplay.
- Our big guys like Kassian, Hansen, fourth line, etc need to crash the net. Don't take perimeter shots. Take the puck to the net and go from there. Leave the cycling to the guys that are good at it.

My line combos:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Higgins - Kesler - Burrows
Raymond - Roy - Kassian
Sestito - Lapierre - Weise

- Sedins and Burrows are ice cold right now. Hansen has been playing well recently and can maybe get the Sedins going again.
- Reunite Kesler and Burrows and throw Higgins with them to form a checking line. They have chemistry together so I think they will be able to generate offense as well.
- Roy is a fixture on the third line. We can't load up the top 2 lines due to the Sharks depth at center, so we have to fight fire with fire. Raymond is struggling right now, but perhaps playing with a guy like Kassian will open up some space for him.
- Fourth line remains intact. Weise had a good game. Just needs to keep up the hitting, get pucks in deep, and don't get scored on.

If the Canucks do these things they will win tomorrow.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Who do we have to sacrifice to the hockey gods for a PP goal tomorrow?

Between the Bruins, Kings and Sharks, the Canucks are now 5 for their last 56 on the PP in the playoffs. Just atrocious.

I doubt anyone has thought of this before, but how about they put Garrison on the first unit PP? Or hell, maybe try splitting up the sedins.

It seems like we may as well not even have a special teams coach, god forbid Newell Brown make any adjustments.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't think it was that, it had something to do with execution. Our team as a whole looked entirely out of sync.
I don't think it's that either. Personally I think we just have awful nerves. There was no pressure in the Chicago game.

This team definitely has the tendency to be very mentally weak, shakeable, and nervous for the most part.

Sometimes they're able to fight through it, but I definitely think it's a major factor/weakness that comes and goes for this team.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Keys to this game:

- Keep things simple.
- Don't get cute with the puck. It's not preseason.
- Short passes, get the puck off the stick and on the opposing net. No need to try stretch passes because no one on this team has the ability to do so.
- Make Niemi work for the puck. Being too passive will let him read the play much easier.
- Throw everything on net and get traffic up front and bury some dirty rebounds.
- Try and shoot glove side on Niemi. He is almost unbeatable on the bottom half of the net. Because of his awkward style, it leaves the top half wide open at times.
- Play Canucks hockey, not Bruins hockey. This is a skilled team that CAN burn other teams on the scoreboard. Let the Sharks go for the big hits and put them out of position. They'll take bad penalties and then you make them pay on the powerplay.
- Our big guys like Kassian, Hansen, fourth line, etc need to crash the net. Don't take perimeter shots. Take the puck to the net and go from there. Leave the cycling to the guys that are good at it.

My line combos:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Higgins - Kesler - Burrows
Raymond - Roy - Kassian
Sestito - Lapierre - Weise

- Sedins and Burrows are ice cold right now. Hansen has been playing well recently and can maybe get the Sedins going again.
- Reunite Kesler and Burrows and throw Higgins with them to form a checking line. They have chemistry together so I think they will be able to generate offense as well.
- Roy is a fixture on the third line. We can't load up the top 2 lines due to the Sharks depth at center, so we have to fight fire with fire. Raymond is struggling right now, but perhaps playing with a guy like Kassian will open up some space for him.
- Fourth line remains intact. Weise had a good game. Just needs to keep up the hitting, get pucks in deep, and don't get scored on.

If the Canucks do these things they will win tomorrow.

I agree with your analysis, but disagree with your line combos. If we try to spread out our offense, we will be outmatched by the Sharks. If we load up the top-2 lines, then that will either give us the advantage in our top-6, or if they try to counter by stacking their own top-6, it will leave their bottom-6 very weak compared to ours.

If we can have a Sedin-Sedin-Burrows and Higgins-Kesler-Roy line generating offense against the Sharks Thornton/Couture lines, then I think a Raymond-Lapierre-Hansen line coupled with our defense/goaltending should be more than enough to prevent the Pavelski line from scoring, even if they do struggle to find offense themselves.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It sounds cliche but the grinding style of the playoffs doesn't suit Raymond's game at all.

It's why Penner is a 4th liner in the regular season but a bonafide top 6 threat in the playoffs - boardwork and an increased reliance on his body and not speed.

I'd rather Raymond be the 4th line C. I think he can drive the puck better than Ebbett and both are terrible on faceoffs.

Raymond also isn't that defensively aware as a winger since his injury IMO. The Boyle goal yesterday and the terrible advanced stats the season before being proof.
Last season as in when he was still just coming off the injured back?

I only buy that argument if he had horrible advanced stats this year as well, which I don't think he did.

Henrik To Daniel

Jun 16, 2012
Burnaby
I agree with your analysis, but disagree with your line combos. If we try to spread out our offense, we will be outmatched by the Sharks. If we load up the top-2 lines, then that will either give us the advantage in our top-6, or if they try to counter by stacking their own top-6, it will leave their bottom-6 very weak compared to ours.

If we can have a Sedin-Sedin-Burrows and Higgins-Kesler-Roy line generating offense against the Sharks Thornton/Couture lines, then I think a Raymond-Lapierre-Hansen line coupled with our defense/goaltending should be more than enough to prevent the Pavelski line from scoring, even if they do struggle to find offense themselves.

This would mean that Ebbett would have to play C on the fourth line which I don't want. Lapierre is the best fit there because at least he throws some hits.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012

I agree with this completely. Considering how badly the Canucks struggled to generate any offence last game, you may as well play your offensively skilled players together.

Henrik To Daniel

Jun 16, 2012
Burnaby
Now that I think about it, having Ebbett in the line up would mean that that's an extra center to have which is nice considering how good the Sharks are at faceoffs

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
This would mean that Ebbett would have to play C on the fourth line which I don't want. Lapierre is the best fit there because at least he throws some hits.

I think this would be a good opportunity to see if Schroeder is ready(would slot in as 3C) or maybe give Lain a shot. Maybe even Gaunce, depending on how they do in practice.

Even still, Ebbett as a 4C isn't the end of the world, and hopefully it will just be a temporary measure.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
I think this would be a good opportunity to see if Schroeder is ready(would slot in as 3C) or maybe give Lain a shot. Maybe even Gaunce, depending on how they do in practice.

Pavelski would eat Schroeder alive. The only realistic option is to move up Lapierre, and hope he rises to the challenge.

Operating under the assumption that Schroeder is injured, I would prefer to see either Lain or Gaunce be given the opportunity instead of Ebbett.

Realistically though, we all know this will never happen. Hell will freeze over before AV benches Ebbett and replaces him with a young guy playing his first NHL playoff game.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Pavelski would eat Schroeder alive. The only realistic option is to move up Lapierre, and hope he rises to the challenge.

Operating under the assumption that Schroeder is injured, I would prefer to see either Lain or Gaunce be given the opportunity instead of Ebbett.

Realistically though, we all know this will never happen. Hell will freeze over before AV benches Ebbett and replaces him with a young guy playing his first NHL playoff game.

I could see it either way. If we do use Schroeder, then the speed advantage that line would have would be very large. Pavelski is a fairly slow skater. They could generate a lot of odd-man rushes if the bounces go their way. Of course, it might also lead to a greater risk they get scored on. But The Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen line has been proven to be effective offensively in the past, if we need to ramp up the pressure on Niemi, it might not be a bad idea.

Although I agree that the odds that anyone besides Schroeder beats out Ebbett for a roster spot is slim to none.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
The Blues' scoring is as anaemic as ours, and that's even when they play well. Stop trying to force this team into a mold we obviously don't fit. We need to play our game, and actually put some pressure in the offensive zone. Playing physical is great, but hockey games aren't decided by the number of hits your team has.

Don't think heart and work ethic means physical hockey necessarily. I admire the relentless of the Blues and the work ethic of teams like the Blue Jackets. Doesn't mean I want the Canucks to play a physical brand of hockey though. We've all seen that isn't our game.

I think Chicago has heart and never quits when they are down. I would love to see more of that from the Canucks. Canucks have shown time and time again that they DO quit. Definitely a mental problem with the team. And they certainly don't show up for 60 minutes either. 20 at most this season. Frustrating to see and really inexcusable at this level.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Man, still remember when people thought the practice lines before Game 1 were just meant to throw the Sharks off by throwing them in the mixer. I believed it too. I mean, splitting up Higgins and Roy? C'mon. But it turns out - AV was actually going full Pejorative Slur. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad