Pre-Game Talk: GM 2: Vancouver Canucks vs. San Jose Sharks - May 3 - 7:00PM PST - TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

GO CANUCKS GO!
RE_2011_05_25T050910Z_01_VAN35_RTRMDNP_3_NHL.jpg

large.png
vs.
large.png

Sharks lead Series 1-0

WHEN: Friday, May 3rd, 7:00PM PST
WHERE: Rogers Arena, Vancouver B.C.
travel_rogers_arena_288.jpg

Rogers Arena, Vancouver, B.C.
TV: TSN
RADIO: TEAM1040 (Vancouver)

Vancouver Canucks' Starting Lineup:
D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - Roy - Hansen
Ebbett - Lapierre - Weise

Hamhuis - Garrison
Edler - Bieksa
Alberts - Corrado

Luongo

San Jose Sharks' Starting Lineup:
Galiardi - Thornton - Burns
Marleau - Couture - Havlat
Torres - Pavelski - Wingels
Desjardins - Gomez - Burish

Irwin - Boyle
Vlasic - Braun
Stuart - Hannan

Niemi

Game Notes:
- Vancouver G Cory Schneider remains day-to-day with an undisclosed injury.
- Vancouver D Chris Tanev remains day-to-day with an undisclosed injury.​

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
home record for san jose this regular season: 17-2-5, good for 1st in the league

away record for san jose this regular season: 8-14-2, worst among all playoff teams

canucks losing game 2 would mean they'd have to win 4 of the following 5 games, with 3 of those in san jose...so yeah, captain obvious says it's a must win for sure

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Last night's game was the norm for this team this season and not an anomally.

Atleast show some pride and try and fight back.

Show up Friday or hit the links by Thursday.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Few random thoughts:

- Probably just confirmation bias on my part, but I swear no matter what series it is (or "big game" in a series), the Canucks are always on the wrong end of the momentum early. They're either "weathering the storm" of the visiting team, or "weathering the storm" of being the visiting team. This season especially, the first ten minutes of the game were altogether predictable.

- Luongo was sharp early. Would have been nice for him to stop that third goal, but the team had basically stopped generating offense by the time it was 2-1, so it wasn't determinative

- AV swapping the lines again for the first game of the playoffs paid some dividends, as most of the lines had good games -- with the exception of the first line, which was abysmal. But Weise moving to the Kesler line in the third period was all kinds of dumb.

- Garrison and Hamhuis were way underplayed. AV looks like he's managing icetime for a long run, but he might want to make sure it's not another 5-gamer first. Corrado and Alberts acquitted themselves well, but why is Corrado within 4 ES minutes of Hamhuis? Play your best players FFS.

- Canucks special teams were bad again. First PK was atrocious, and the breakdown in coverage that led to the 1-1 goal was obvious about 5 seconds before it happened. Special teams continue to be the team's biggest weakness.

- Raymond just gonna Raymond. Solid neutral zone game (even if he bails on hits at center and dumps the puck in a lot with nobody to retrieve it), but at least 3-4 times he had the puck in a dangerous area, faked a wristshot, and curled back to the offensive blue-line to lose possession. I can't wait to see this guy go. Decent player, but not smart enough to take it to the next level.

- Nice to see the team play physically, but they did it at the cost of smart zone entries. It's one thing for the 4th line to dump the puck in and go rattle Vlasic, but seemingly every line was playing dump-and-chase hockey. You just don't generate the same puck possession doing that.

- All in all and AV special for a playoff game. Aim for a low-event ES game, don't push the pace, and start playing a different strategy than you played most of the year (dump and chase). I'll never understand it.

Edit: Also, can we get rid of the "delayed wristshot" everyone on the team uses now? Shoot the puck already. Daniel got the puck wide open in front of the net and waited for Niemi to get set and a defender to show up before he shot. You can't let a goalie get set before you shoot. Crazy.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Areas that we NEED to be better:

1) Bear down on the chances.
2) Puck Movement.
3) Defence.
4) Faceoff.
5) SPECIAL TEAMS

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
tbh I want Raymond nowhere near this team unless Schroeder is playing, he is completly useless

Sedins also have to learn to just shoot the ****ing puck. I remember both Henrik and Daniel getting golden opportunities, and then they tried to outwait the opposition and make the extra move instead of just firing it. Really frustrating to watch

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Can't believe how badly we got smoked on faceoffs in Game 1. Not one of our four centers was above 50%.

Henrik - 11/24 (46%)
Kesler - 12/25 (48%)
Roy - 5/13 (38%)
Lapierre - 1/6 (17%)

Vomit-worthy.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Wish they would just stack the 2nd line and use Lappy as a 3C. All out attack.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Can't believe how badly we got smoked on faceoffs in Game 1. Not one of our four centers was above 50%.

Henrik - 11/24 (46%)
Kesler - 12/25 (48%)
Roy - 5/13 (38%)
Lapierre - 1/6 (17%)

Vomit-worthy.

Sharks are one of the best faceoff teams in the league IIRC

going to be tough to get constant pressure when we are constantly chasing the puck

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Thornton's line looked pretty weak outside of some nice rushes by Burns, if we stack out second line we might be able to take advantage of a potential mismatch. Although it does risk us losing the battle of the third lines, which I thought we won last night

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Is it confirmed that Kesler had the flu? Well, I sure as hell hope it is just that and that he is not injured. If that is the case, hopefully he recovers and it doesn't spread to the rest of the team.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Unfortunately the highlight of the night for me ended up being Corrado's "hit" on Torres.

Damn that was funny.

Welcome to the NHL kid. :laugh:

...anyone got a good pic of that?

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Wish they would just stack the 2nd line and use Lappy as a 3C. All out attack.

If AV is adamant about keeping Roy with hansen and raymond then we might as well just throw lappy on as the 3rd c because that 3rd line does not work. Roy needs higgins. I wonder if schroeder is injured. Schroeder might get Raymond going. I remember our team playing like complete garbage during the season. AV had demoted Schroeder down to the farm at that time and then we were playing really badly so he finally brought schroeder up and the team started playing better again. Raymond has been invisible without Schroeder.

Let's Go Canucks! Win this damn game! Oh, and ffs, put Garrison on the first power play unit and set him up for one-timers. Is that so hard for you to do Sedins? Load him up!

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
I just noticed the sharks never lost a series where they won game 1 IN REGULATION the last 5 years.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
Agree mostly, but disagree with the points below.

Few random thoughts:

- Probably just confirmation bias on my part, but I swear no matter what series it is (or "big game" in a series), the Canucks are always on the wrong end of the momentum early. They're either "weathering the storm" of the visiting team, or "weathering the storm" of being the visiting team. This season especially, the first ten minutes of the game were altogether predictable.

Last playoffs, we had the early momentum with a couple huge Booth hits. This one, I thought things were pretty even till Weise took that stupid penalty and put SJ on the powerplay.

AV swapping the lines again for the first game of the playoffs paid some dividends, as most of the lines had good games -- with the exception of the first line, which was abysmal. But Weise moving to the Kesler line in the third period was all kinds of dumb.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not...none of our lines had any pressure. Go back to loading up the second line please or at least put Roy and Higgins together.

All in all and AV special for a playoff game. Aim for a low-event ES game, don't push the pace, and start playing a different strategy than you played most of the year (dump and chase). I'll never understand it.

Agreed completely. Just don't get this guy.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Last playoffs, we had the early momentum with a couple huge Booth hits. This one, I thought things were pretty even till Weise took that stupid penalty and put SJ on the powerplay.

Maybe I blanked that series out of my mind. I remember the team coming out and throwing some hits (like they did last night), but did they dominate in shots or anything like that? As I said, it might just be confirmation bias. It just seems like whether the Canucks are up in a series, down in a series, at home, or on the road, you hear someone talk about the Canucks having to "weather the inevitable storm", and rarely the inverse.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not...none of our lines had any pressure. Go back to loading up the second line please or at least put Roy and Higgins together.

No, but every line out-shot the opposition at even strength with the exception of the first line. As I said, AV special. Low-event hockey. Seems stupid when you have the blueline advantage, but we should be used to it by now.

Last edited:

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
If the Canucks lose this game, it's done.

If we don't see a desperate team with tons of energy tomorrow night...then this core is broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad