Pre-Game Talk: GM 2: Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers - Oct 11 - 7:00PM PST - CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
When Horvat returns, what does everyone think of this lineup?

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Vrbata
Bonino - Vey - Kassian
Higgins - Horvat - Burrows
Dorsett - Matthias - Hansen

You know, it occurs to me this lineup isn't so different from the Ducks forward lineup last year, the major difference being that Getzlaf and Perry are stars in their prime, while the Sedins are declining stars. They had a jumbled bottom 9 as well though and made it work. Hopefully the Canucks can make it work as well, if anything just to make the playoffs again.

I've seen a few comments about how Horvat is going to jump into the lineup and help this team, especially on faceoffs, and I'm not sure that's going to happen this year.

Horvat could still be sent down after 9 games... and this injury conveniently keeps him with the team a little longer before that decision needs to be made.

And I think some fans are going to be very disappointed with his faceoff impact with this team even if he sticks past 9 games. We're talking about a 19 YO rookie centre in the NHL. They pretty much ALL suck at faceoffs when they first come into the league.... Crosby, Getzlaf, Koivu, Stamkos, Kopitar, Malkin, Backstrom, Johansen, Schenn, Couturier, Tavares, O'Reilly, Duchene ... just from last season - Mohanan, Bjugstad, Barkov, MacKinnon, etc... rookie centers are pretty much always poor on draws.

They are probably only about 10 rookie centers in the past 10 years that have finished at least at 50% on draws while taking at least 200 draws through the year (ie. at least a regular 4th liner)... it's highly unlikely that Horvat is going to be come in and be an impact faceoff center as a rookie for this team.

With Bonino, Vey and Matthais all taking draws at times for this team, we're going to be among the worst in the league on faceoffs, with or without Horvat.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I've seen a few comments about how Horvat is going to jump into the lineup and help this team, especially on faceoffs, and I'm not sure that's going to happen this year.

Horvat could still be sent down after 9 games... and this injury conveniently keeps him with the team a little longer before that decision needs to be made.

And I think some fans are going to be very disappointed with his faceoff impact with this team even if he sticks past 9 games. We're talking about a 19 YO rookie centre in the NHL. They pretty much ALL suck at faceoffs when they first come into the league.... Crosby, Getzlaf, Koivu, Stamkos, Kopitar, Malkin, Backstrom, Johansen, Schenn, Couturier, Tavares, O'Reilly, Duchene ... just from last season - Mohanan, Bjugstad, Barkov, MacKinnon, etc... rookie centers are pretty much always poor on draws.

They are probably only about 10 rookie centers in the past 10 years that have finished at least at 50% on draws while taking at least 200 draws through the year (ie. at least a regular 4th liner)... it's highly unlikely that Horvat is going to be come in and be an impact faceoff center as a rookie for this team.

With Bonino, Vey and Matthais all taking draws at times for this team, we're going to be among the worst in the league on faceoffs, with or without Horvat.

I agree with you, but it would appear Horvat will be in the lineup regardless so I think that's the best spot for him.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
BEWARE THE SWARM.

SWARM PP:

By_SzH4CYAAhIWM.jpg

SWARM PK:

2wgdwmd.jpg

Key part about the system of the Swarm is to make sure to front of your net is clear of defenders..

2z7kjm8.jpg

A disturbing system by a disturbing coach.

WhoseLainesItAnyway

Sep 20, 2014

A fair comparison would be a rookie center who was already elite at faceoffs in junior like Horvat. I'm not sure how many of your examples would fit that criteria.

The reason why most rookie centers suck at faceoffs is because they lack strength but the wider hashmarks should help by lessening the physical battle involved and most already think Bo can hold his own physically. He doesn't have to be great to help the team. He just has to be close to 50% which a few rookies seem to be able to do every year.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
A fair comparison would be a rookie center who was already elite at faceoffs in junior like Horvat. I'm not sure how many of your examples would fit that criteria.

The reason why most rookie centers suck at faceoffs is because they lack strength but the wider hashmarks should help by lessening the physical battle involved and most already think Bo can hold his own physically. He doesn't have to be great to help the team. He just has to be close to 50% which a few rookies seem to be able to do every year.

Put simply, if the last few games are any indication of our faceoff strength - or lack thereof. Horvat couldn't do any worse.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Problem is when Taylor Hall isn't playing for Dallas Eakins he's a very effective two-way player.

That's simply not really true. From day one he's been a disaster when it comes to puck protection. He's not a smart player. They may have been learning something under Kruger which is why that firing was a mistake but none of this kids have ever been good on the defensive side of things.

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
what about Sestito gents.

will he make his way back into the lineup?

He will, once there are a couple of forward injuries in the bottom six, or a couple of starting forwards are injured in a short time frame and there is not enough time to call someone up.

Iridescent*

Horvat was 80 percent on the faceoff in preseason.

were gonna be just fine from whatever u think burrows is doing

horvat hasnt played an ahl game yet he looked better than jensen in game 1 against edmonton. Horvat is our top prospe t and arguably alrdy our 2c

Bonino has been outplayed by richardson in every facet so horvat is most likely gonna take kesles role with nino centering a solid 3rd of burr and higgy

sedins vrbata
vey horvat kassian
burross neener higgins
matthias richardson dorsett
hansen

the 2nd line embodies everything the team is missing.

speed. Skill. Size 2/3. Excitement to play the game. Energy. Brotherhood.

team needs a kid line and its pathetic we think burrows is gon a contain perry getzlaf kesler or hertl thronto marleau

let horvat and kassian work on their 2 way game while vey steals the puck more than our entire team last year.

Keep higgins and burrows away from the 2nd

Holy crap...

Numbers

Sep 26, 2011

I'm curious do you know the rules about the 9 game tryout for CHL players? If you are on IR do those games count against? How about if you are on the roster but not playing in the press box?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I'm curious do you know the rules about the 9 game tryout for CHL players? If you are on IR do those games count against? How about if you are on the roster but not playing in the press box?

The 9 game rule means that the player plays in 9 games. If they sit in the press box or are on the IR during games, they do not count towards the 9 games (neither do conditioning stint games).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad