GDT: Gm 18: Columbus Blue Jackets @ Boston Bruins|11/14/13|7P ET|NESN(HD), NHLN-US|98.5 FM

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Quick thoughts:

Looch is playing at an extremely high level right now, and the fact that he has 8 goals is only part of it. Team MVP to this point, IMO.

It's amazing how much more the third line is giving us this year.

Marchand struggled.

The d-core, as a whole, struggled with the puck on their sticks, though I thought Bart had one of his better games, if not his best game of the season.

The Bs are right where they need to be at this point in the season: squarely in the playoff race and rounding into form.

Not trying to sound like an excuse maker but watching on TV I noticed both teams having real issues with the puck. It 'appeared' as though the ice has seen better days at the TD?? Looks real choppy based solely on how many times that puck when being passed rarely arrived to the recipient of the pass cleanly?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
My wife said the same thing last night, watching the replay of his GWG. His skating has improved so, so much since his first year up here. He has been a force all year.

I think Looch was a touch embarrassed at how he played last year outside of the playoffs. If I`m not mistaken, alot of changes at the Lucic household with father hood, which I get some here would never accept as an excuse but....

truth is this, he arrived at camp nowhere near the conditioning he should have been and it showed

Not the case this season, clearly he busted his behind all summer, and I have to think that if he continues to show this kind of game, big ice surface or not, his name will be in the conversation for an Olympic spot

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I've been hard on Johnson but he saved our bacon tonight. Terrible 3rd period and OT up until Lucic's goal, take the win and run.

Johnson steals us 2 points great 3rd period by him

Ditto, I've been hard on the guy.. but this game he was fantastic. Could have easily been 5-2. Hopefuly this gives him and CJ some confidence to take a bit of the burden off Rask.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
Not trying to sound like an excuse maker but watching on TV I noticed both teams having real issues with the puck. It 'appeared' as though the ice has seen better days at the TD?? Looks real choppy based solely on how many times that puck when being passed rarely arrived to the recipient of the pass cleanly?

That certainly could have been part of it. I did think some of it was decision making though, on part of the defense that is. I think it was a combination. Either way, not their sharpest performance on the whole.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
That certainly could have been part of it. I did think some of it was decision making though, on part of the defense that is. I think it was a combination. Either way, not their sharpest performance on the whole.

I`ve seen them play better, but I also see a Jacket`s team who play a very solid system game, and they play a real heavy game, which isn`t surprising seeing the Conference they played in up to this season.

Their record isn`t anywhere indicative of their potential, plenty of solid pieces on that team

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Hard on him?? Why? .917 save percentage
Maybe shouldn't have been, but I guess I didn't have confidence because I interpreted his not playing more to CJ not having confidence. Or maybe because we've been spoiled the last few years in the position.
Either way... awesome game. I'm sold.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
I`ve seen them play better, but I also see a Jacket`s team who play a very solid system game, and they play a real heavy game, which isn`t surprising seeing the Conference they played in up to this season.

Their record isn`t anywhere indicative of their potential, plenty of solid pieces on that team

Yeah, I think the Jackets will find a little more of a stride as the season goes on. They don't have Horton yet, and unfortunately for them, Gaborik and Bob aren't playing anywhere close to their potentials. But I guess I do wonder about those players a little. Gaborik is streaky year-to-year, and Bob has had one great season in the league, otherwise he has been a decent goalie. Horton will make a difference, but we all know how streaky he can be. It will be interesting to see how they do the rest of the way. To your point, they do play hard and heavy, and if some guys start coming around, they could contend for a playoff spot.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Quick thoughts:

Looch is playing at an extremely high level right now, and the fact that he has 8 goals is only part of it. Team MVP to this point, IMO.

It's amazing how much more the third line is giving us this year.

Marchand struggled.

The d-core, as a whole, struggled with the puck on their sticks, though I thought Bart had one of his better games, if not his best game of the season.

The Bs are right where they need to be at this point in the season: squarely in the playoff race and rounding into form.

I agree, Looch has been amazing, but I think Rask has been our MVP at this point. He has shown up at times when the rest of the team decided to go and have a walk in the park.
I think the B's are always kinda rusty after a few days off, and it showed a bit last night. I thought Johnson played very well, aside for the meh second goal. Definitely on the right path though.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I agree, Looch has been amazing, but I think Rask has been our MVP at this point. He has shown up at times when the rest of the team decided to go and have a walk in the park.
I think the B's are always kinda rusty after a few days off, and it showed a bit last night. I thought Johnson played very well, aside for the meh second goal. Definitely on the right path though.

What I like besides Looch's much improved skating is his leadership. We have really noticed it on the bench. :yo:

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
No, no, no! He stinks! :rant:

Love it when the two whipping boys score. :laugh:

Broken clock is right twice a day.

Because a wobbly shot got through a crowd and tipped in, doesn't mean he is playing well.. just put a puck on the net.

He has been atrocious this year.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital

Rask would be another good choice. I think that both him and Looch have been exceptional this year.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Some admit they have been "hard" on Johnson...interesting.

Was it because Johnson's small but pretty good NHL body of work similar to Anton Khudobin's when he was acquired in 2011 was trumped by a few rough patches of individual and team play?

Perhaps the shiny new toy syndrome of wanting Niklas Svedberg up with the team even though playing 3 times since Oct. 3 would be a waste of his time (and precious cap space)?

Because sometimes in our zeal we tend to over analyze and make perfection the enemy of good enough?

Johnson had an inauspicious start vs. Montreal, true. In a preseason game, mind you. But he also blanked Detroit in his next start. My question all along has been- why spend so much time & energy on a backup making close to the league minimum when you have a stud in Tuukka Rask? Who was Martin Brodeur's backup in New Jersey when he was winning his string of Vezina Trophies in the late 90's/early 2000s? Anyone? Didn't really matter- the Devils did just fine because they needed a G who was "good enough" while Brodeur carried the team with his elite-caliber play, and fears of him getting "burned out" by the 70+ games of action each year proved unfounded. You obviously want a good backup in place to spell your No. 1 and win you games, but Brodeur is one case where if you have a thoroughbred between the pipes who's capable of handling the bulk of starts plus playoffs, backup is one area you can assume some risk with.

Here's hoping those who were so sure Johnson needed to go after a tiny sample size take the lesson to heart a little bit and lay off the panic button next time.

Johnson was brought in at a low cap hit as a low-risk/low-reward signing to off-set the cap situation and to allow Svedberg to develop a little more without twiddling his thumbs and spending much of his time opening the door to the bench for his Boston teammates. For those unaware- Khudobin was not an option for Boston; he gave Carolina an opportunity discount he wasn't willing to extend the Bruins, so there is irony that when such an opportunity presents itself with Cam Ward injured (again), so too, is AK (just as he was when Rask went down late in 2011-12 & Marty Turco was signed) and at last report, Ward's return timeline is ahead of Khudobin's. Teams want and need their backups to be healthy and available when they need them. Tough luck for AK, I suppose.

As for Svedberg in Boston sure, there is something to be said about the benefits he would get practicing with the team, but the club saved $400k and were in a position to bring him up if Johnson proved woefully inadequate for the task. In the meantime, he's playing a lot more in Providence and providing the B's with an option if they need him or decide to make a change later on.

Now, if anything God forbid were to happen to Rask, that's a potential game-changer in terms of how the Bruins would use Svedberg going forward. But for now, the arrangement works just fine. Svedberg's time will come, but for now, he's where he needs to be and nothing I've seen from Johnson leads me to believe he's ill-suited for the job and rare playing time that goes with backing up an NHL workhorse and superstar.

Last edited:

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006

Was it because Johnson's small but pretty good NHL body of work similar to Anton Khudobin's when he was acquired in 2011 was trumped by a few rough patches of individual and team play?

Perhaps the shiny new toy syndrome of wanting Niklas Svedberg up with the team even though playing 3 times since Oct. 3 would be a waste of his time (and precious cap space)?

Because sometimes in our zeal we tend to over analyze and make perfection the enemy of good enough?

Johnson had an inauspicious start vs. Montreal, true. In a preseason game, mind you. But he also blanked Detroit in his next start. My question all along has been- why spend so much time & energy on a backup making close to the league minimum when you have a stud in Tuukka Rask? Who was Martin Brodeur's backup in New Jersey when he was winning his string of Vezina Trophies in the late 90's/early 2000s? Anyone? Didn't really matter- the Devils did just fine because they needed a G who was "good enough" while Brodeur carried the team with his elite-caliber play.

Here's hoping those who were so sure Johnson needed to go after a tiny sample size take the lesson to heart a little bit and lay off the panic button next time.

Johnson was brought in at a low cap hit as a low-risk/low-reward signing to off-set the cap situation and to allow Svedberg to develop a little more without twiddling his thumbs and spending much of his time opening the door to the bench for his Boston teammates. For those unaware- Khudobin was not an option for Boston; he gave Carolina an opportunity discount he wasn't willing to extend the Bruins, so there is irony that when such an opportunity presents itself with Cam Ward injured (again), so too, is AK (just as he was when Rask went down late in 2011-12 & Marty Turco was signed) and at last report, Ward's return timeline is ahead of Khudobin's. Teams want and need their backups to be healthy and available when they need them. Tough luck for AK, I suppose.

As for Svedberg in Boston sure, there is something to be said about the benefits he would get practicing with the team, but the club saved $400k and were in a position to bring him up if Johnson proved woefully inadequate for the task. In the meantime, he's playing a lot more in Providence and providing the B's with an option if they need him or decide to make a change later on.

Now, if anything God forbid were to happen to Rask, that's a potential game-changer in terms of how the Bruins would use Svedberg going forward. But for now, the arrangement works just fine. Svedberg's time will come, but for now, he's where he needs to be and nothing I've seen from Johnson leads me to believe he's ill-suited for the job and rare playing time that goes with backing up an NHL workhorse and superstar.

If anything happens to Rask, who their backup is isn't going to make a bit of difference anyway. Totally agree on this, Johnson has what, 3 starts in 18 games, 1 out of 6. So he'll probably start generously 15 games this year? On a team with a strong defensive system that's likely to make the playoffs even if he tanks those 15? Much ado about nothing.

If I'm going to be guilty of shiny new toy syndrome, it's not going to be for a backup goalie playing behind a Vezina candidate.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Johnson had an inauspicious start vs. Montreal, true. In a preseason game, mind you. But he also blanked Detroit in his next start. My question all along has been- why spend so much time & energy on a backup making close to the league minimum when you have a stud in Tuukka Rask? Who was Martin Brodeur's backup in New Jersey when he was winning his string of Vezina Trophies in the late 90's/early 2000s? Anyone? Didn't really matter- the Devils did just fine because they needed a G who was "good enough" while Brodeur carried the team with his elite-caliber play, and fears of him getting "burned out" by the 70+ games of action each year proved unfounded. You obviously want a good backup in place to spell your No. 1 and win you games, but Brodeur is one case where if you have a thoroughbred between the pipes who's capable of handling the bulk of starts plus playoffs, backup is one area you can assume some risk with.

Spot on ...as usual ;)

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Anybody notice on Thornton's goal, he had Krug wide open in front? Nine times out of ten you will not score from there.Thornton has played better the last few games but perhaps it is time for him to be spotted every now and then. It might actually improve his game and energy level as he would be fresh for every game.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

Yes,it is certainly tough luck for AK but I think his time will come.He can play in this league.I wish we still had him.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
<snip>

Really good point with you whole post Kirk. It's well-reasoned, and very level. As to the above though, remember where you are. "Panicbutton" is the most common middle name around here.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
1. Columbus has a good defense and guys there are working hard and buying in. I think that team will make the playoffs this year.

2. Lucic is a beast. His passing is really underappreciated around here as well.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Broken clock is right twice a day.

Because a wobbly shot got through a crowd and tipped in, doesn't mean he is playing well.. just put a puck on the net.

He has been atrocious this year.

A wobbly shot? :laugh:

And no, Thornton has not been "atrocious." Somebody always has to be the whipping boy, and Marchand is too much of a favorite.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
What I like besides Looch's much improved skating is his leadership. We have really noticed it on the bench. :yo:

I think he is maturing and growing into his role on the team. I think he also very badly wants to make team Canada and while he and everyone else knows he is a long shot for the few spots open-he wants to make a case for the team.

It's clear he didn't spend his summer watching TV, eating pizza and drinking beer. His conditioning and skating are both very good and as long as he is moving his feet he is making an impact.

Last night he was a wrecking ball-and it was nice to see him with the OT game winner (his first ever from what he said in an interview after the game).

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Thanks Kirk, for reiterating the reason why Dobby left. He had a good shot at significant time in Carolina, and any ambitious goalie would jump at that chance, regardless of money. Stinks that he's hurt. :(

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
A wobbly shot? :laugh:

And no, Thornton has not been "atrocious." Somebody always has to be the whipping boy, and Marchand is too much of a favorite.

I'd actually agree, Thornton has been pretty lackluster this year, and he's not getting enough criticism (whipping boy, really?) because he's too much of a favorite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad