Post-Game Talk: [GM 14] Canucks lose to Canadiens | 2-5 | Schenn & Hoglander

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I guarantee you if Myers and OEL were not here and we had 2 other legit top 4 D, this team could succeed playing the run and gun style and play more offensively better under Bruces style no doubt, because you would have BETTER D. I'm tired of watching this team play a defensive game which is freaking boring I don't want to go back to that because upper management doesn't want to fix the problem, instead double down and sign players who should of been traded.

JR and Allvin need to start putting on their big boy pants and fix the problem, instead of blaming others.
Good summary. You can’t win in the NHL with a putrid defence where only one guy can defend well and he’s slow and getting slower.
TG tried to paper over it by reigning in the forwards but that only resulted in not being able to out score the inevitable breakdowns and awful PK.
BB tried to use puck possession, O zone time, and goals to try and compensate for our weak D and it worked ok last year when the entire team (especially Demko) was, amazingly, healthy and playing well.
This year, Hughes has been hurt or playing hurt, Demko has been way off his game, OEL looks older and slower and unable to cover up Myer’s blunders, Motte and his PK ability is gone, and Mikheyev was hurt and not up to speed.
Add that all up and it’s a lot to overcome and most of it is due to the terrible construction of the defence. No one outside of Schenn can defend well and he’s being forced to play too many minutes and too high up the lineup.

I wanted Dobson over Hughes and to re-sign Tanev which would have made for a much more balanced D. Now we have a bunch of offensive minded D and one veteran guy who’s aging out.

JR can start by sending Rathbone to Abby, Stillman to another organization, recall Brisbois, and have him and Burroughs rotate in and out of the lineup. That should stem some of the bleeding for now until Myers can be jettisoned.
We’re stuck with OEL as that contract is immovable.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Or we just keep plugging Stillman into the line up and see what happens.

pYljVTJ.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad