Post-Game Talk: GM 11: No letdown this time! Canucks 7, Panthers 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Fun 1st & 3rd periods to watch. Really enjoying the team this season. It's such a breath of fresh air to not feel se negative about them this season.

Reactions: DFAC and Zombotron

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Watched the middle 40 minutes, obviously missed the best bit, but I've seen the highlights. Backup goalie and a team on the back to back. It showed. Nice to see them really put the Panthers away especially after friday night. All the lines seemed to be going....nice to see Boeser get one, they were certainly trying to get him one the entire time I was watching.

Panthers have the worst defense that they've played so far IMO or at least played the worst. LA's is bad but Florida's were like matadors yesterday.

It was also nice to beat the Panthers like that after they forced Lu to retire to stick us with the recapture too. Doesn't take it away, but I'm petty like that, and that big loss with his $70m goalie in net for part of it looks good on Tallon.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Fun game to watch - think the top line had a very promising game. Pettersson was dancing all night, and Boeser was shooting from everywhere - hit some iron before he buried his shot late. Hopefully that means the dam is breaking for them, although it's ridiculous that even while they look not themselves/not quite 100%, Petey is over a point per game and Boeser is just under. Nice to have genuine talent.

Miller continuing his hot run of form, and so is Schaller. Full marks to Schaller for saving his professional hockey career this year - I think everyone had him headed to Utica after camp, but you have to give him credit for showing up, earning his space, and subsequently having some pretty good success as a result.

Loving all the goal scoring.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
First two saves by Demko very routine.

Huge whiff on Sutter's wedge shot by Montembault. Demko is a better outlet passer than half our D...hahaha

Nice to see us score goals but for someone watching to see how Demko's going it's kind of boring. But that's cool.

PP 1st period - even Myers can't make PP2 less static with Edler on it.
Hughes driving the PP1, still need an occasional winger switch IMO. Or just rotate the top umbrella.

Thing about Schaller is that he's working hard, and that is leading to goals. Good for him.

Jakey's goal shows the danger of a "small" rebound. Jakey just skates onto that rebound and pumps it in. If you're going to use your stick there, you have to direct it.

P1-12:54 This may be the first time all season I haven't seen Demko go down needlessly when the puck is behind the net. Honestly it's kind of amazing. Still loads of work to do on this habit though. Really annoying to

P1-12:35 Schaller really should have had a goal there, Bob robbed him. He seems to be in much better positions in the offensive zone this year.

P1-12:34 not 20 ****ing seconds later, Demko goes into post integration when the puck is in the literal corner. Brutal. He needs to work on this. He's big and has good reflexes, it's this piddly **** that is dragging him down. You have to remember that this kind of tendency has ruined the careers of goalies before. Not to mention it has to happen for Demko to reach his true potential, which I think is huge. If you watch until 12:32, Demko goes to lean to his left. This is a part of the way this move works but he's failed to read the play, which is already going behind the net. This is an automatic move, if he was really paying attention he would know there's no need to lean. As the play goes around the net, now he is a smidge late. It doesn't matter because Benn and Gaud break up the play but again Demko has been burned by this before. I don't know why he keeps dropping to his knees so early.

P1-12:04 This is a very long range shot and is weak because Edler is on the shooter, but I still don't like that Demko isn't getting ready earlier. It's difficult in this kind of game where you have 3 shots in 8 minutes - it plays with your mind a little. But notice Demko uses his stick to push this weak shot harmlessly to the corner. Jakey wouldn't have had a goal if Montembault had done this. Also Demko with a neat bit of edgework to push it to the corner and then get to his feet in a single smooth motion. Very slick.

P1-11:53 I hate to be right but notice Boyle has the puck at the dot and Demko is just getting into his stance. If you pause it here he is in a weird transition. This is too late to prepare for a shot by an NHL shooter. We usually teach goalies to be in a semi-ready stance when the puck is at the CENTER LINE. In this case, you need to be getting ready as soon as you see the turnover at the blueline - or for God's sake at least at 11:54 when it's obvious the guy is going to turn to his forehand. Another issue here is that Demko has no backwards flow. He doesn't need much but if this was a net drive he would be starting flat footed by getting in his stance this late. At 11:53 Boyle has released the puck and Demko hasn't even completed his crouch. Finally, because he did all this from a static position, Demko is off his angle. If you look at Boyle's release point, it's to Demko's blocker side. The puck is "looking" right at the gap under his arm. Now, this gap is a good thing - by not squeezing your arm against your body you become more reactive. But if Demko were centered and square here the puck would be looking at his chest. If you butterfly straight down you probably still stop it. But because he's ready late he doesn't have a good track, and because he doesn't have a good track, he does a panic butterfly...but again he is off his angle so it goes straight through him.
Honestly this tendency to not get ready earlier is the height of hubris. It means you think that you don't even need to get prepared to stop shots. On one hand I guess it's a sign of confidence. But he's been burned at this level almost every time he's done it on shots that aren't from the blueline. At some point you have to learn from your mistakes.

P1-10:25 Miller waits for the screen and wires it. Probably would have scored without it because the placement was good but just shows you how smart he is.

P1-08:20 Simple save but I like the stick involvement. This is coming along nicely.
Next two saves aren't worth talking about, from well out.

P1-00:00:55 Nice to see Leivo score, but I am a fan of his...Also notice Bob is down for no reason here since Ferland is halfway from the net and at a terrible angle, which is why Leivo has an open net. Even Bob's explosiveness can't get him across in time.

P1-00:00.41 Demko ready early because the play is in the zone...look how easy he makes it look.

P1-00:00.06 This time a good drop because the puck is shot to the front with an opposing player right on the doorstep. Now post integration gives no room and allows Demko to move across with the play.

P2:19:33 Notice Demko is in stance as soon as the play crosses the blueline. From his feet he can make the minute adjustments necessary to follow the first puck carrier across, then move back into position with depth to stop the one-timer. The new pants are curved and not square like they used to be to maximize blocking area, and it gives off weird and unpredictable rebounds. That's what happens here, so I don't blame Demko for not having the rebound completely secure despite very extreme arm cradling.

P2-10:50 Wingers on their weak sides and the immediate one-timer chances are glorious. Uncharacteristic off-sides afterwards unfortunately.

P2-08:06 Hoffman has already started his release an Demko isn't ready. If you frame-by-frame this, Demko's head doesn't even move until the puck hits the post. That means he didn't see it at all. Kind of a miracle he even gets a piece with his glove. If you don't pre-prepare for
shots, you're going to get beat. Again I would argue he's not doing everything he can to fight through screens. Yes Huberdeau is in front but he has a huge heigh disadvantage and he ends up getting out of the way at the end.

P2-07:50 This is a learning moment. Demko is in his stance before Hoffman gets the puck in the circle this time. This lets him track the slap-pass (watch his head move with the puck) and he's in position for the deflection. Then he shows some amazing discipline getting his gloves square to the possible rebound shot from the slot and makes an amazing point-blank glove save. He actually has to move his glove too, so this isn't totally a blocking move. That's a special level of reflexes IMO.

P2-07:37 Actually despite doing everything letter-perfect here (ready early, maintains stance and follows the puck not the man, stays square) Demko just doesn't get a good track on the puck here. Not too surprising since this is wired from the slot by Huberdeau. His positioning and good butterfly saves him, this is a bit of a lucky stop.

P2-07:02 Another learning moment. After playing the entire PP with better preshot preparation after almost getting burned by Hoffman the first time, Demko is in a really relaxed stance. He hasn't even startd his move across and the pass to Hoffman is halfway there. Myers with another half-assed block (you all know how much I love those) but Demko at this point has almost no chance to make this save as long as the shot is on net. He's still moving when Hoffman contacts the puck on the one-timer. I have no idea why Demko was so slow on this play, but glaring at Myers doesn't change the fact he wasn't in the right place on time. Also Myer's screen wasn't as bad as the ones Edler was responsible for on Marky since Myers is a lot further out and Myers is more static.

P3-13:10 Good sequence, not sure what happened when he paddled down but great job to look mid-level around the screen which let him pick up the point shot. He needs to do this more often.

P3-06:40 Well the slackers put up more points. I think EP has been consistently putting in effort on both ends this whole season, and the fact is Boeser is a quick-strike out of nowhere guy. So it's appropriate that they've been producing this whole time, IMO it's in character. Eventually EP will adapt even further and we'll see more of what we became accustomed to last year.

P3-00:00:25 Well, again, why are you on your knees? No danger of the puck being walked out and no close-range threat in front. I thought I was going to be able to end up commentary here but now Demko is down with a guy with momentum getting the puck. Demko lucky that the shot is blocked because as a RHS he probably has a pretty good lateral and aerial angle on this play. Demko shows some great edges following the broken play to his left but then when the puck spills back into the circle he decides to stay on his knees. The play is too far out to take this risk, there is a ton to shoot at even on as big a goalie as Demko. He could have regained his feet here, and he's lucky Hunt catches his shoulder. He's also lucky #7 doesn't drift out into the higher slot as he would be helpless against a pass.

I could comment on a couple of sloppy post integrations after this but I won't bother. Its kind of concerning he's so casual even with a 7-2 lead in the closing moments of a game.

Overall Demko showed me no signs of improvement or progression in this game. Kind of status quo which I think is fine for a developing goalie. Luckily that wasn't a big deal because of the weak performance by the Panthers. Obviously he's still playing decently, but I would say he didn't have too much to do in this game. I still think he's doing a lot of lazy things and that those lazy things would be biting him more often if he had played a stronger team. But that's why you pick and choose his starts, and it looks like the opponents they've chosen have been chosen well.
wow. well done Mossey appreciate it.
It was hard to fault anyone last night but Demko seemed to be a bit sluggish and out of square on a number of occasions. I'm a terrible goalie evaluator so im glad to read that what i was noticing was in fact flawed play.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
wow. well done Mossey appreciate it.
It was hard to fault anyone last night but Demko seemed to be a bit sluggish and out of square on a number of occasions. I'm a terrible goalie evaluator so im glad to read that what i was noticing was in fact flawed play.
Goalie evaluations are hard, I really appreciate what Mossey is doing for us. I find myself watching and seeing the same things after reading his posts.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I thought Eriksson's gm tonight was better than Motte's best game so far... no?
Eriksson has been a top 12 forward on this team all season and IMO will always be a part of the 12 best forwards they could ice, but they don't want to dress the best 12, they want a certain style and it's hard to argue against the record so far.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
PP 1st period - even Myers can't make PP2 less static with Edler on it.

this is very true. i thought myers was wanting to try out some hughes chaos and movement and edler wasn't having it. it's a funny thing how a player can affect the game even when he is not on the ice.

Reactions: mossey3535

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Fun game to watch - think the top line had a very promising game. Pettersson was dancing all night, and Boeser was shooting from everywhere - hit some iron before he buried his shot late. Hopefully that means the dam is breaking for them, although it's ridiculous that even while they look not themselves/not quite 100%, Petey is over a point per game and Boeser is just under. Nice to have genuine talent.

Miller continuing his hot run of form, and so is Schaller. Full marks to Schaller for saving his professional hockey career this year - I think everyone had him headed to Utica after camp, but you have to give him credit for showing up, earning his space, and subsequently having some pretty good success as a result.

Loving all the goal scoring.
I echo your thoughts. I'm really liking how Petey is playing a more calculated game. Seems to be getting better and better as things move along and you just know he's gonna have a few moments of sheer brilliance coming soon. Both him and Brock haven't been threading the needle as they have shown in the past yet are still providing top level production. Pettersson now has 80pts in his first 82 games.

Seems like a great group this year with defined roles and lots of size speed and detrmination combined with most importantly a high end talent group on that 1st PP unit. If we stay healthy this is gonna be exciting

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Beautiful luxury of a blow out... coaches get to do this:

FORWARDSESTOITOI
J. BeagleC13:2415:46
B. BoeserRW14:2316:44
L. ErikssonLW12:5713:04
M. FerlandLW12:1512:15
B. HorvatC12:5115:18
J. LeivoLW13:2614:58
J.T. MillerC13:5816:19
T. PearsonLW12:0014:59
E. PetterssonC13:5216:13
T. SchallerLW12:5414:58
B. SutterC13:0016:17
J. VirtanenRW11:3611:36
DEFENSEMENESTOITOI
J. BennD18:5820:50
A. EdlerD17:0019:37
Q. HughesD16:2318:44
T. MyersD17:2419:49
T. StecherD18:2019:16
C. TanevD16:3719:23
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Boeser leading forward in ES ice time due to being the slowest to the bench delaying Virtanen's change eating away at his shift time causing him to have the least amount of ice. That's been this week's "A Look Within the Numbers".

Last edited:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Entire post outstanding!
Thank you for this analysis.

Thanks! I really like demko and think he's a big part of our future so I'm always excited to watch his starts. Some things Clark has weeded out almost immediately from preseason to his first regular season starts, but other bad habits remain.

To be honest if he didn't have a few warts it wouldn't make for very interesting posts. There are many things he does extremely well, the reason I get on some of his tendencies is that they are ones that something can be done about. Like Demko doesn't have a flaw in his game as big as say skating was for Luongo. Even as a work in progress you see he's been pretty successful so far and many of those games were for a not so good team last season.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Ferland is coming around.

Apparently his illness in preseason caused him to lose quite a bit of weight. He hadn’t weighed that little since junior.

It’s not surprising that he was ineffective to start the season of that was the case.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
Impressive zone exits by the Canucks, machine like all night long.
Since the Sedin era, difficulty with the outlet has been there Achilles heel. They were awesome tonight. They only resorted to dump and chase when all five Panthers were on the blue line.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
The team has been healthy. The schedule has been kind. This won't last forever.

QFT. The NHL will not serve us up a steady stream of bone tired teams playing the second of back to back road games at the end of a long road trip. The worm WILL turn, THEN we will see what this team is made of. Still this was a game we HAD to win and we did so there's that...

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Watching that game last night I kept coming back to the same conclusion - this team is starting to play a lot like Vegas. The team looks big, the forwards back check hard, take time and space away for the opposition, they come at you in waves with 4 lines and the defense activates constantly and is good at holding the offensive blueline.

What a complete night and day difference from the previous few years.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
It was also nice to beat the Panthers like that after they forced Lu to retire to stick us with the recapture too. Doesn't take it away, but I'm petty like that, and that big loss with his $70m goalie in net for part of it looks good on Tallon.

Enlighten me as to how the Panthers "forced Lou to retire to stick us with the recapture". Is this yet another tentacle of the terrible conspiracy against the poor Canucks by the NHL? Or did Gina simply want him at home more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad