Post-Game Talk: GM 11: No letdown this time! Canucks 7, Panthers 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo57

Jan 28, 2018
QFT. The NHL will not serve us up a steady stream of bone tired teams playing the second of back to back road games at the end of a long road trip. The worm WILL turn, THEN we will see what this team is made of. Still this was a game we HAD to win and we did so there's that...

10 games into the schedule and teams are bone tired? You would figure an NHL team is prepped to play for the long haul, a back to back this early in the schedule is that much of a factor?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
10 games into the schedule and teams are bone tired? You would figure an NHL team is prepped to play for the long haul, a back to back this early in the schedule is that much of a factor?

I tend to agree with you. I think their biggest weakness was not being prepared for this Canucks team. They had a pretty easy night against EDM. I doubt they were gassed.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I tend to agree with you. I think their biggest weakness was not being prepared for this Canucks team. They had a pretty easy night against EDM. I doubt they were gassed.
Well Florida played at 10am east coast time on Sunday and had to play the next game. Not sure if it was fatigue, but they certainly weren't ready to play last night. Probably a case of travel related fatigue and underestimating the Canucks, who made them pay early and often. They did start their backup too.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Well Florida played at 10am east coast time on Sunday and had to play the next game. Not sure if it was fatigue, but they certainly weren't ready to play last night. Probably a case of travel related fatigue and underestimating the Canucks, who made them pay early and often. They did start their backup too.
Travel related fatigue..?..the Panthers most likely flew here after the Oilers game and were in their hotel rooms by dinner time..3rd game in 5 nights this early in the season..I dont buy it.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

I'm not buying it. These players today are the best conditioned hockey players have ever been. They travel on private jets in total luxury with other people taking care of everything. Travel is nothing new for any of these players regardless of distance/time zone. This early into the season the chance of fatigue is so low it shouldn't be a factor. They weren't prepared and were not expecting that Canucks team to show up. Plain and simple

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Travel related fatigue..?..the Panthers most likely flew here after the Oilers game and were in their hotel rooms by dinner time..3rd game in 5 nights this early in the season..I dont buy it.
Playing against a rested team on a back to back after an afternoon game? They looked like shit, sure, but not buying "fatigue" seems silly. Shall I expect you to give the Canucks the same benefit when they run into a bit tougher of a schedule against rested teams?

@MikeK It's not the reason they lost, but it seemed to be a factor. Every teams athletes are conditioned now, so a group getting 2 days off, while playing a team on a back to back would be an issue regardless of training regimens.

Again, I only watched the highlights of the first 10 minutes, I missed that portion of the game, but they looked listless throughout the game, whether that was just going through the motions I don't know, but I think travel/game times/back to backs are a factor no matter which part of the season you're in.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Usually the largest effect of a back to back is in the 3rd period when lactic acids in the muscles and fatigue become a factor.

in my experience the team coming off a back to back is usually pretty sharp to start the game and knowing that the muscle fatigue is coming come out gunning for a lead so they can play a conservative road game (trap) after

Reactions: nucks88 and MikeK

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Playing against a rested team on a back to back after an afternoon game? They looked like ****, sure, but not buying "fatigue" seems silly. Shall I expect you to give the Canucks the same benefit when they run into a bit tougher of a schedule against rested teams?

@MikeK It's not the reason they lost, but it seemed to be a factor. Every teams athletes are conditioned now, so a group getting 2 days off, while playing a team on a back to back would be an issue regardless of training regimens.

Again, I only watched the highlights of the first 10 minutes, I missed that portion of the game, but they looked listless throughout the game, whether that was just going through the motions I don't know, but I think travel/game times/back to backs are a factor no matter which part of the season you're in.

Fatigue was probably a factor in the 3rd when they has zero push to come back.

But you can't blame fatigue at all for 4 goals against in the opening 10 mins of the game...
They weren't ready to play. Mainly it was their goalie crushing their night and mentally roasting them.. complete gut punch of a first... especially that Virtanen goal.

People are overplaying the b2b situation... This game was over before Florida could break a sweat.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You could argue that Eastern teams are more affected by back-to-backs and the time-changes than teams in the West....basically because they simply not used to it.

You look at teams like the the Pens, Sabres, Leafs and even the Panthers and Lighting....how many games do they play outside the Eastern time-zone? Every team in the Southeast division is no more than an hour plane-away.

But when they face the same travel rigors as a team like the Kings or the Canucks, they just fold their tents.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Fatigue was probably a factor in the 3rd when they has zero push to come back.

But you can't blame fatigue at all for 4 goals against in the opening 10 mins of the game...
They weren't ready to play. Mainly it was their goalie crushing their night and mentally roasting them.. complete gut punch of a first... especially that Virtanen goal.

People are overplaying the b2b situation... This game was over before Florida could break a sweat.
The back to back in a different time zone, having an early game is an issue. The people overplaying it, are the ones giving it no credence.

Fatigue doesn't need to be muscular or lactic acid. If you've ever had to travel for work you'd recognize this, even just regular travel is hard going across time zones.

They definitely weren't ready to play, which I stated, but POM jumped all over my comment about fatigue, so I responded. It can be more things than the Canucks were better and their backup sucked....I think underestimating the Canucks, a backup goalie, a good start, and travel/back to back are reasons for the blowout.

They didn't look tired in the 3rd anymore than they did in the first, they looked like they wanted the game over almost the entire time I watched (wife changed it before the Boeser goal).

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
The back to back in a different time zone, having an early game is an issue. The people overplaying it, are the ones giving it no credence.

Fatigue doesn't need to be muscular or lactic acid. If you've ever had to travel for work you'd recognize this, even just regular travel is hard going across time zones.

They definitely weren't ready to play, which I stated, but POM jumped all over my comment about fatigue, so I responded. It can be more things than the Canucks were better and their backup sucked....I think underestimating the Canucks, a backup goalie, a good start, and travel/back to back are reasons for the blowout.

They didn't look tired in the 3rd anymore than they did in the first, they looked like they wanted the game over almost the entire time I watched (wife changed it before the Boeser goal).

They've been in the West now since the 23rd.
At least you have the b2b listed as the last reason on the list...

Reactions: MikeK

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
They've been in the West now since the 23rd.
At least you have the b2b listed as the last reason on the list...
Well if you read my first post about it in here, you'd see that I didn't place all the blame on it, POM just jumped on it because I wasn't waiving pom poms.

Reactions: I am toxic

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Try 4pm eastern time. Unless you're saying the Panther - Oilers game was at 8am in Edmonton.

PS: As someone who has flown across multiple time zones a fair bit, I can tell you that going west was always a lot easier than going east.

Reactions: 420Canuck

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
Ah, you people realize the Canucks won last night right? What’s with all the excuses for why Florida lost and just enjoy that bat kicking they gave the team.

Florida also had points in 8-9 straight games so give all the credit for the Canuck players coming out on fire.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Well if you read my first post about it in here, you'd see that I didn't place all the blame on it, POM just jumped on it because I wasn't waiving pom poms.

'but POM'

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Ah, you people realize the Canucks won last night right? What’s with all the excuses for why Florida lost and just enjoy that bat kicking they gave the team.

Florida also had points in 8-9 straight games so give all the credit for the Canuck players coming out on fire.
Yeah, no. Doesn't work like that here.

But welcome to the board.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I'm not buying it. These players today are the best conditioned hockey players have ever been. They travel on private jets in total luxury with other people taking care of everything. Travel is nothing new for any of these players regardless of distance/time zone. This early into the season the chance of fatigue is so low it shouldn't be a factor. They weren't prepared and were not expecting that Canucks team to show up. Plain and simple
I think we’re surprising a lot of team right now.

Over the last 4 years, teams have become accustomed to have to play only 2 periods against us.

Jimbo playing 6D underwater parcheesi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad