GDT: GM 1 | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | 7:00PM PST | Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Last year the Canucks had three practices and then were plunged into regular season games in the North Division. We all know how that turned out.

This year, they've had more than three weeks in training camp and seven exhibition games, and it feels like things are in as much flux with the lineup as last year.

But I guess it wouldn't be the Vancouver Canucks if the start of a new season didn't include injuries, absences and protracted contract negotiations.

I agree that those lines look downright ugly, highlighted by a PTO landing on the top line. I realize Chiasson had a decent training camp, but was he 'that' good?

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Miller - Pettersson - Chiasson
Pearson - Horvat - Garland
Highmore - Dickinson - Hoglander
Dowling - Lammikko - Podkolzin

Ekman-Larsson - Myers
Hughes - Poolman
Hunt - Schenn

Still cannot believe that is the opening day lineup. The bottom 6 has about 4 AHLers and the top 4 Canucks D are going to be seeing a regular 20+min workload every night. That bottom pairing is as ugly as it gets.

With the last change, I think Tippett just loads up his top line and feasts off that Hunt-Schenn pairing or 4th line.

If we win, it will be a high scoring contest. Not sure if you run-and-gun with Edmonton though.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
6-4 final is my guess. i cant decide if smith shits the bed or mcdavid/drai go bonkers

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Benning cannot look at the defense and think this is improved from last year. Poolman and Myers are bottom pairing defensemen, Rathbone is a work in progress in the defensive zone to say the least, Hunt is nothing special and should only be depth, and Schenn should be shot out of a cannon. Legitimately the only top 4 defense is Hughes and OEL, and that's banking on OEL rounding back to form. This has to be one of the worst group of 6 defenders Canucks have ever employed. If Benning had half a brain, he would be sacrificing a top 6 player for a top 4 defenseman, a move that I am loathed to make but is necessary because of Benning's utter inability to actually manage assets.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Whats imperative in this game is that our best players match theirs..Obviously, no one can match McD's talent, but they have to match their intensity...McD and Draisaitl are rarely 'no shows'.

-Speaking of McD, the Canucks should try and get under his skin a bit...He's been having hissy fits lately, and when he does, it throws their whole team off, looking for retaliation.
-Hopefully, Boeser is in..looks like he has an extra gear in his skating this season (providing his injury wasn't lower body)
-Demko has got to be better..I've noticed it takes him awhile to get into his rhythm (Luongo used to be the same way)
-If there's a penalty parade, we're in trouble
- I've noticed that Smith actively wanders out of his crease, goading opposing players to hit him, and when they make contact , he starts with his dramatics...sneaky.

Reactions: Indiana

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
I keep seeing this.

It's because he's a placeholder for Boeser. If he can go he will be re positioned probably on the 4th line or press box.
Lol. There are much better placeholders to take that role if Boes doesn't end up playing.

Another year of wasting young guns' development in favour of playing vets. Problem is, it doesn't result in a bunch of wins...

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Dowling and Chiasson on PP units over Hoglander really says it all.

Our coaching is a joke.
Chiasson as a net front guy on the PP I can at least see some logic in, even if people disagree with it. But Dowling is a joke on the PP

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Like I said, green is just not a Höglander guy.
There’s more than enough signs to show this, he probably thinks he’s god awful defensively, Because every little praise always gets followed with some sort of sleight on his defensive work

Reactions: Indiana and Grub
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad