GDT: GM#1 LA Kings vs San Jose Sharks @7:30 10/5/18

Where will the Kings finish at the end of the season?

• Total voters

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Some good some bad. Not sure Kolvachuk will work out. Flashes of quality but also flashes of a player past his prime. Hopefully it’s just rust.

Power play is still trash.

Weird seeing a player like Wagner on a kings team. Adds excitement but if he’s got no finish what’s the point?

A lot of players in quicksand out there.

Very interesting take on Kovalchuk considering he was misused by Stevens all game.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Toffoli is who he is. He’ll go on a hot streak at some point and pot 10 in 15 and everyone will love him. Then he’ll disappear again.

More concerned about Carter’s general non-impact.

Kovalchuk looked okay. Definitely a timing thing - knowing when to cheat, when he has an opening, etc. The tools are all there - skating, stickhandling, etc. Question is: will his body hold up long enough for his timing to come back?

Find out next episode of Dragonball Z.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The Kings getting stuck with tired players on the ice has been a reoccurring theme over the past two seasons.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
The Kings allowed the first goal in 50 out of 82 games last season. We're picking up right where we left off. We can complain about the lines, whose in the lineup, but at the end of the day if you constantly give up the first goal and try to claw your way back, you're not going to win every game like that.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Not many complaints about this one. Solid effort against a good team. Yea, there were some silly mistakes but you have to give SJ credit too. They had already played a game and lost, so it's natural they would have more urgency.

The game left a lot to look forward to rather than the tripe we often get from season openers. Oh, and Fantenberg surprised me, played a damn good game.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
A good game, great to see regular season hockey again. I though TT was a bit unlucky on the game winner, he was gassed, it looked like he tried to lift the guys stick and wiffed on it. I though Karlsson looked like shit.

Reactions: kilowatt

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
put kovalchuk with toffoli and carter and you've got a really bad line :)

Jun 30, 2006
-PP was a disaster.
-Kovy looked rusty.
- like to see more Wagner.
- this team is soft as charmin.

Probably going to finish ninth or get swept in the first round again.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
And that is with a decent amount of PP time.

Muzzin has regressed considerably, AMart is now 31, Doughty has never been able to get shots through.

A big big area of concern.

Meanwhile, Braden McNabb has taken some big strides up in Vegas...

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I like the team that Blake has assembled, but Stevens just doesn't seem like he has much of a clue how to effectively coach in 2018. Nate Thompson was essentially operating as the Kings #3 center tonight, while Mike Amadio got 7 and change of icetime, same with Wagner.

Wagner only got a little more than a minute less of ES time than Thompson, it's not like there was some huge gap between them. I would have like to have seen Amadio more for sure. The reason Thompson was in there so much was because he was outstanding on faceoffs tonight. 70% is damn impressive against the Sharks.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Kopitar still can't win an opening faceoff on the PP. It just throws everything off. They end up wasting 20-30 seconds before they get the zone back, if they get the zone back.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Wagner only got a little more than a minute less of ES time than Thompson, it's not like there was some huge gap between them. I would have like to have seen Amadio more for sure. The reason Thompson was in there so much was because he was outstanding on faceoffs tonight. 70% is damn impressive against the Sharks.

That's not going to keep him in the league if he's going to be as awful as he was in the rest of the game.

He is basically Stoll circa-2015 at this point.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Overall though it was the first game of the season, not surprised that guys like Carter and especially Kovalchuk weren't in top form. They'll get better as time goes on. I'm a little concerned about some of the offensive formations they came out in - it's different I guess, but that didn't mean it was good. I don't think the Kings are going to be a top team this year, but they just need to get into the playoffs in order to make some noise. Hopefully they do just that.

Evergreen

Who is this lady interviewing Wagner in the locker room? Her voice sounds like she's reading a child a bedtime story.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
And that is with a decent amount of PP time.

Muzzin has regressed considerably, AMart is now 31, Doughty has never been able to get shots through.

A big big area of concern.

The worst Kings d-man in this game for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad