OT: Gluten Free Beer

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
wondering if anyone knows of any gluten free beer that isn't horrible. i am cutting gluten out of my diet temporary but i need to drink beer. suggestions?

edit: i only posted in this forum because the selection of gluten beer is usually limited to the area...

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
What's the point of drinking beer if you're going to turn it into something healthy? I say, cut out gluten foods but reward yourself with an ice cold Hofbrau beer. By giving yourself some sort of reward like that it'll help you keep your dietary change going longer than you probably originally thought you could.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
If you are going to drink any beer go with a German beer. They don't use the same kind of brewers yeast as we do in North America, by no means is it gluten free but there is less.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
I would ask at one of the better beer stores in town. Somewhere like Brewery Creek, Legacy or Firefly.

Maybe do some research on sites like Rate beer and Beer Advocate.

Good luck!

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
If you are going to drink any beer go with a German beer. They don't use the same kind of brewers yeast as we do in North America, by no means is it gluten free but there is less.

The yeast has no part in it, it is the grain which carries the gluten. I can not give you a detailed advice but rice-based beer is probably the best for OP - which leads to most asian beers. Avoid Belgian beer as they in most cases are very heavy on malt.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
The yeast has no part in it, it is the grain which carries the gluten. I can not give you a detailed advice but rice-based beer is probably the best for OP - which leads to most asian beers. Avoid Belgian beer as they in most cases are very heavy on malt.
Not an expert by any means, but my doctor told me otherwise. I may be off on the details exactly, what I have is a wheat sensitivity and and I was meant to stay of Brewers yeast (I don't). I was told German beer was better, not perfect but better. Maybe its not the exact same as gluten but i figured the two may have been comparable.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
What's the point of drinking beer if you're going to turn it into something healthy? I say, cut out gluten foods but reward yourself with an ice cold Hofbrau beer. By giving yourself some sort of reward like that it'll help you keep your dietary change going longer than you probably originally thought you could.

This makes a ton of sense.

Or, you could switch to spirits? :dunno:

A good whiskey on the rocks or rum and coke takes the edge off nicely.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Most of my family is gluten free and some of them cheat with beer and beer only.

This is a really good question though, I'll have to ask around.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Not an expert by any means, but my doctor told me otherwise. I may be off on the details exactly, what I have is a wheat sensitivity and and I was meant to stay of Brewers yeast (I don't). I was told German beer was better, not perfect but better. Maybe its not the exact same as gluten but i figured the two may have been comparable.

Sounds like a crock to me.

German beer uses different yeasts depending on the style. What many german beers do have going for them is quality based on the Reinheisegbot. You generally dont get a lot of additives.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden

Well I am no gluten expert, but I am a home brewer. German beer is often equaled to lager and that is a rather light beer when it comes to malt (always exceptions) compared to many ale types. This is actually a question of yeast in the end as the yeast is what divides ale and lager into two main categories of beer with many subcategories each.

So my guess is that your doctor said something which in itself isn't true but the result of the advice is still often right.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
People in general are too sensitive these days apparently. I wonder more why this kinda thing hasnt been weeded out through natural selection haha. Oh you get puffy from eating this, sniffing those or touching that? Give me your babies!

Seriously OP you should ask this question to your grandparents generation and see how long that lasts

Catamo

Jul 5, 2006
British Columbia
People in general are too sensitive these days apparently. I wonder more why this kinda thing hasnt been weeded out through natural selection haha. Oh you get puffy from eating this, sniffing those or touching that? Give me your babies!

Seriously OP you should ask this question to your grandparents generation and see how long that lasts

What do you gain from vomiting garbage comments off for the rest of us to have to read?

Best answer I can give you OP is Surrey Central Liquor Store has a massive selection of unique and niche beers and would likely have what your looking for.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Try something besides beer

1. Cider, not a huge myself by worth a try.

2. Mix your own cocktails. Mmm nice. Impress the ladies by being able to make their favourites.

3. Develop an appreciation of wine, educate the palate.

4. Just give up booze for a while.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
A few of my friends are celiac, they can only drink Budweiser which is below 20 parts per million of gluten content (much lower than other popular beers). Other specified gluten-free beer as well (Nickel Brook, etc.)

I don't have the problem, and I despise Budweiser, but from my peers' experiences, that's your best bet.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Harvester Brewing are a dedicated gluten free brewery (even have an IPA) but they're not stocked anywhere in BC, even though they're an Oregon brewery. Had it and it's pretty good stuff. If you're in Washington or Oregon, you can find it around pretty easily.

I've had some others like New Grist and Bard's and those are just crap. Your best bet is to either just say screw it and drink normal beer once in a while, or pick up some German beers.

Edit: I did some quick googling for you and this store in Victoria seems to carry a good selection: http://bcliquorguys.blogspot.com/search?q=gluten (You could write down some of those beers and ask around at places like Firefly in Vancouver.)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad