Boston Globe Globe's research department makes a huge error in Sunday paper

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
No way the Bruins lose the Cup in 1971 with Sinden coaching

He was a fantastic coach and could control that team

Tom Johnson was s long time Canadiens player coaching the Bruins

I’m still pissed over that

Playing the "what if" game, Schmidt as GM and Harry never becoming GM may have sated my wish for more Cups. Still would have had to have dealt with the Adam's and their money problems but :dunno:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
He does seem to elicit a fair amount of love/hate in this fandom! I love some of the moves that he's made through-out the decades, but I HATE others that he made. Getting Brad Park from the Rangers was a huge win for him but losing guys like Dave Poulin, Andy Moog not so good. Trading Mike Krushelnyski for Kenny "Rat" Linseman I liked at first but hated later on. There are a multitude of examples like these.
Once Harry started worrying more about the business end of the team VS the on-ice product, telling Joe Juneau that if he expected a certain amount of
money he can "go learn how to yodel" is funny yet a really ****y thing to say. Then, he turns around and trades him for a burned out (mentally and physically wrecked) Al "The Planet" Iafrate" was ridiculous. The stories go on and on about Sinden and his massive ego. I live around 5 miles away from where he used to live in Winchester. One day I was at a red light and there in his white/gold Cadillac was Harry next to me. I recognized him, gave him a little nod of the head and a smile with a little wave. He looked at me in disgust, snarled and turned his head back around to await the light.
The look he gave me reminded me of how European royalty would look down on the "savage masses" with utter contempt. Harry must've been Marie Antoinette in his past life!

That would have been the day JJ bought the team. F Sinden, F JJ. They are the two main reasons this team never won a cup in Sindens tenure as GM. If you fail every year for 30 plus years but keep your job the owner must like what you are doing, which in this case was filling JJ's pockets with money.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The Globe is one of the two local papers for the city of Boston. It has been around for decades. It has covered the Bruins for decades.

How in the hell could it fail to include Sinden on this list? :dunno: This is Journalism 101 people- know the local organizations you're covering.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Playing the "what if" game, Schmidt as GM and Harry never becoming GM may have sated my wish for more Cups. Still would have had to have dealt with the Adam's and their money problems but :dunno:

Westy Adams was a strange dude. He lived to sail boats ( and still does ).

When he opened the first Bruins pro shop at the Garden you could find him most afternoons working the counter to save on payroll and once the WHA came along they had to sell as they didn't have the money.

While the Bruins 'owned' the Garden they did not own or control the land ( the railroad and later the state did ) - It took JJ 20 years to finally get control of the land and the new Garden finally happened.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Westy Adams was a strange dude. He lived to sail boats ( and still does ).

When he opened the first Bruins pro shop at the Garden you could find him most afternoons working the counter to save on payroll and once the WHA came along they had to sell as they didn't have the money.

While the Bruins 'owned' the Garden they did not own or control the land ( the railroad and later the state did ) - It took JJ 20 years to finally get control of the land and the new Garden finally happened.

Yes, and now (surprise!) he wants to build, and has been given the green light to do so, another playground for the rich.

OT: Boston is the third most expensive city in the country in which to live. It's number one in income inequality and "income segmentation" (that is, the wealthy v. everyone else).

Look at the Boston skyline over the last few years. What do you see? Lux construction gone wild.

It makes me angry, and sad.

End rant.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Correction: Because of an editor’s error, former Bruins coach Harry Sinden was not included in the graphic accompanying Sunday Hockey Notes. Sinden coached the Bruins to the 1970 Stanley Cup but did not return the following season. Also, Mike Keenan did return to the playoffs after leading the Rangers to the Stanley Cup in 1994.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Correction: Because of an editor’s error, former Bruins coach Harry Sinden was not included in the graphic accompanying Sunday Hockey Notes. Sinden coached the Bruins to the 1970 Stanley Cup but did not return the following season. Also, Mike Keenan did return to the playoffs after leading the Rangers to the Stanley Cup in 1994.
How do you get basic history of anything wrong that anyone right now would get with a simple Google search?

Joke of a news source

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Globe is one of the two local papers for the city of Boston. It has been around for decades. It has covered the Bruins for decades.

How in the hell could it fail to include Sinden on this list? :dunno: This is Journalism 101 people- know the local organizations you're covering.

I must have stared at that graphic for 5 minutes just dumbfounded and then the Keenan entry was wrong as well.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH and BMC

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
they haven't owned it since spinning off the New England Media Group in 2013, Worcester's Telegram then was flipped to what is now Gatehouse media
Thanks...
Actually, I should've known this since I was a contractor for them until the NYT sold them, after that they brought in their own people.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
The Globe doesn't report the news it makes up the news. Integrity is long gone with this rag.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad