Boston Globe Globe's research department makes a huge error in Sunday paper

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Boston Globe has a huge graphic in the Sunday edition on the 10 NHL coaches that won the Stanley Cup and did not return the following season.

sunhock0708.jpg

But it should be 11.

boston-bruins-coach-harry-sinden-hugs-the-stanley-cup-after-the-one-picture-id823217712

Sinden quit when the Adams family lowballed him for the following season and he left hockey for 2 years before becoming coach of Team Canada in 1972.

:help:

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
The Boston Globe has a huge graphic in the Sunday edition on the 10 NHL coaches that won the Stanley Cup and did not return the following season.

sunhock0708.jpg

But it should be 11.

boston-bruins-coach-harry-sinden-hugs-the-stanley-cup-after-the-one-picture-id823217712

Sinden quit when the Adams family lowballed him on for the following season and he left hockey for 2 years before becoming coach of Team Canada in 1972.

:help:

In the interim, he was, like, a car salesmen or "executive," no?

I f***ing hate Harry Sinden. Always have, always will.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The bit on Keenan never making the playoffs again after leaving the Rangers is also wrong.

Sure is.

upload_2018-7-8_2-14-21.png

The graphic was compiled by Sean Smith who has been at the Globe for 2 decades.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/staff/smithse

I know the Globe's library was decimated with the move downtown last year but I have access to archives

upload_2018-7-8_2-36-1.png

upload_2018-7-8_2-40-58.png

What astounds me is that the graphic was well researched but he missed the major local one...............and nobody else caught it.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Globe has a new sports editor

Joe Sullivan had no use for hockey, let's see what the new overlord does

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
In the interim, he was, like, a car salesmen or "executive," no?

I ****ing hate Harry Sinden. Always have, always will.

He does seem to elicit a fair amount of love/hate in this fandom! I love some of the moves that he's made through-out the decades, but I HATE others that he made. Getting Brad Park from the Rangers was a huge win for him but losing guys like Dave Poulin, Andy Moog not so good. Trading Mike Krushelnyski for Kenny "Rat" Linseman I liked at first but hated later on. There are a multitude of examples like these.
Once Harry started worrying more about the business end of the team VS the on-ice product, telling Joe Juneau that if he expected a certain amount of
money he can "go learn how to yodel" is funny yet a really ****y thing to say. Then, he turns around and trades him for a burned out (mentally and physically wrecked) Al "The Planet" Iafrate" was ridiculous. The stories go on and on about Sinden and his massive ego. I live around 5 miles away from where he used to live in Winchester. One day I was at a red light and there in his white/gold Cadillac was Harry next to me. I recognized him, gave him a little nod of the head and a smile with a little wave. He looked at me in disgust, snarled and turned his head back around to await the light.
The look he gave me reminded me of how European royalty would look down on the "savage masses" with utter contempt. Harry must've been Marie Antoinette in his past life!

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
No way the Bruins lose the Cup in 1971 with Sinden coaching

He was a fantastic coach and could control that team

Tom Johnson was s long time Canadiens player coaching the Bruins

I’m still pissed over that
I agree,I think he had the respect of the players,Tom Johnson did not.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I agree,I think he had the respect of the players,Tom Johnson did not.

Tom socialized with the players after games - I don't believe Harry did.

Sinden would have pulled EJ in this debacle and perhaps even benched Orr who had the worst period of his career.

Reactions: Strafer

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
date:Jul 8, 2018, 3:57 PM
subject:Re: Sunday hockey notes graphic
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Hi Kevin, Thanks for your message and pointing this out. We will make a correction.
cleardot.gif

— Matt
Doesn't sound like he gave two s***s to tell you the truth. I cancelled my Globe delivery a while ago and I don't miss it at all.
Not just for the poor hockey reporting but for their overall slanted world view.

Reactions: Chief Nine

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Sure is.

View attachment 129105

The graphic was compiled by Sean Smith who has been at the Globe for 2 decades.

- The Boston Globe

I know the Globe's library was decimated with the move downtown last year but I have access to archives

View attachment 129107

View attachment 129109

Milt, the consummate gentleman & Bruin v. Sinden.

I rest my case.

What astounds me is that the graphic was well researched but he missed the major local one...............and nobody else caught it.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
He does seem to elicit a fair amount of love/hate in this fandom! I love some of the moves that he's made through-out the decades, but I HATE others that he made. Getting Brad Park from the Rangers was a huge win for him but losing guys like Dave Poulin, Andy Moog not so good. Trading Mike Krushelnyski for Kenny "Rat" Linseman I liked at first but hated later on. There are a multitude of examples like these.
Once Harry started worrying more about the business end of the team VS the on-ice product, telling Joe Juneau that if he expected a certain amount of
money he can "go learn how to yodel" is funny yet a really ****y thing to say. Then, he turns around and trades him for a burned out (mentally and physically wrecked) Al "The Planet" Iafrate" was ridiculous. The stories go on and on about Sinden and his massive ego. I live around 5 miles away from where he used to live in Winchester. One day I was at a red light and there in his white/gold Cadillac was Harry next to me. I recognized him, gave him a little nod of the head and a smile with a little wave. He looked at me in disgust, snarled and turned his head back around to await the light.
The look he gave me reminded me of how European royalty would look down on the "savage masses" with utter contempt. Harry must've been Marie Antoinette in his past life!

I don't know the guy. I do know someone who used to work for Jacobs, and liked him.

He forgets in one day more than I'll ever know about hockey, and perhaps he *was* a decent coach in a particular era. Perhaps, too, he was a successful, "hardball" GM for a time, until his bullshit penny-pinching stupidity caught up with him, and NO ONE wanted to sign with the B's.

Total prick. Eff him.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Tom socialized with the players after games - I don't believe Harry did.

Sinden would have pulled EJ in this debacle and perhaps even benched Orr who had the worst period of his career.

I remember the story of several Bruins led by Gregg Sheppard mocking Johnson,who,unknown to them had entered the lockerroom. Sheppard was soon traded

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad